Old 07-23-2012, 01:43 PM   #41

City: Thorndike
Vessel Name: Periwinkle
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
I can confirm with twiisted. The fortress or danforth style anchor does not work well with a grassy or weed bottom. We regularly drag and anchor here on Buzzards Bay Mass. Many anchorages with grassy / sea weed bottoms. The fortress is a pain to set. Many are using a plow style anchor.
kpinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #42
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelikx View Post
@JAT
after so many years of continouus use (20 that felt even longer ), I wonder whether you ever adjusted the fluke angel of your Fortress
For me, the higher finish compared with the Guardian would not justify the price difference, but higher holding power in mud or very fine sand probably would (actually, this is why I opted for Fortress as a second anchor). I just wonder if you (or someone else) have any real live experiences where changing the fluke angel had an effect.
I've always had it set to the deepest angle, and always had the mud palms installed. We have a tendency to anchor where there are soft bottoms... So we have it set up for maximum holding.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #43
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
JAT,
That's interesting. I contemplated that some time ago. How many times have you done that? I wonder what Fortress would think.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #44
Scraping Paint

City: -
They'd probably think JAT was pretty smart for using a feature they'd designed into the anchor that most people are probably too lazy to take advantage of.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:00 PM   #45
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
JAT,
That's interesting. I contemplated that some time ago. How many times have you done that? I wonder what Fortress would think.

Quite a lot of times.... And it works well.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #46
Guru

Marin, they would think JAT was a rebel like me for not using the anchor as it was designed to be used. I have seen other Danforth anchors that that have a wider throat angle w no options but they are heavier anchors. I think JAT would be slightly better off using the Fortress as it is intended but as I said who am I to say. JAT is a favorite here for me and I'd rather not be as critical as usual either.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:07 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I think JAT would be slightly better off using the Fortress as it is intended but as I said who am I to say. JAT is a favorite here for me and I'd rather not be as critical as usual either.
As intended? Fortress designed the anchor so the flukes can be set in two different positions. They wouldn't have done that if they hadn't intended the buyer to use it both ways if they wanted to. So it seems to me JAT is using his Fortress exactly as the manufacturer intended.

The guys using their Bruce's to grapple for landscape rocks are not using their anchors as intended.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:36 PM   #48
Guru

Marin,
Fortress does say to use the larger throat angle for very soft bottoms. I read that more realistically to mean to use the smaller throat angle for all other bottoms. How can it otherwise be taken?

And yes JAT if you can set it hard it will hold better than any other anchor of it's weight on earth. I think that's safe to say even w Marin lurking about in the shadows.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #49
Scraping Paint

From all the anchor tests I've looked at--- and yes, I know anchor tests can be skewed but if you look at enough of them they do indicate some basic trends--- the Danforth/Fortress anchors are almost always at the top in terms of holding power in the bottoms they are suited for, which are mainly sand and mud.

So Eric will get no argument from me with regards to the holding power potential of the Fortress. That and its low weight are the two reasons we chose an FX23 to be the stern anchor/backup main anchor for our boat.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:44 PM   #50
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
I've anchored for years with a Fortress FX-23 on various boats, including my current Krogen 42 in soft mud on the Gulf coast. I've always used the standard fluke angle, not the more open one and never had a problem. I've had 6 boats rafted up to me in Offatt's bayou in Galveston on this anchor in a sustained 15 knot wind with no movement. All chain rode, 4:1 scope. Can't say enough good about it! I've never had a need for the extended angle.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #51
Guru

4-1 kept us in place in a 50+ knot gale w only a short length of chain. Never had a Fortress but have anchored w a steel Danforths many times at 3-1 including once w 35 knot winds. All the Danforths that are good seem to hold well at short scope. Keith, how does the Fortress do wind or current reversal?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #52
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Never had a problem. I have sharpened the tips, but then we hardly ever see grass or seaweed on the bottoms around here.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #53
FF
Guru

"The fortress or danforth style anchor does not work well with a grassy or weed bottom."
" Many are using a plow style anchor."

The use of the proper anchor for each location is vastly easier if there are 2 different styles ready on the bow rollers .

Easy to spot the dock side condos from the cruisers , with a glance at the anchor handling setup.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #54
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"The fortress or danforth style anchor does not work well with a grassy or weed bottom."
" Many are using a plow style anchor."
The use of the proper anchor for each location is vastly easier if there are 2 different styles ready on the bow rollers .
Easy to spot the dock side condos from the cruisers , with a glance at the anchor handling setup.
Or, as Marin said, you could use a multi-substrate capable type like the Rocna or Sarca, which work well on virtually any bottom, obviating the need for multi-roller set-ups...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #55
FF
Guru

"you could use a multi-substrate capable type like the Rocna or Sarca, which work well on virtually any bottom, obviating the need for multi-roller set-ups..."

If you believe their advertising ,

In playing "YOU BET YOUR BOAT",

I prefer tried and true to advert HYPE.

But then I use 2 anchors most nights too.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #56
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I/we don't have to believe their advertising FF, Marin and I actually use these things, so we know. Much different from just believing advertising. Speaking for myself, I have never had to put out two anchors - not on any night no matter how nasty.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #57
Scraping Paint

If one reads the user reviews from the people who use these anchors all the time under pretty challenging conditions it becomes very obvious how good these anchors are. A DC-3 was a great plane in its day, too, but if I actually want to go somewhere I'll take a 777.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #58
Guru

Marin if your listening to user reviews just listen to Peter about the SARCA and go buy one. He gives it high marks. Like you give Rocna. In the stratosphere!0

Anybody know anything about the Quick Line Anchor?

FF prolly uses 2 Ankers the way they should be used.

I'm decommissioning Willy and hauling her out till March or so. No time w all this move stuff going on.

Marin don't knock the DC-3. They are better looking than any boing ever built. That smokes.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #59
Scraping Paint

Eric-- If you already have a Rolls Royce it makes no sense to buy a Cadillac.

Quote:
Marin don't knock the DC-3. They are better looking than any boing ever built. That smokes.
Ever seen a Boeing 247? First all-metal commercial transport in the US and the design that inspired the Douglas DC-1.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #60
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Two friends with sailing yachts have Super Sarcas, both report consistently fast sets and good holding, well exceeding the CQRs replaced. I just bought one at the Sydney BoatShow,a No.6,22kg.My CQR, which performs quite well,will become back up. As with many things, there have been significant advances in design in the last 30 years. BruceK
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote