Nordhavn 63 - single anchor and windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like SS anchors also. Had an Ultra on past boat. Held like glue to paper. Considering mounting it in our living room now that it has been retired.

Fletch,
That glitzy Ultra is a very fine pice of high end art.
Never heard a bad thing about performance either.

Peter,
You’re love for your SS is perhaps similar to my fondness for anchors in general. You are extremly hooked on one but I like anchors in general. I’ve wondered WHY? at times. Maybe my draw is mostly that I’m fascinated by why some work better than others. And does form follow function? It all seems to lead to endless thinking.

Or perhaps it has to do w people. Or it could be nationalistic. Are you very patriotic?
You knew or know Rex Francis. Are you very fond of him? In contrast I dislike the man behind the Rocna and wouldn’t buy one because of it.

Very few anchors are attractive as in a nice piece of art. Your SS has even been labeled as agricultural looking. Very few anchors are not IMO.

And then there’s the Ford and Chevy thing that seems entirely baseless. One is as good as the other but people can get very passionate about the qualities of one. Perhaps the anchor that came w the boat starts out just as a hunk of metal (not even painted) and over time it becomes “ours” ... to love and protect. Love by association?

Anchor threads are a draw ... no doubt. And once and awhile I wonder why. It’s just an odd shaped pice of metal.

To Eric. Point of order, was not suggesting Twisted gets a Super Sarca, as the roll-bar tends to get a bit in the way of the later, integrated, bow pulpits with slots for the anchor through them. Hence my suggestion of the Excel, which is designed for those. I never owned an Excel, but know folk who do - and swear by them.

What's the objection to a roll bar?

And the Sarca looks nearly identical (ah, but it isn't, see comment below**) to the std anchor offered on the nordhanvns.
For what it's worth, I personally am planning on a 150kg Rocna.

To Twisted, same answer as for Eric, but with the additional comment, that the weakness, (personally experienced) of the CQR/Plow type is that hinged shank**. Which unless set into the bottom quite quickly, allows the fluke to just bounce across the bottom on its side, especially if it is a firmish or weedy bottom.

As to the Rocna..? Should be ok with that, because its sheer weight should cancel out most of their small weaknesses. Eg, have been known to clog, and not re-set well in really sticky stuff, and again, the roll-bar not ideal, (eg resting position and appearance) for the type of pulpit arrangement on the Nordys, but that can be got around. All the best with whatever you go with. It is a fabulous vessel. I just think a fabulous vessel deserves a fabulous anchor, is all...bias, based on experience and personal communication, admitted. :socool::)

PS. Make a modest prediction. If you get your Nordy 68 fitted with a Sarca Excel, I wouldn't mind betting subsequent Nordys would all be fitted with them. They look fantastic in stainless..! It appears to me they come fitted as standard with a stainless CQR type purely because they do sit so well on their pulpit design, and look so nice and shiny..! As a stainless Excel would also.

Also probably they, Nordhavn, might well not have had anything reported back to them to promote examination of their standard anchor, and to them to make them have a rethink, because the sheer weight of the anchor up in those sizes makes a drag unlikely in the sort of benign anchoring conditions most seek out, and also maybe because so many Nordy owners end up being largely dock queens, whereas you will not be a dock queen, or necessarily always end up with benign anchoring conditions..?

Last edited:
Peter,
I was looking for thoughts about why anchors are a draw.
Twisted can get whatever anchor he wants.
Getting the boat ready to go out for awhile. Finally getting a chance to test those three modded anchors. Claw, Supreme and XYZ. Never thought of modding a SS. HaHa but I’ve got an idea.

...the Sarca looks nearly identical to the std anchor offered on the Nordhavns.

For what it's worth, I personally am planning on a 150kg Rocna.
Without seeing the std anchor offered,the point of difference might be the Sarca convex design (viewed from the top), and the claimed advantages of it not clogging/retaining mud. The Rocna looks to be concave.

Mind you, the cost of getting a 150kg one from Oz to USA would be "interesting".

Without seeing the std anchor offered,the point of difference might be the Sarca convex design (viewed from the top), and the claimed advantages of it not clogging/retaining mud. The Rocna looks to be concave.

Mind you, the cost of getting a 150kg one from Oz to USA would be "interesting".

Bruce don't forget that there is now a North America distributor, Groud Tackle Marine here in Sidney BC. see attached from AnchorRight's website........:thumb: PS..I love my Excel!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 8.37.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 8.37.05 PM.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Bruce don't forget that there is now a North America distributor, Ground Tackle Marine here in Sidney BC. see attached from AnchorRight's website........:thumb: PS..I love my Excel!
Mike,I know about the Vancouver Isl. distributor but figured the 150kg version might not be stocked, though it could come in a bulk order at reasonable cost.

Bruce,
Indeed that would be “bulk”.

Back
Top Bottom