Northill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys are right and I am wrong. I wasted $175on a POS. I will see you on the other side of the Hurricane. maybe.

Jim,
I’m sorry ... I don’t think I said anything untrue but since much was opinionated it’s possible. Obviously I don’t think they are a POS as I bought one and I’ve never used an anchor for yard art.

You didn’t use it to anchor in a hurricane did you? You’d be on the fringe so you’d prolly be fine. You were comparing it to regular anchors that have less surface area per-lb so it’s prolly got pretty good holding power for it’s weight. Just get a good storm anchor and take advantage of the great dependability of the Northill for everyday anchoring.

You guys are right and I am wrong. I wasted $175on a POS. I will see you on the other side of the Hurricane. maybe.

Not you're not wrong at all. This forum is about opinion and sharing experiences. That folding airplane anchor of yours probably stores perfectly in your lazarette. Add 6ft of 5/16" chain plus a bunch of nylon/8 plait, and you have a perfect stern anchor that can be manually retrieved. Or a great backup to your bower.

If you're cruising far and wide then you'll probably have 3 or 4 anchors onboard anyway. I'd like to see a photo of it if you have one.

"It had to hold a huge twin engine airplane with a huge wing above it against wind. I think it was well suited for that."

All US Navy flying boats were manned 24/7 when anchored.

The flying boats has special wheel rigs that were used to pull the air craft.

One fellow I worked with claimed on a deployment from the west coast in a Martin P5 Marlin the skipper and xo would take off 1/2 hour early so their crew would get to stay ashore.

The game for the junior officers was to beat the honchos to Hawaii , with out running out of gas, so their crew did not have anchor watch.

Last edited:
Northhill a storm anchor?

Not sure I would consider it a storm anchor with hinged parts and easily fouled design. Non folding ones only slightly better.

Plus.....

https://youtu.be/fNnRi-ROohg

The Northill is probably about or almost as easily fouled as the Danforths.

With such a small fluke I think this vid performance is quite remarkable. Should hold a 25’ boat in anything but a gale. A twelve pound anchor w only a fluke as big as a 6lb anchor w a 40hp diesel running/pulling at 3000rpm. The aircraft anchor has a really big fluke compared to the cast steel original Northills due to it’s overall lightweight. I have a small steel Northill and the fluke is very small.
All anchor performance re holding should be per pound of anchor. If I had a 14lb Claw I could compare it’s performmance to my 14lb aviation steel Northill. My guess is that it should top the Claw easily. And of course w/o the Claws downsides.

If it ever stops raining I will post pictures of a 30 pound folding Northill. Its still in my trunk as it has been raining like hell for the past three days. Yesterday the TV said we had 7" but my instruments here at the house measured 14".

I went to the boat during a 1/2 hour lull and was pleased to see that it was still floating and the bilge dry....my cockpit drains are fond of plugging up with Mesquite leaves. that blow in with the wind so I worry about taking on water in a downpour and not onboard to clear the drains. Got to start taking my chain saw to the problem.

The Northill is probably about or almost as easily fouled as the Danforths.

With such a small fluke I think this vid performance is quite remarkable. Should hold a 25’ boat in anything but a gale. A twelve pound anchor w only a fluke as big as a 6lb anchor w a 40hp diesel running/pulling at 3000rpm. The aircraft anchor has a really big fluke compared to the cast steel original Northills due to it’s overall lightweight. I have a small steel Northill and the fluke is very small.
All anchor performance re holding should be per pound of anchor. If I had a 14lb Claw I could compare it’s performmance to my 14lb aviation steel Northill. My guess is that it should top the Claw easily. And of course w/o the Claws downsides.
I don't believe they foul with the same ease.

One lies flat and usually buries, the other quite possibly can have half the anchor sticking straight up.

do you have evidence that it ever happens?

Do you have evidence that it doesn't?

I just have overwhelming logic and as its pointed out over and over again in anchoring write-ups.

You really think the vast majority admit to it if it does happen when so many think it might?

With that logic, most here wouldn't do half the suggested repairs or conform to standards as there isn't enough 'evidence" to convince them.

The fisherman's anchor which has very similar positioning characteristics has tons of evidence of fouling. Look up where many common insignia uses the "fouled anchor". So common it's often imitated.

LaSalle Yacht Club site....

Why is the CPO anchor fouled?
The Chief's Fouled Anchor. The Fouled Anchor is the emblem of the Rate of Chief Petty Officer of the United States Navy. ... In terms of the Chief, the fouled anchor symbolizes the trials and tribulations that every Chief Petty Officer must endure on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Been told herring fishermen in San Francisco Bay were moving from Northills to Bruces for securing their nets.

Mark,
I’ll bet they got tired of handling them in bunches like they were in a photo you posted some time ago. Bet they snagged on everything Claws much more compact.

do you have evidence that it ever happens?

Never heard of an event told on TF of that happening. However as ps says over time it’s obviously going to happen. He’s think’in tomorrow. I’m think’in maybe this year.

And, BASED ON MY LOCATION, I'm thinking the day after I die.

And Jim you’re in the state known for occasional ....... untruths?

ok, how about never.

anchor picture??? I have them but can only post videos???

Actually I would have to say that the performance of that tiny 12lb anchor on the big boat is rather good. And who uses a 12lb anchor anyway? That's for dingys and rowboats.

BTW, I've concluded that the video is a fake. It was obviously shot in a giant bowl of miso soup :)

HaHa Mako,
I have a 12lb Supreme. Started out as 18lbs. But my boat is small. Rode out a gale w a 13lb XYZ about 12 years ago. By your def I guesss my boat’s a dinghy. Steve (Panope) tested mostly 35 to 40lb anchors.
The use of the Northill style anchor is widespread in BC Canada.

Looks like Miso to me... lots of seaweed, I think there are chunks of tofu in the corner, probably tastes salty also...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.11.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 10.11.40 PM.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 59
I have a Northill still that came with the boat. It is kept as the spare.

A friend uses his with one of the big on deck fisherman winches. The boat was a small commercial gillnetter that he converted.

Twice while travelling together the chain was wrapped around the exposed fluke. It didn't pull the anchor but it was a bit unsettling for him to find the chain wrapped. He still uses it though and his success rate is high.

Thank you for the report. An actual firsthand knowledge of fluke entanglement. Good to know it didnt pull out though.

ok, for those that care. I dont know if this will format correctly or not, but here are the specs for the Northil anchors made in LA by the Northill Company.
pounds pounds pounds

Model Holding power Weight Boat weight
8 240 6 4000
6R 450 13 7500
12 720 12 12000
12R 900 25 15000
20 1200 20 20000
30 1800 30 30000
50 2000 50 41600
80 3600 80 60000

Hope it formats properly

It didnt, but I think you can figure it out. If you cant I can send you a readable document as an attachment to an email. PM me.

Last edited:
Jim when was Northill bought out by Danforth?

I have no idea must have been after WWII

Those specs came from a 1939 magazine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom