Old 11-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #1
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
New Rocna

Here it is boys and gals. The new Rocna "Vulcan".
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1414863668.723522.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	34065
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Some bow bling from H/C! She looks great! Good to see a repurposing for all those old tractor seats rusting in fields around the world.

Were you Parks' first Rocna sale?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Some bow bling from H/C! She looks great! Good to see a repurposing for all those old tractor seats rusting in fields around the world.

Were you Parks' first Rocna sale?

No, don't think it was for sale. The rep said they should be shipping out in December. If I remember correctly he said they were making them up to 88lbs's.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I think the new Rocna is going to be a good option for people like me who pull their anchor up through a pulpit. It's a beautiful anchor that just looks like it will grab the earth and hold on.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
I think the new Rocna is going to be a good option for people like me who pull their anchor up through a pulpit. It's a beautiful anchor that just looks like it will grab the earth and hold on.
H/C do you know what the metallurgy is of the components - shank, flukes, etc?
Old 11-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
H/C do you know what the metallurgy is of the components - shank, flukes, etc?

Yeah was curious about that too. The shank seemed really thin. I asked him about that and said they tried make it light as possible so all weight is at the tip area. He assured me its super strong stuff.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-01-2014, 07:20 PM   #7
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Yeah was curious about that too. The shank seemed really thin. I asked him about that and said they tried make it light as possible so all weight is at the tip area. He assured me its super strong stuff.
Super Strong Stuff? Well, coming from Rocna, that could mean that it is made out of some material with strength ranging between titanium and pot metal, so a little specificity would be nice.

That said, I do like the looks of this design, and suspect it might perform well. It basically looks like a knock off of the Ultra/Spade so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good hook.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Super Strong Stuff? Well, coming from Rocna, that could mean that it is made out of some material with strength ranging between titanium and pot metal, so a little specificity would be nice.

That said, I do like the looks of this design, and suspect it might perform well. It basically looks like a knock off of the Ultra/Spade so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good hook.

I know, I know. I should have asked him what "strong material" was. After seeing the spade, the Rocna looked much better. Not trying to be bias. Just looked simpler and better. If I might add.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
I know, I know. I should have asked him what "strong material" was. After seeing the spade, the Rocna looked much better. Not trying to be bias. Just looked simpler and better. If I might add.
I'm with you on the Spade. They all look like High School shop projects to me. It's why I like the Ultra, which seems to perform slightly better than the Spade, but looks ok too.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
I'm with you on the Spade. They all look like High School shop projects to me. It's why I like the Ultra, which seems to perform slightly better than the Spade, but looks ok too.

Yeah I also saw the Ultra at the show, very nice anchor. We would have gotten one but the price was just too much. But man are they pretty!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Every part of it looks Spade.

Especially the ballast chamber that Rocna said was unnecessary on the roll bar anchor.
The shank is 98% Spade but not hollow w an extremely low resistance design. I think the Spade is better looking too.
The fluke is Spade-like but is kind of stupid looking w it's toilet seat ass end. Don't see any advantage.

But anchors that don't look super sometimes work well. I think Rocna had better than "well" in mind. I wonder what the'll say about why it works better? Perhaps it won't. And why shouldn't they make out of good materials this time. Don't seem to need good materials. The guy at Fisheries Supply said they sell more Rocnas than any other kind. Where's the motive? That's just one example though. Perhaps the've got a hot salesman there that is sold himself on Rocnas.

Is this an admission that the roll bar was a mistake? I'd rather see them take the ballast out and the roll bar back on and fix the two problems it has. I don't have much against the ballast but I don't like the bulky ballast container. It looks like the fwd end of a sailboat and I think the shank of a good anchor should look more like a knife ... like a Danforth perhaps.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Guru

I don't know what steel they are using on the Vulcan but I'll try to find out for you guys. The prototype we have in the booth is stainless of some sort. It looks to me that the blade is cast and the shank looks like it's forged. It's sort of an I beam. Very stiff for it's weight. The finish is very good. The welds are machine made and beautiful.

They still think the roll bar is a better anchor but there is a big market (like me) that can't carry a roll bar anchor on our bow.
Old 11-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
The fluke is Spade-like but is kind of stupid looking w it's toilet seat ass end. Don't see any advantage.
Wait a minute, Eric. Aren't you the one who likes to apply aerodynamic principles to pieces of metal oozing through mud? If so, then the turned down back of the seat makes perfect sense. Think of it as an elevator on the back of a stabilizer. By forcing the mud flowing off the back of the spade fluke down, it raises the rear of the fluke thus forcing the front of the fluke to dive even deeper.

I don't subscribe to the fluke-as-a-wing theory, but if one does, that's how that reverse scoop back end could work.

Quote:
Is this an admission that the roll bar was a mistake?
No. Apparently even Rocna/Canadian Metals has made this clear by saying that this new anchor is indended for boaters who cannot carry a rollbar-type anchor because of their boats' pulpit configurations. I assume this is why the new anchor is being offered in weights "only" up to 88 pounds, as opposed to the several hundred pounds one can get a rollbar Rocna in. Most of the boats I'm aware of that tend to have a slotted pulpit seem to be in the 30 to 50 foot range. So a max weight of 88 pounds would seem to meet the vast majority of that particular market.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #14
Guru

Marin wrote;
"Wait a minute, Eric. Aren't you the one who likes to apply aerodynamic principles to pieces of metal oozing through mud?"

Indeed I am. Fluid physics are the same everywhere. Bur re your comment there's much more of the TE turned up as turned down so I'm not going to give ya the point Marin. It's hard to see very well in the photo anyway. Re a previous discussion I thought that TE lip was supposed to be a RB in disguise.

Making the shank out of an "I" beam shaped cross section not only will make it stronger but look like it's stronger. The marketing part of the shank design is spot on. It will appear that Rocna has listened to the people and bellied up to the bar. The many that are drawn to Rocna will see the barricades fall away and rush down to get one. Haha it might be made of mild steel and just look stronger while Mr Smith is laughing on his way to the bank. I've never said Rocna's marketing skills were lacking.

What I really don't like about it is that bulbous mass under the fwd end of the fluke. On the Spade I think it impedes penetration and "diving" as most call it and I see no reason to think it will be any different w the Rocna. When you rip off another's design you're supposed to take the good parts of the design and change the bad. May not have been done here. I really don't see this new anchor as better than the Spade and Spade has new anchors out so is one generation ahead of Rocna. But the tractor seat fluke is a bit different and a difference can turn a dog into a star so we will wait and see. Don't see how it would perform any better in the Chesapeake Bay mud test though nor does it promise to be a short scope anchor.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:33 AM   #15
Guru

Here is part of the reply I received from Rocna regarding the metal used in their anchors.

The shank of the galvanized anchors is made from a high tensile steel, and the shanks of the SS anchors are made from a high tensile stainless steel. We consider the specifics confidential.

Here is our “standard” response on requests for steel composition.

The shank is made of a high tensile steel, the blade and roll bar are made of regular steel. Canada Metal (Pacific) Limited doesn’t release technical material specifications regarding the metals used in the anchors – Canada Metal (Pacific) Limited, who have been manufacturing Rocna anchors since Sept 2011, is a world leader in specialized alloys, and considers this information to be proprietary. We are the largest manufacturer of marine anodes in the world, and supply military and marine OEM engine manufacturers – both of whom have very exacting requirements with respect to supply chain management and quality control.

Since acquiring the Rocna brand Canada Metal has overlaid the same extensive QC procedures onto the Rocna production, to the extent that we can now trace any anchor manufactured back to the raw material certificates used in its production. With this attention to detail in manufacturing, and the lifetime warranty against bending or deformation as well as manufacturing defects, you can be confident of the product.

To offer a life time warranty they must be pretty confident in their products.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #16
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Here is part of the reply I received from Rocna regarding the metal used in their anchors.

The shank of the galvanized anchors is made from a high tensile steel, and the shanks of the SS anchors are made from a high tensile stainless steel. We consider the specifics confidential.

Here is our “standard” response on requests for steel composition.

The shank is made of a high tensile steel, the blade and roll bar are made of regular steel. Canada Metal (Pacific) Limited doesn’t release technical material specifications regarding the metals used in the anchors – Canada Metal (Pacific) Limited, who have been manufacturing Rocna anchors since Sept 2011, is a world leader in specialized alloys, and considers this information to be proprietary. We are the largest manufacturer of marine anodes in the world, and supply military and marine OEM engine manufacturers – both of whom have very exacting requirements with respect to supply chain management and quality control.

Since acquiring the Rocna brand Canada Metal has overlaid the same extensive QC procedures onto the Rocna production, to the extent that we can now trace any anchor manufactured back to the raw material certificates used in its production. With this attention to detail in manufacturing, and the lifetime warranty against bending or deformation as well as manufacturing defects, you can be confident of the product.

To offer a life time warranty they must be pretty confident in their products.
Thanks for the try H/C. Apparently for some companies, simple honesty is viewed as a marketing disadvantage.

Buyer beware.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #17
Guru

"High tensile" steel?

Can't believe it. Well if .... we believe them we can assume (loosely speaking) that there is some carbon in their steel.

The only reason I can think of for withholding the specs on the steel is that the shanks are actually mild steel as before and they are relying on the I beam shape of the shank to keep from bending. Maybe I was right about Smith laughing on the way to the bank.

Still could be a good anchor though ... but there's lots of good anchors to choose from that are far less questionable.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #18
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Thanks for the try H/C. Apparently for some companies, simple honesty is viewed as a marketing disadvantage.
Not defending Rocna/Canadian Metals per se, but if you ask us how we manage to create a one-piece composite fuselage section with all the stringers as an integral part of the shell, we're not going to tell you. If you ask us what the composition and properties are of the composites we use, we're not going to tell you. If you ask us how we achieve the indirect lighting in our new interiors, we're not going to tell you.

In fact, there is very little about how we design and manufacture our airplanes that we WILL tell you, as a member of the general public.

It's got nothing to do with honesty or even marketing. It has to do with protecting our design, materials specifications, and manufacturing processes for competitive reasons.

I would have been amazed if Rocna/Canadian Metals had stated what the exact makeup of their anchors is beyond what they said in their press release.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #19
Guru

Marin that's a big jump ......

Jetliners to small boat anchors.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:52 AM   #20
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Not defending Rocna/Canadian Metals per se, but if you ask us how we manage to create a one-piece composite fuselage section with all the stringers as an integral part of the shell, we're not going to tell you. If you ask us what the composition and properties are of the composites we use, we're not going to tell you. If you ask us how we achieve the indirect lighting in our new interiors, we're not going to tell you.

In fact, there is very little about how we design and manufacture our airplanes that we WILL tell you, as a member of the general public.

It's got nothing to do with honesty or even marketing. It has to do with protecting our design, materials specifications, and manufacturing processes for competitive reasons.

I would have been amazed if Rocna/Canadian Metals had stated what the exact makeup of their anchors is beyond what they said in their press release.
Asking what MPa an anchor shank steel has is not quite the same as asking for the ingredients in Coca Cola. It's like asking a mattress manufacturer if their product is stuffed with used hospital bandages and being told that information is "proprietary." It appears Smith found the perfect company to sell to - one that shares his view on the value of being forthright.

Nice try.