Old 04-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Why do anchors get lost? I fess up, lost two at Lake Powell when they slithered into an underwater slot canyon. But in the open water and an all chain rode - maybe a swivel met its match, hooked onto a logging cable, windlass crapped out so cut the tether line?
The anchor gets caught on an underwater obstruction or cable and the boater has to cut the rode to move on. This happened to a friend of mine but he is not the first or the last this has happened to.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:27 PM   #22
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
The anchor gets caught on an underwater obstruction or cable and the boater has to cut the rode to move on. This happened to a friend of mine but he is not the first or the last this has happened to.
This reminds me of our second time to charter in the Bahamas. We were trying to anchor close to a little beach we found on the charts the charter company gave us, but as I was trying to get my wits about me and get ready to anchor, a sailing cat swooped in pretty close to me and anchored up (quickly-- he knew what he was doing). I gut a little flustered and moved away from the spot and tried to anchor at another spot. Struggled to get the anchor to bite, but it finally did. I dove down to check it out, and almost sucked in water when I saw we were anchored on a big cable.

It was a rental boat and I didn't want to lose the anchor. We were only in about 8-10' of water but I'm not a good diver and my ears were hurting every time I dove down. I finally got a line tied to the anchor and tried to dislodge it from the cable by pulling it the opposite way with the dingy. That didn't work. Wife was in the dingy. Son was on the charter boat. I was floating around trying to give instructions. FUBAR. About then a group of Bahamians cruised up and said I shouldn't anchor were I was because the main electrical cable for the out islands ran through here. I told them thanks and they motored off. Now I was really freaking out-- I was hoping it wasn't an electrical cable but with that verified I was unsure what to do. It was nearing dusk so I finally just dove down (took three separate times IIRC) and jerked the anchor off the cable by hand, all the time thinking I was going to get electrocuted.

Not sure this was proper anchor dislodging protocol, but that's what I did.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote