Plow or Bruce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've used a 66 lb Lewmar claw, a Bruce knockoff, for the last 20 years on this boat. PNW and SE Alaska usage, mostly mud bottoms, occasionally gravel and rocks. Typical depth, 40-50 feet. 3/8" all-chain rode. Lewmar claws anchors are usually maligned on this forum, attracting lots of negative comments. But I've never had a failure with it and it sets on the first attempt every time. 3:1 scope works fine in wind less than about 20 kts. I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Always used my genuine Bruce. Only failed once picking up a clump of eel grass and ripping it out.
I've watched SV Panope's tests and they are good. However where I boat The Original Bruce is king. Sets in one anchor length and holds hard.

Jclays,
I suspect the name brand “Bruce” anchor is over rated.
When most of a group raves or bashes something it will generally promote most all others to fall in line w the popular opinion. Kind of like the bandwagon function.
My experience observing many variations in design among Claws indicates there may be several or more that are a match in capability w others of the same weight type. Throat angle for example is found to be in many variations. I think throat angle has a significant effect on holding performance .. especially a tendency to “break out”.
As to the strength of the parent material (steel) I think that the fact that I’ve never heard of a Claw anchoring experience that failed due to weak of the anchor metal shoots down the “only buy the forged steel Claw”…. as the way to go. Choose best via another feature of the anchor.
In short and generally speaking I think the jury’s out on Claw anchor performance.
More production boats are delivered w a Claw. The #1 reason is probably the fact that the Claw is probably very inexpensive to manufacture. But it could also have a lot to do w the possibility that that widely and generally speaking the Claw is a pretty good anchor … well surpassing it’s typical reputation about quality and desirability in the boating community.

I have a 1997 Mainship 350 in So Cal. I use a 44lb Genuine Bruce. Sets usually within one anchor length and holds very well. I use 3.5 and 5 to one scope as a rule. Chain is 5/16 100ft with 400ft 5/8 three strand nylon. Stern anchor is a 22h Danforth. 20ft 5/16 chain and 150ft 5/8 three strand nylon.
The Bruce clones suck. These rarely set properly. Most people who dont know any better call these Bruce anchor. Big difference.

I've used a 66 lb Lewmar claw, a Bruce knockoff, for the last 20 years on this boat. PNW and SE Alaska usage, mostly mud bottoms, occasionally gravel and rocks. Typical depth, 40-50 feet. 3/8" all-chain rode. Lewmar claws anchors are usually maligned on this forum, attracting lots of negative comments. But I've never had a failure with it and it sets on the first attempt every time. 3:1 scope works fine in wind less than about 20 kts. I'd buy another one tomorrow.
Glad yours works. There are many out there.
I am one of those that bad mouth a Lewmar claw only because the ones that I have seen lately are very blunt and thick on the leading edges. The older production Lewmars appear to be of better quality.
I do have a 44lb genuine Bruce and I love it.
My previous boat a 1966 28' Californian Cabin Cruiser I used a 22lb Bruce as well. Ran her 16 years without an issue on the Bruce.

Back
Top Bottom