Need some info installing a windlass on a 36' MT Europa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billfromport

Vessel Name
Adventure
Vessel Make
1978 Marine Trader Europa
Hello All

Now the water system is almost upgraded now I need a windlass for my 36' Marine Trader Europa

The windlass was removed by the previos owner who own the boat for a short while. It probally was original by the sounds of it. All I have on deck is a black and red cable that looks guagewise undersized

I'm thinking about installing a Lermar Pro-series 1000 or pro fish. Has anyone used them or wired them up in a MT? Are they big enough to handle a 22 pound delta anchor on 250 feet of 5/8th’s line and 30’ of 5/16” chain which is compatible with this windlass. Any preference profish versus proseries?

Do you think the old windlass had a control box? Is so where would it be located ? If not where has other owner mounted it on a marine trader?.

Unlike my previuos smaller boats it appears you can not access the anchor locker from the front cabin on the MT? Is that true? Do most owners keep the rode on deck when getting ready to anchor.

If anyone has mounted one of these windlass any information would help.

Thanks

Bill from port

Bill,

I installed the Lewmar Pro Series 1000 on my Californian 34 LRC. I works beautifully with a 33 Lb Lewmar Claw, 120 ft chain and 200+ ft of Brait. I have a hard wired control at the lower helm plus a wireless remote for use elsewhere on the boat or dock, as needed.

img_556559_0_cc0fe5293921713371f5cbb08a084604.jpg

Whatever windlass you decide to install, make sure the wires are adequate to power the windlass. Measure distance to and from the windlass and then you can figure out what size you need. If in doubt, go to the next size larger wire.

Remember the windlass is only for lifting aboard the ground tackle , after it is broken free from the bottom.

Thanks for all your great feedback. I'll probably go with the Lewmar pro 1000. I would just like to get some information about accessing the anchor locker on Marine trader or if someone has replace a windlass in a late 70 (78 to be precise) Marine trader.

Thanks again for your help

Bill from port

IF you are lazy,, measuring the bolt hole pattern , and duplicating the first unit could be an easy choice.

Until you get into the pri$y units one 1000W unit is similar to the next .

Greetings,
Mr. bill. I don't see HOW or why there is no access to the rode locker. Could it be that the forward bulkhead adjacent to the locker has been covered over some how?

RT has a very good point.
No access to the anchor locker from the V berth is unusual, very unusual.
I agree, maybe the access has been covered over.

If you know someone with one of those remote cameras with a flexible wand use it to take a peek through the hawse hole to see inside the locker. If the access has been covered then maybe the door can be seen.

I would definitely want to have access to the rope locker in case the chain gets tangled.

RT has a very good point.
No access to the anchor locker from the V berth is unusual, very unusual.
I agree, maybe the access has been covered over.

Either that, or there better be a very generously large deck hatch cover over the locker, or it is going to be very tricky doing what you have to do.
FWIW, the control box, with solenoids etc, to activate my windlass, is mounted on the for'd cabin front bulkhead just up out of usual line of sight. The heavy gauge wires then leave through holes behind it into the chain locker, go across the top of that, and then up to the pulpit windlass mount.

I hope to look at it this weekend on more detail. Maybe take some photos. I've looked at other Marine trader 36' in the last year before buying this one but I cannot recall the setup. The hawse hole is there but as far as I can see no access

Aren't there a cute pair of small intricately carved teak doors on the bulkhead at the foot of the forward berths?
img_557494_0_2aee5e69a0693d18e2c21e83b01f6d39.jpg

This is what I have. No access. I guess I may have to a door in. Really strange.

IMG_20170525_190734.jpg

Back
Top Bottom