Ordered to raise anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Egregious wrote:psneeld wrote:
The USCG and all marine law enforcement have LIMITED authority.* USCG and most can board for safety inspections only unless probable cause.* They are limited to where they can look and only stuff that's in plain view unless they have probable cause.

*Question:* Can they look in the E/R or other areas to check that the holding tank and head*valves are set up and*secured in the proper positions etc?

Also:* when I first bought my boat there was a time when I honestly didn't know where those valves were located.* Would/Should they have given me a ticket if I had been stopped?

Now I'm legal, but when I first delivered our boat the macerator pump was set to pump overboard and was tied down in that position!* Ouch!

*Yes to the engine room and most bilge spaces...the legal description for areas they could/can go into or look into were always called "man sized spaces"...another description would be public or manned spaces...however bilge spaces are supject to inspection for too much water or pollution in the bilge.* What they are NOT allowed to look into without warrant or permission would be drawers, lockers, under seats/berths...etc...etc because they aren't really part of a safety inspection.

As far your holding/head discharge*handles...yep could have been fined but from what I've been told...it's a rarity in most places.

Yes when I was boarded they asked to see the holding tank. However since I was in a river in a place where I could not leave the helm, my wife was below showing the documents. She*was not*really able*to move furnature and lift hatches, so they did not inspect in there. I believe that since all of our documentation was very organized in one binder *and all in order they figured the rest of the boat was as well.

Like I said, the crew was more than polite and considerate.

What documents, other than the CG (Homeland Security) Certificate of Documentation, and State registration/tax sticker if applicable, does the CG want to see?

dwhatty wrote:
What documents, other than the CG (Homeland Security) Certificate of Documentation, and State registration/tax sticker if applicable, does the CG want to see?
*Depends on what waters you are on but in general here's a recent article* written by an active duty coastie....a good idea is to get the USCGAUX examination decal (not that it's necessarily a great inspection or the Auxiliarist doing it knows anything other than their opinion and other only somewhat useful info...some are great tho!)...because often if the decal is clearly seen...they will leave you alone if in busy US waters.

In the event, you have neither a recent CME decal or CG Boarding Report, the boarding officer will inspect your boat. The boarding officer will first ask to see a Certificate of Registration or a Certificate of Documentation. In most cases, boaters carry a state registration. The registration must be current and it must be an original. Also, a state drivers licence (not mandatory) will be requested to confirm ownership on the registration. Unfortunately, too often, many boaters carry a current registration decal on the boat hull, but fail to carry the original registration certificate aboard. In that event, the boarding officer must call in to confirm ownership. Registration checks sometimes can take longer than the inspection.

So, make sure you carry a current registration aboard. By the way, the information on the registration- like year built, hull identification number, address, etc. are required on the 4100 form. In addition, the 4100 form contains a list of equipment and safety items required on aboard recreational boats. This list varies according to the boat size. Lack of safety equipment will draw a violation, or a warning may be issued depending on the discrepancy. If theres no offenses, the boater will be issued a good as gold 4100 yellow copy.

In the event, a violation is noted, a copy of the 4100 form will be mailed to a CG hearing officer who will then make a judgment on the violation. First time offenders normally are directed to correct the discrepancy and to show proof. If cited again for the same violation, expect a fine.

Obviously, the best way to avoid violations is to be squared away. Thats why were passing the word now at the season start so you can make your boat as good as gold. How do you do that? Get your hands on The Federal Requirements and Safety Tips for Recreational Boats pamphlet. This excellent user friendly, all you-need-to-know hand-size brochure is your ticket to passing a Coast Guard boarding, but better yet its a sure ticket to a safe boating season. You can obtain one at your local Coast Guard Station or call the Coast Guard Boating Safety Infoline at 800-368-5647 (Alexander Virginia) to have one mailed.

dwhatty wrote:
*Like everything to do with enforcement folks--- customs, immigration, police, USCG, etc--- a lot depends on the individuals doing the inspections or processing the paperwork.* This is as true in China or Norway or ______ as it is here.

We have been boarded twice by the USCG so far.* In each case we were asked if the boat was documented* which it is (which I suspect they already knew), at which point they wanted to see the documentation papers. They were not interested in our state registration or whether or not we had a current state registration decal on display.* And at some point during their boat inspection they wanted to see the documentation number on the boat itself, which in our case is in on the inside of the transom in the lazarette courtesy of a previous owner.

I suspect had we not been a documented boat they would have wanted to see the state registration as that's the other thing on the boat that shows who owns it.

They did not ask us for personal identification.* At least I don't remember them asking us for it.* I was at the wheel both times and I don't recall having to get my wallet out to show them my Washington license.

They did not ask to see proof of insurance although we have it on board.* They did not ask if we had a current customs sticker.* They did not ask to see the dog's vaccination papers (which we have on board).* They did want to see the "don't dispose of crap overboard" placards.* On one occasion they wanted to see our carbon monoxide warning sticker.

None of this means they won't ask you for any of the things our two boarding parties didn't ask us for--- the potential is always there so Scott's recomendation to have all your bases covered is a smart one.

PS--- A great example of how all this is at the whim of the officials on the scene occured when our current dog, Albi, was just a puppy.* We were heading back to port across Bellingham Bay and Albi indicated that he wanted to go out on deck NOW.* So my wife took the helm and I took Albi out.** He went to the foredeck where he lifted his leg against the side of the forecabin and peed forever as dogs sometimes do.* I stood there facing forward watching him and as he finished there was a roar right beside me.

I turned around to see one of Immigration's big gray, triple-engined SAFE boats doing a full power 180 right beside us and it accelerated away across the bay.* I took Albi back inside and asked my wife what the deal was.* She said the Immigration boat had approached from our starboard quarter with it's lights flashing.* As they got up beside us they had spotted Albi peeing on the foredeck and they all started laughing.* My wife gestured to them "do you want me to slow down" and they continued laughing and waved an "okay" and roared off which is when I became aware of their presence.

Note to drug and human traffic smugglers--- Always have a puppy on board who has to pee.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 27th of January 2012 01:34:39 PM

FlyWright wrote:
Last June, I was approaching Port Chicago while a large ship was being loaded with munitions.* I was approached by the USCG and very politely and almost apologetically directed to follow a secondary channel further from the loading dock.* I found the CG personnel to be extremely professional and pleasant.* No complaints here.* They're just doing their jobs and I'm glad they are there.
We've had*a similar*experience in the same place.* Smiling young men with large guns.* very professional.* Can't complain.

It has been my understanding that the only people that can have you stopped and perform an "EVERYWHERE" inspection (usually they are in a USCG little boat) are the agriculture and insect folks.

In Fl the "Land of Bugs and Drugs" this is more common for cruising boats near the better deeper inlets .

Back
Top Bottom