Old 08-27-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Northill

Anyone ever used a 35 pound Northill? Folding stainless steel Fisherman. They were used on the PBY flying boat. A "boat" with a hell of a windage profile....LOL. Must have worked well for the military.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #2

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
great anchor.

I have one aboard as a spare.

If I could find a 45lb one, I would make it my primary.
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:29 AM   #3
FF
Guru

If you are not in love with it a fellow was looking for the SS anchor for his Catalina aircraft restoration.

Was wanted on this sites for sale list , try searching Catalina .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Jimisbell,
Pics of my steel aviation Northill style are on thread “Anchor Depth/Performance Reversals” on page 6 post 116.
I have a very similar Northill. Thought it was heavier but it’s only 14lbs. Never tried it. I’d like to see the details of your SS anchor.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 02:29 PM   #5
Guru

Here’s a picture I took an hour ago.
Attached Thumbnails
F7328998-3762-4EAC-866B-2BDBF8A9ABF6.jpg   DBABA7D1-194E-4D59-94E1-67D9E1728E22.jpg  

Old 09-02-2018, 07:01 AM   #6
FF
Guru

The SS was used for aircraft so stowing the anchor would not mess the compass system.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I've read that when winds shift 180 degrees (happens here quite often in the winter) or when currents reverse the anchor chain can foul on the fluke facing up, resulting in the anchor tumbling along the bottom...plausible?
Old 09-02-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I used the large ss folding one on my commercial fishing boat. Held in any bottom, used with all chain.
Sure wish someone would make them again.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
Guru

Lepke,
Many thousands of them in BC. Almost all are locally made in weld shops ect. And the’re made of plate mild steel. They love them.

Old 09-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
I've read that when winds shift 180 degrees (happens here quite often in the winter) or when currents reverse the anchor chain can foul on the fluke facing up, resulting in the anchor tumbling along the bottom...plausible?
Absolutely. It happened to my on my Fluke-style Anchor (Fortress). chain fouled on a little it of the exposed bar and mud tab. That is the first thing I thought of when I saw the Northill. I'm not comfortable with an anchor design that can get fouled on its own chain.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 06:07 PM   #11
Guru

But almost never does the chain come back right over the top of the set anchor. Almost always the rode swings around as in a circle. Wind and water current don’t change suddenly. It can happen though.

As a feature I’d much prefer the bullet proof setting abilities.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #12
Guru

On the aircraft anchors there’s a hollow V shaped depression in the center of the fluke that may give mud packing problems. It’s there for strength I’m sure but it’s not a feature of the Canadian home (or small shop) Nothills. They are heavy. Not something fishermen would be concerned about. Speaking of Canadians I wish a few would comment here about how well they work. How often the rode snags the non-working fluke would be nice to know about. Most of the comments to that end are theory only. I suspect it’s a fairly rare occurance judging by the very large number using these anchors. Most Candaian fish boats have one on the bow.
If I was to use my aircraft Northill a lot (probably not) I’d drill some holes in the V shaped depression to sluce out the mud. Would make a good experiment.

Old 09-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
If I was to use my aircraft Northill a lot (probably not) I’d drill some holes in the V shaped depression to sluce out the mud. Would make a good experiment.
I will be picking up my 31 pound Northill in Oklahoma on Tuesday (according to charts, this size will hold a boat twice my size) . I will send pictures of it with some size reference in the picture. (All the pictures I have seen up till now had nothing in the picture for size reference.) I will wait on drilling holes till I have some experience with it in mud. Down here on the Gulf I see a lot of those "Homemade" Northills on the Shrimp Boats. The flukes are just a flat piece of 3/8" steel plate cut in a heart shape, Those guys are always getting "caught out" as their living is dependent on going out in ALL weather. I dont think they would use a homemade anchor if it didnt work.

The Northill will be my primary anchor because I want something that ALWAYS sets.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:03 AM   #14
Guru

“Always sets”

Can’t think of anything that would prevent the AC Northill from setting. Short of mechanical failure.
Charts? What charts?

Best anchor for that in a commercial product would be the Super Sarca ....... IMO.

Old 09-07-2018, 11:23 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
“Always sets”

Can’t think of anything that would prevent the AC Northill from setting. Short of mechanical failure.
Charts? What charts?

Best anchor for that in a commercial product would be the Super Sarca ....... IMO.

I have some tables published by Northill that show the size, weight, maximum pull, size of boat, etc.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:14 PM   #16
QB

City: San Diego and Gabriola
Vessel Name: Skookum Maru
Vessel Model: Ed Monk design #1924
I have two folding Northills. I've used them as a stern anchor, but I wouldn't use them as a main anchor unless there there was no other option. They are made of stamped thin stainless plate, and the parts that make them foldable are another weak point. And they share the same poor design as the welded, cast, or forged steel versions: Only one of the relatively small flukes is going to be buried when the anchor is set, and they can easily foul. Any of the "new generation" designs makes for a better anchor.

Roger C. Taylor, in Elements of Seamanship: "Don't use lightweight seaplane anchors on boats; they make as much sense as lead keels on airplanes."
QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #17
Guru

jinisbell,
Thanks.

QB,
HaHa everybody’s got an opinion. I’ve got lots.
The structural question is a good point though. But the home grown variety look quite strong mostly but most (almost all I’m sure) are made of mild steel. Rocna tried that. The Northill stocks are definitely weak despite the very clever engineering employed.
Folks have been telling me to buy a new car most all my life. It’s easy to say “buy a new anchor”. Dosn’t make the best interesting conversation though. But if you wanted to make a bullet proof statement saying buy a new one is about as good as it gets. Not bullet proof though.

Again I’d like to hear from the Canadians that use Northills regulary.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:51 PM   #18
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Local guy has had this 34 lb. SS Northill on Craigslist for quite a while now. $200

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/bpo/...682009298.html

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #19
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
My storm anchor is a Northill that was a gift. The 45 CQR that was my main anchor till the Rocna Vulcan replaced it pull this Northill up from our anchorage on the loop in Ontario. It had a short length of three strand that had parted from who ever lost it. Not sure of the weight, feels like 50 lbs or so, maybe some one can id it from the R20 casting. The folding steel cross piece folds nicely with the shank for stowage as in the photos and has a clip midway to center it when deployed.
Attached Thumbnails
0361E842-BF03-42A6-AD87-6CB6C7BF0896.jpg   EF0DAA6A-A582-4676-8A27-BC9936067D2D.jpg   F619B0D5-F376-447E-8194-07A4FD4EC0FC.jpg  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:32 PM   #20
Guru

I got my new "Storm" anchor for the trawler yesterday. Dropped by and picked it up in Norman OK. after buying n on EBay. Its a 31 pound Northill SS folding anchor that was made for a PBY flying boat. Its about twice the size needed to hold "Waltz Across Texas" in almost any blow, maybe even a hurricane.
We stopped by and visited for a while with the last owners of the anchor, Ib and Tessy in Norman OK. They are good people that are thinking about retiring and doing some serious cruising. I hope we will get a chance to visit wit them again soon.

Pictures tomorrow. I am too tired to do them today after a 500 mile drive.