Our new anchor came in today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That’s rather interesting.
It’s CQR heritage is obvious. But the shank is just what I was thinking about for a modified CQR in my habitual day dreaming. I wasn’t thinking of modifying the fluke though.

But the fluke shown here looks good to me. It’s definitely in the high aspect ratio camp. Definitely not a CQR fluke. Long and narrow like an Excel and the Excel works very well indeed. But this one lacks the Rex Francis turned down toe and elephant ears aft.

Do you know what this anchor is .. brand wise?
Looks a bit like your modified XYZ Eric. Other than that, I don`t recognize it, but for sure someone will. It`s no plow/plough /CQR. No hinge for a start.

That’s rather interesting.
It’s CQR heritage is obvious. But the shank is just what I was thinking about for a modified CQR in my habitual day dreaming. I wasn’t thinking of modifying the fluke though.

But the fluke shown here looks good to me. It’s definitely in the high aspect ratio camp. Definitely not a CQR fluke. Long and narrow like an Excel and the Excel works very well indeed. But this one lacks the Rex Francis turned down toe and elephant ears aft.

Do you know what this anchor is .. brand wise?

We don’t know what brand it is. Didn’t see a stamp on it anywhere. Will look closer when we go back to the marina.

We are going to FWB tomorrow to buy that used chain I posted about previously.

Also ordered a new windlass motor.

The color does not match

For being so controversial, you would think boaters would not announce their choice so proudly on the bow. It would be best to design a drop box in the hull that can hide the incorrect choice of anchor.

I guess I'm missing something or learned wrong. You need 5000 pounds of pull to break out an anchor pulling straight up? Who would try to pull it free horizontally?

For being so controversial, you would think boaters would not announce their choice so proudly on the bow. It would be best to design a drop box in the hull that can hide the incorrect choice of anchor.
I'm thinking of making a canvas cover with a piece of curved PEX tubing stitched into it. Turns my unfashionable Bruce into a Rocna.

Manson has the perfect anchor.
Can’t remember what it’s called but a hole is made in the bottom of the boat that the anchor fits into vertically .. like a Danforth w the shank sticking up. The anchor is never seen by anybody unless the boat is hauled and the anchor lowered. The bottom of the anchor becomes flush w the hull bottom when raised essentially becoming part of the hull.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. NW. Perfect anchor? Hole in bottom of boat? Can't be seen by anyone (How do you remove any fouling?)? Mmmm....I don't think so.

200w.webp

What about boats where the anchor lives in a slot cut through the bowsprit? You can only use one anchor, short of messing about to replace it without risk of dropping it in the deep while disconnecting. No second roller for an alternative anchor either. Why do mfrs do that? Sure it looks neat and tidy, but it`s silly. Riviera do it, others too. Makes no sense to me. Too limiting.
We like to lift our Super Sarca out of position and stand it nearby, on its end where it sits fine, to free up the bow roller when picking up a mooring ball so we get a nice straight pull on it, can`t do that if it`s in a slot.
Could bowsprit strength be a consideration.

What about boats where the anchor lives in a slot cut through the bowsprit? You can only use one anchor, short of messing about to replace it without risk of dropping it in the deep while disconnecting. No second roller for an alternative anchor either. Why do mfrs do that? Sure it looks neat and tidy, but it`s silly. Riviera do it, others too. Makes no sense to me. Too limiting.

Yeah...

I suspect builders who do that don't really envision our boats being at anchor all that often... and anchoring, if any, might be limited to a relatively small geographic area with a common holding ground material so that the one single anchor might be chosen based on local conditions...

Or something like that...

I think that kind of design philosophy (?) flows through to other areas too: limited original battery capacity, electric galley, etc.

My "second anchor" solution is a stowable Fortress, which happens to also be appropriate for our local holding ground substrate (mud, sometimes slimy) but also partly because I can physically handle the weight of a relatively large model... but I would still much prefer just having a second roller with our "hot spare" being instantly available all the time.

-Chris

We like to lift our Super Sarca out of position and stand it nearby, on its end where it sits fine, to free up the bow roller when picking up a mooring ball so we get a nice straight pull on it, can`t do that if it`s in a slot.
Could bowsprit strength be a consideration.

I carried at least three anchors on Possum for almost thirty years. Two of them never got wet. My main anchor was a Delta that lived in a slot on the pulpit (not bowsprit, those are for laundry boats).

I could launch and recover the Delta from the helm with the push of a button. I could have easily switched to the Danforth that was hanging on the bow rail but I never felt the need. The Danforth would have held better in clean sand or mud but the Delta was always good enough. If you carry any of the modern anchors of appropriate size, they should be good enough in all bottom types.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t carry a spare anchor and rode, just that you shouldn’t need to use the spare except when you lose your primary anchor.

That said, I’ve seen many boats with two anchor slots in their pulpit.

“those are for laundry boats).“
hahaha.....

They should have added a mushroom anchor. To see if ronca could beat that.

dd,
I thought we had a new anchor test ... but no.
This is just a mag article made up from the Fortress test a few years back.

Any anchor tests since then???
No .. as far as I know.

Would like to see the Vulcan running w the others.
Don’t like the company but the anchor has strong possibilities me thinks.

Rocna vulcan

Having had good results with the rocna with the hoop I wanted to stay with rocna when I switched to a trawler. Have a bowsprit with an anchor slot. Traditional rocna would not fit so I went with the Vulcan and have nothing but praise for it. It sets quicker than any other anchor I've ever used, stows easily, in fact the only problem I've had is that it takes a hard pull to break it out. Mine saw us thru hurricane Irma so of course I'm very fond of it.

Good choice. :)

Attachments

• A6D5BB22-9197-421E-85F5-1D779616B839.jpg
    A6D5BB22-9197-421E-85F5-1D779616B839.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 61
Having had good results with the rocna with the hoop I wanted to stay with rocna when I switched to a trawler. Have a bowsprit with an anchor slot. Traditional rocna would not fit so I went with the Vulcan and have nothing but praise for it. It sets quicker than any other anchor I've ever used, stows easily, in fact the only problem I've had is that it takes a hard pull to break it out. Mine saw us thru hurricane Irma so of course I'm very fond of it.

Great to know!

So on getting a bigger anchor - how much bigger anchor can a Lewmar v4 with 5/16 chain handle? Original boat specs call for a 44 lb bruce-type?

We love our Vulcan. Used it all over the Bahamas for 8 months, along the S. coast of PR, and now occasionally in the Virgins (because mooring is the norm here). Sets quickly, and once set, it has never come loose, not once.

I’m not saying you shouldn’t carry a spare anchor and rode, just that you shouldn’t need to use the spare except when you lose your primary anchor.

That said, I’ve seen many boats with two anchor slots in their pulpit.

Crowded tidal current area where resets are difficult (hard pack) and midnight collisions are certain. The Bahamian Moor concept.

After watching the Racon Vulcan bury itself in the mud (video), I wonder if I should get two. The 2nd one to use when I cant get the first out of the mud. The only way I can see breaking it loose is to swing 180 degrees, take up any loose chain and back down hard.

Dan you should not ever have two anchors the same.

When you go to to an anchorage that’s unknown to you you want to have two or three anchors all of a different type to maximize the kinds of bottoms that you can hook up to.

Your post says you think your anchor is so perfect it will anchor up on any bottom that exists. Only dreamers and others not connected to reality would have so much confidence in one anchor. Marin Fare appeared to have such notions but he was a smart guy so I’m sure he was just pushing the capabilities of his favorite anchor.
But if you have one anchor and are contemplating another since you’re spending your money to that end you may as well get the second anchor that is good where the other is not. I’m not implying your present anchor is weak but all anchors do “better” or not so good on certain bottoms .. or at certain scopes or at reversals ect ect. But even if you have an anchor that can’t be said to have a weak spot you still can have a different anchor as your second by getting a bigger or smaller version of this favorite anchor.

Get a different anchor as your second.

Last edited:
Dan you should not ever have two anchors the same.

Get a different anchor as your second.

Nomad, I never said I have only one anchor, sorry for any misunderstanding. I was pointing out that this particular anchor, via the video, dug itself in deep and it would be IMHO difficult to retrieve the anchor if it dug as deep as the video showed.
I do have 2 different anchors. The primary anchor is 44# plow. The second is a Fortress FX16. The Fortress is mounted to the house roof. I have the recommended length of chain. I do not have 300 of rode but, I do have 'traveling lines', when tired together will provide more than 300 feet.

Dan,
You said “I wonder if I should get two”.

Well that’s good. And bad.
The Fortress is hard to call on setting. Any weed or Kelp would threaten any Danforth type. And the CQR is universally known as poor setting. On a hard bottom both of your anchors will/may be questionable re setting. A Claw would be a better companion to either the Fortress or the plow.

Eric, I misspoke again. The standard anchor on the AT is a 44# claw.

It was a reference to "two anchors" the Vulcan. One as a back up to the first Vulcan anchor after it buries itself so deep I cant get it to break loose. I do agree, in the case of a hurricane, the Vulcan would appear to be ideal.

There are still some people out there who believe you can drag the boat to the anchor and then use the windlass to break if loose.
I do believe the correct procedure is to slowly move the boat up to the anchor while taking up the slack chain. Once near or on top of the anchor, move the boat on a 45 degree or greater to break loose the anchor, then retrieve the anchor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom