Old 02-18-2017, 07:42 AM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
For Those With Bruce Anchors

My second anchor is a Bruce/claw.

Interesting video. Though I am not quite sure what the summation is on this?

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Simple, use 5:1 scope and you'll be fine. I anchored in all sorts of places with a right size Bruce and my drags were always on shorter scopes. The Bruce was replaced with a bigger Vulcan which has proven to be a real short scope workhorse. What is your primary anchor?

Further, I have never found a need for a backup anchor. Mine is a Fortress 55. Put a coat of Galvinizing on your Bruce and it will look good (unused too) forever!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:16 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My second anchor is an original Bruce 66 lbs. Usually works very well. I don't anchor less than 7:1 and avoid all the drama.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #4
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
My primary is a 110lb (genuine) Bruce with 350' of 1/2" chain. Like Ted, I always have 7:1 scope or better unless depth doesn't permit.

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
What is your primary anchor?
75# CQR plow.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
75# CQR plow.
Doing it "retro" (old school).

Ted
Old 02-18-2017, 10:28 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
75# CQR plow.
Possibly too small an anchor? HOPCAR could have the right size anchor to you before you depart. May I suggest a Vulcan?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
I have used a 33 and 66 Bruse with all chain. Both found the infamous Bruce rock and failed to hold even in almost calm conditions. Congrats on a great video!
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #9
TF Site Team

Quote:
75# CQR plow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Doing it "retro" (old school).

Ted
Quote:
Possibly too small an anchor? HOPCAR could have the right size anchor to you before you depart. May I suggest a Vulcan?
We've cruised 5 seasons in the Bahamas from Mayaguana to the Abacos. We had a cqr that worked well in grass where the Bruce didn't. We now have a Rocna that works better than the cqr in more varied conditions. 75lb anchor for a 53' boat, I'd upsize.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
FF
Guru

IF you don't have a real Danforth

a Bruce works almost as well, and is frequently easier to get on the bow roller.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:47 AM   #11
Guru

You guys and your anchors!
Old 02-18-2017, 12:59 PM   #12
Guru

Menzies

You most likely will do just fine with what you have. Raising the bash the Bruce specter is enticing though for those of us that have successfully anchored time and again with a right sized Bruce on decent scope.

Check out the other anchor thread about dragging a 45# Manson and now the owner is wondering why he removed a perfectly good larger Delta.

So long as submergible Go Pros exist any anchor can have its day in short scope court.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Menzies

You most likely will do just fine with what you have. Raising the bash the Bruce specter is enticing though for those of us that have successfully anchored time and again with a right sized Bruce on decent scope.

Check out the other anchor thread about dragging a 45# Manson and now the owner is wondering why he removed a perfectly good larger Delta.

So long as submergible Go Pros exist any anchor can have its day in short scope court.
Oh, I have no concerns at all regarding the tackle I have.

Just thought some would find the video interesting. And was wondering what was proven by it, to me nothing much at all.

Any anchor will lift with too short a scope, and who is to say what will hold with an engine going 3000 RPM in reverse!
Old 02-18-2017, 03:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I'll tackle the original question.

There's two parts of the test. 1. The short scope capability 2. The 3 knot tidal reversal. Or Veering test to the extreme.

1. Short scope performance is probably little known here as most are afraid to do it. The significance of Steve's test is that it's clear that the Bruce and a number of other anchors do have remarkable short scope performance. I have anchored from 2-1 to 3-1 in many anchorages in Alaska and when I speak of it here many are usually horrified that I would even try such a "stunt" and say that they would'nt anchor ever at less than 7-1.
One of the great things foruns do is expand our knowledge, opinions and come much closser tp knowing what others are doing. The Bruce has had a good rep for short scope for 40 years. But seeing it in action beats dock talk big time. Thank you Steve.

2. Steve's reversal test dos'nt show us much about what we may come up against as this violent of a reversal is very unlikely to happen. Gentle reversals are far far more likely to happen. That said the test shows some anchors can cope w it. That in itself is amazing. But the apparent causes give much opportunity for analysis. The Danforths dragged on their side! Something I would have thought impossible and points out the very important role the stock plays in the Danforth type anchor. The Supreme readily clogged w "salad" and that just about eliminated it's effectiveness.

So I think a great deal was learned and Steve showed us it was easy to uncover unknowns and show us there is always more to learn.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:25 PM   #15
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I'd like to hear what Nomad Willy and Eye Schulman might have to say on the video, being anchor gurus. Seems like bottom type is a big part of the equation in terms of scope required to stay put.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 03:49 PM   #16
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
... Seems like bottom type is a big part of the equation in terms of scope required to stay put.
That was my point in post #9. The Bahamas, where Menzies is heading, all have their own set of challenges; sand, grass, thin layers of sand over hard pan, rocky areas plus you're usually anchoring in depths less than 15' . A 5-1 scope is not very much even adding for the height of your bow. We rarely put out less than 100' and 125' is more the norm. The bottoms aren't very sticky there.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #17
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
That was my point in post #9. The Bahamas, where Menzies is heading, all have their own set of challenges; sand, grass, thin layers of sand over hard pan, rocky areas plus you're usually anchoring in depths less than 15' . A 5-1 scope is not very much even adding for the height of your bow. We rarely put out less than 100' and 125' is more the norm. The bottoms aren't very sticky there.
In the PNW and Alaska, and on mostly mud bottoms, it is rare that I'll use more than 3:1 scope with a 66 lb. Lewmar (Bruce knockoff), 3/8 all-chain rode. Maybe more if the wind comes up, but it would have to be blowing pretty hard to go to 5:1. I've always stayed put using this formula, 15 years in this Hatteras and with my earlier boats. On hard pan or rock though, more scope would certainly pay dividends.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:18 PM   #18
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Very timely this thread: I got very tired of plowing up my favourite anchorages, trying to get my old Delta to take a set so a friend got this for me, 30kg Trefoil (Italian Bruce clone) in 316 stainless. It's now the shiniest thing on my boat (the only shiny thing on my boat) and here it lurks, awaiting its first test.

This photo will look just right to our Aussie members, for the rest I apologize.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0962.jpg  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
My second anchor is a Bruce/claw.

Interesting video. Though I am not quite sure what the summation is on this?
Quote:
75# CQR plow.
Quote:
You guys and your anchors!
Hey you were the one who dug the hole, we just pushed you in.

Ted
Old 02-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
... Seems like bottom type is a big part of the equation in terms of scope required to stay put.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Quote:
In the PNW and Alaska, and on mostly mud bottoms, it is rare that I'll use more than 3:1 scope with a 66 lb. Lewmar (Bruce knockoff), 3/8 all-chain rode. Maybe more if the wind comes up, but it would have to be blowing pretty hard to go to 5:1. I've always stayed put using this formula, 15 years in this Hatteras and with my earlier boats. On hard pan or rock though, more scope would certainly pay dividends.
OK, I have one of those dreaded Lewmar Claw Bruce knockoffs. Mine is only 33 lbs/15 kg on my 24000 Lb 34 LRC. Mine has served me well in the SF Bay and CA Delta where I operate but YMMV.

Great info in these 3 posts, IMO. The bottom matters...and in my area, depths less than 15 ft grow grass and weeds and I avoid anchoring in them except for the MOST protected coves. Fortunately we have LOTS of semi-sticky mud that to me seems just right. Just sticky enough to hold the anchor but it's relatively easy to wash off. Often, I don't even have to rinse it.

If you're not bare-handing the rode, why not put out lots? Aside from crowded conditions, I let it a lot hang out there...never less than 100 ft.

I frequently anchor near Alcatraz Island facing the Golden Gate for Fleet Week in San Francisco. It's typically 50 ft deep and the place is packed with boats of all kinds. Several times I have anchored there at 3:1 without a concern. The thing about crowds at events like this is that some know how to anchor and, as I found out, some don't. I was anchored in about 40 ft with 240 out - about a 5:1 scope. That's when a 65 ft Hatteras landed on my bow like a pickle on a fork. My anchor held me AND him in about 15K of wind on an opposite direction ebb flow.

Since then I have anchored overnight with my boat plus a rafted 40+ ft trawler (40 DeFever and 42 GB) on my single claw without dragging. I will admit to laying out 7:1 for raftups and other times when room allows. Why not run the windlass a few more seconds? It's not costing me anything.

In my area, on my boat and IMO, the claw is king. But then again, YMMV...

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote