Old 05-16-2012, 06:48 AM   #101
FF
Guru

"I would think any anchor would break out with a 180 degree reversal of pull. And most anchors will reset. But w an anchor that is not perfect (all as you pointed out) resetting is not a sure thing as Marin has pointed out. I think we are thinking as the bulk of anchor buyers would think. As soon as they thought of the 180 reversal they'd say nix on that one."

This is why Danforth in their booklet suggests using at least 2 Danforths (one is a stern anchor).

For inshore folks anchoring in a tidal river the prayer that the anchor will reset it self every few hours , the use of the stern anchor saves worry.

With a proper technique the stern anchor is but a moments work .

Far easier to learn how to do it , than keeping a night watch.

FF

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #102
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The problem w for and aft anchoring is that when the wind comes from the side the tension on the rodes is high and at least one anchor is going to drag. Of course if it drags enough the geometry will lessen the tension on the rodes but by that time one may be aground. Anchoring on the assumption that ther'e will be no wind is a dangerous proposition. But there are times and places where that is the best option......a good one or not usually wins when there is only one option.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #103

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The problem w for and aft anchoring is that when the wind comes from the side the tension on the rodes is high and at least one anchor is going to drag. Of course if it drags enough the geometry will lessen the tension on the rodes but by that time one may be aground. Anchoring on the assumption that ther'e will be no wind is a dangerous proposition. But there are times and places where that is the best option......a good one or not usually wins when there is only one option.
One anchor drags, the boat turns in the tide/wind/current and the rodes get tangled under the boat or in the prop/rudder and you've got a real mess. Never again for me.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #104
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
[QUOTE=manyboats;87218]The problem w for and aft anchoring is that when the wind comes from the side the tension on the rodes is high and at least one anchor is going to drag.../QUOTE]

That's why we use a small stern anchor. When we were on the Pacific coast of Mexico and Central America we would use stern anchor to keep the bow or stern into the swell. A lot of the anchorages are open road-stead. We have a 25 lb danforth with a float at the bitter end. If high side winds or a squall come up, we would either drag the stern anchor or drop the rode. We made sure we didn't have to worry about other boats when we did this. We never fouled with our running gear although we did get tangled up in a gill net once that had set behind us. Retrieval/setting is easy with the dinghy.

Here's a picture of Horizons, 105' supply vessel for Tyson's Choice. I shot the picture when we were in Costa Rica. They also have a stern anchor out. I didn't see what size it was but I'm sure it was smaller than their bow anchor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	11352  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #105
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
[QUOTE=Larry M;87230]
Quote:
The problem w for and aft anchoring is that when the wind comes from the side the tension on the rodes is high and at least one anchor is going to drag.../QUOTE]

That's why we use a small stern anchor. When we were on the Pacific coast of Mexico and Central America we would use stern anchor to keep the bow or stern into the swell. A lot of the anchorages are open road-stead. We have a 25 lb danforth with a float at the bitter end. If high side winds or a squall come up, we would either drag the stern anchor or drop the rode. We made sure we didn't have to worry about other boats when we did this. We never fouled with our running gear although we did get tangled up in a gill net once that had set behind us. Retrieval/setting is easy with the dinghy.

Here's a picture of Horizons, 105' supply vessel for Tyson's Choice. I shot the picture when we were in Costa Rica. They also have a stern anchor out. I didn't see what size it was but I'm sure it was smaller than their bow anchor.
excellent post with the total concept of anchoring...the sign of an avid and regular cruiser....at least in some parts of the world where all this works out ok due to bottom, depth, etc...etc...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #106
Guru

Larry,
That makes sense. Make sure which anchor is going to drag. And using a much smaller anchor to position the stern to orient the vessel into the swell is probably done very frequently in some places. Rolling is the pits. I have Thought about using fore and aft anchors a number of times to anchor in a small narrow spot without swinging room and consider it less than ideal for that. However in many of such places the wind is usually parallel to these narrow anchorages. Nice boat the Horizon.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #107
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Nice boat the Horizon.
Eric: We were fortunate to spend several days at 2 different anchors last year with Horizon and Tyson's Pride (brain fart in an earlier post when I said Tyson's Choice). Both are owned by the Tyson chicken family. Horizon is the supply/mother vessel to Tyson's Pride, a 72' Merritt. Horizon is a converted 105 foot supply vessel that carries over 100,000 gallons of fuel, 3 plus months of provisions with accommodations for guests and and crew from both vessels. Tyson's Pride goes out fishing during the day while Horizon moves to the next anchorage or sits tight. At night, Tyson's Pride side ties to Horizon. The crew plugs in and services her so she's ready to go the next day. Both vessels have pretty much been all over the world. They use cable/wire rope. I don't remember what type of anchor they use. It's an interesting set up and nice people even if we didn't get to go fishing with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	11353   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tyson's 5.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	11354  
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #108
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
And using a much smaller anchor to position the stern to orient the vessel into the swell is probably done very frequently in some places.
We do that on a regular basis since some of the bays we anchor in are fairly narrow so the waves from the outside always come straight down them even thought the wind in the bay can be off at an angle. So we use the stern anchor to hold us into the waves. We use a Fortress for our stern anchor. It's sized to be the boat's main anchor but it's very light so it's easy to deploy which encourages us to use it rather than enduring a rolling motion for hours on end.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #109
Guru

Haha.....never done multi-anchors but we've got a sack full of anchors and two rodes so we're ready to hang two. Prolly w a good weather forecast and enough slack to keep us off the beach or rocks. Ther'e will be plenty of the latter where wer'e going.

Speak'in of anchors my XYZ is in the machine shop getting it's experimental fluke tip made. The man's really busy this time of year so I hope he has the time to finish it.

Larry that sport fisher looks heavy in the stern but perhaps its just got low freeboard to do the fishing. Beautiful boats.