Old 03-16-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
New Anchor

http://://www.westmarine.com/buy/wes...708/zoomImagesHaven't seen this and it says "new".://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--scoop-anchors--P015985708/zoomImages
15985708.jpg NEWhttp://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--scoop-anchors--P015985708/zoomImage.

Sorry about the mess. Can't do stuff w my I-pad.

They call it a Scoop anchor but it dosn't look very scoopish to me. I think Marin has some strange ideas about what a scoop anchor is too so maybe I'm the one in the dark. To me a scoop anchor has a concave fluke (always) and the Max, Supreme, Spade, Boss and perhaps Claw anchors are scoop anchors. They look like a scoop. Plow anchors would be represented by the CQR, Delta, Excel and Shark.

Also interesting is the same fluke tip as the Supreme. I've not been able to figure out the reason for the little heart shape on the end. Would seem to pierce the bottom better if it had a straight edge at the tip like a Rocna. Perhaps it's there to give a bit more area well fwd but it would be real small.

It appears WM is now an anchor manufacturer. I'm not in the know as to who makes their Danforths. Perhaps they make the "Scoop" too? It has a rough agricultural look about looks like it got wrinkled during manufacturing.

Anyone know about this ... or has it been on the market for some time?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Scoop Anchors | West Marine

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #3
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Oh Oh here we go again......
Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
I don't subscribe to the term "scoop" but instead believe that any anchor that looks and acts like a shovel blade is a "spade" anchor (other than those that use a roll bar, at which point they become "rollbar" anchors).

But regardless of what I believe is the accurate term, the anchor in the above link doesn't appear to me to be either a scoop or a spade as there seems to be precious little fluke area to act like one.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Don't blame me. I was only helping Eric and his iPad out. I assume no responsibility for where this thread goes.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:21 PM   #6

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I don't subscribe to the term "scoop" but instead believe that any anchor that looks and acts like a shovel blade is a "spade" anchor (other than those that use a roll bar, at which point they become "rollbar" anchors).

But regardless of what I believe is the accurate term, the anchor in the above link doesn't appear to me to be either a scoop or a spade as there seems to be precious little fluke area to act like one.
You can't actually call it a 'Spade' because that is a brand name. Rollbar Anchors still have the 'spade' style with a rollbar. West Marine simply chose a generic name of scoop rather than a trademarked name, like spade.

Scoop would seem more accurate as compared to 'plow'.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:58 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
You can't actually call it a 'Spade' because that is a brand name. Rollbar Anchors still have the 'spade' style with a rollbar. West Marine simply chose a generic name of scoop rather than a trademarked name, like spade.

Scoop would seem more accurate as compared to 'plow'.
I agree on your last point.

I wasn't suggesting that West Marine should call their anchor a Spade as that is a trademarded (I assume) name for a specific product. I simply believe that "spade" more accurately describes this configuration than "scoop."

We say "Dandforth-type" all the time in reference to anchorst that look like a Danforth. We talk about claw anchors in reference to several makes even though there is a specific make called "Claw" (the Lewmar Claw).

I don't see the word "spade" as being any different. It can be the name of a particuar manufacturer's anchor, but I don't think that prevents people from referring to "spade-type" anchors.

I don't think the word "scoop" accurately describes an anchor's shape, as scoops tend to have a lot more belly to them so they can pick up loose stuff like corn flakes.

But then I don't think the word "trawler" accurately describes what is actually a recreational cabin cruiser, either.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I'd like to start a collection for Eric's 7 step recovery program from anchor addiction. Will post a donation link shortly. Still waiting to hear back from the Betty Ford clinic....

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:05 PM   #10
Guru

I was hoping a "Scoop" anchor could also be used for catching shrimp, etc. It looks a little like Eric`s XYZ. It`s not going to scoop up any seafood.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #11
Guru

I have not got my paten yet but I can divulge some none specific descriptions of the Moon River automated anchor system. When the skipper stops the boat and verbally addresses the anchor system stating prepare to anchor the system activates. The first step in activation is a high definition chirp sonar scan of the bottom including forward and 360 scanning to determine depth and bottom characteristics. This information is then sent to a ultra light weight 3D fabrication system in the bow which fabricates an anchor and chain or rode suited to the information fed to the unit. The selected anchor system is then automatically sent overboard and the boat automatically sets and confirms holding. When the Skipper is ready to leave the anchorage the verbal command make way is given and the anchor and rode or chain is slipped and goes to the bottom where its biodegradable construction eventually disintegrates. With this system nobody has to worry about which anchor or rode chain windless system is better or needed.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: SOMERS POINT, NJ
Vessel Name: SOJOURN
Vessel Model: SWIFT TRAWLER 44
I'm going back and look for greenhead postings - Got to be better than starting another anchor war!!!!
SOJOURN4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:52 PM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Thank you Larry very much. I was hoping someone would help me out. As soon as I got home I copied the link but by edit window seemed to be expired. Sure wish it would last longer.

I just popped this up for whatever. If you don't like it go on to where there's more fun. No need to groan about another anchor thread or post dead horses. Walt has an endless supply of horses. Some may want to kick it around (verbally of course) and (of course) I'm fine w that.

But it's hard to have a decent conversation w over half the posts groaning and whining about the subject matter. There always is meaningful posts on anchor threads so dumping them and moving on seems stupid.

Hope you all find the new anchor interesting.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote