Old 01-14-2011, 04:25 PM   #41
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
RE: Need Help with Windlass Application

Marin,Yes and it would be nice if the real estate covered it's own expenses too.
My Firefox crashed and I'm 100% on Safari now. I think Hughs Net is "throttling" me.
Can't do much boat shopping as all the shopping stuff is bookmarked on Firefox.
Could be a blessing anyway as I think the boat shopping is about over.
One of the boats I was looking at had one of those Bull Frogs and after thinking they looked rather stupid I'm drawn to them now. Maybe I'll go davits and get one. Would be nice if they were 10' * * ....I'll look them up on the web.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:29 PM   #42
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Need Help with Windlass Application

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Marin,
Yes and it would be nice if the real estate covered it's own expenses too.
My Firefox crashed and I'm 100% on Safari now. I think Hughs Net is "throttling" me.
Can't do much boat shopping as all the shopping stuff is bookmarked on Firefox.
Could be a blessing anyway as I think the boat shopping is about over.
One of the boats I was looking at had one of those Bull Frogs and after thinking they looked rather stupid I'm drawn to them now. Maybe I'll go davits and get one. Would be nice if they were 10' * * ....I'll look them up on the web.
Eric

The Bullfrogs start at 10 ft. *http://www.bullfrogboats.com/

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 14th of January 2011 05:30:22 PM

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #43
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Mr. Marin...Name suggestion if you buy a bullfrog...Jeremiah
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:53 PM   #44
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
** Mr. Marin...Name suggestion if you buy a bullfrog...Jeremiah
I'm not imaginative like you.* If we get one, if we give it any name at all, it will probably be "La Perouse 3."* Our Livingston is "La Perouse 1," the sailing dinghy is "La Perouse 2."* Actually the sailing dinghy has a previous name, "Wee Hand."* We've left it in place on the transom as whoever named it put the name on in nice bronze letters.

Of course if we were really imaginative we would call our Livingston "Boussole" and the sailing dinghy "Astrolabe."* These were the names of La Perouse's two ships on his voyage of discovery.* "Boussole" means "compass" in French and "Astrolabe" means just that, the astrological navigation tool of the same name.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #45
Guru

Marin,
Why would you want to name your boats in a foreign language. Almost nobody has any idea what it means.*

Carey,
I looked at the Frog website. Thanks for posting it however now I know I won't be getting one. You can only go dead slow or on a full plane. A disp speed in a dinghy is only 2.5 knots and a full plane in a 10' boat is sorta nuts. The Frog weighs 3 or 4 times as much as my converted sailboat and cost's a bundle. It is cute though. The davits may be a go though.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 14th of January 2011 09:39:41 PM
Old 01-14-2011, 08:39 PM   #46
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Why would you want to name your boats in a foreign language. Almost nobody has any idea what it means.*

I know what they mean, and they mean something to me and my heritage.* As does the name of our GB and even the name of our dog (Albi).* I could care less if anyone else knows what they mean.***

How about those two billion sailboats around the world*that are named "Namaste?"* Know what that means?* (I'm not going to tell you, you can look it up.)

Our Arima fishing boat is named "Malolo."* (You can look that one up, too.)**Again, we named it for something that means something to us.* If nobody else knows what it means, so what?
Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #47
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Perhaps on his next boat, Eric will put the name of his boat on the boat so everyone can see.* His present*Willard trawler*shows no name.
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:49 PM   #48
Enigma

Hiya,
** Mr. Marin.* Nothing to do with my imagination at all.* Three Dog Night's idea...Says it all in the first 25 seconds or so.

** Just a suggestion...

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Friday 14th of January 2011 09:52:48 PM
Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 PM   #49
Scraping Paint

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
** Mr. Marin.* Nothing to do with my imagination at all.* Three Dog Night's idea...Says it all in the first 25 seconds or so.

** Just a suggestion...

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Friday 14th of January 2011 09:52:48 PM
I'm very familiar wth the song (I didn't care for it when it came out and still don't).* I always*liked the name of the group though.* Pop quiz for Eric--- What does "Three Dog Night" actually mean?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #50
Enigma

Hiya,
** I know....I know.....hahahaha* I'm not much a fan of theirs either.

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Friday 14th of January 2011 09:57:46 PM
Old 01-14-2011, 09:03 PM   #51
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:

Carey,
I looked at the Frog website. Thanks for posting it however now I know I won't be getting one. You can only go dead slow or on a full plane. A disp speed in a dinghy is only 2.5 knots and a full plane in a 10' boat is sorta nuts. The Frog weighs 3 or 4 times as much as my converted sailboat and cost's a bundle. It is cute though. The davits may be a go though.
I've ridden in Carey's Bullfrog more time than I can remember.* For my money, it's the only dinghy on the planet that makes any sense outside of a "real" boat like a*Boston Whaler or similar.* The Bullfrog can go any speed you want it to.* It is no different in that respect than an RIB.* But it can't puncture or tear, has no fabric to break down in the weather and UV, and has more usable*room inside since the "tubes" don't" have to be round (and aren't).* Carey had them fabricate a clever fuel tank that is part of the middle seat, so there isn't even a fuel tank underfoot in his.

There are only two drawbacks to a Bullfrog.* They're not cheap, and they're fairly heavy.* Not the sort of thing you put on Weaver Snap davits.* And since we don't believe in stowing a dinghy on a cabin top or boat deck (in coastal waters) our only choice if we ever get one will be to tow it.

But they're terrific dinghies.* They go slow if you want to troll and go fast if you want to make a multi-mile*run to town from the anchorage.* The ride is good and fairly dry for this kind of craft, even in rough-ish water.* Combine this with their infinite life (as opposed to inflatables/RIBs--- if I had a dollar for every half-inflated inflatable or RIB I see in our marina I wouldn't have to sue Hustler to get our Fleming).* It's an unbeatable little boat as far as I'm concerned.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:26 AM   #52
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Marin,

Carey,

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Friday 14th of January 2011 09:39:41 PM
EricI really couldn't care less if you or anyone but myself chooses a Bullfrog, but I will clarify a couple things. Your statement as to speed is incorrect. Yes, dead slow to about five knots would be the slow speed, and then, with the aid of my 15 horse with Dolphins, it gets on plane at about 12-15 knots (not scary or nuts if you want to cover a little distance). Then, if you are in a hurry, it will do about 25 knots with one person on flat water. Still not scary. As to cost, they are no more expensive than a comparable inflatable. They are heavy. Mine is about 400 lbs loaded with eleven gallons of fuel.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #53
Guru

Hi Carey,I really liked the Frog until I saw it in the video at a 25 degree angle of attack and saw the weight numbers. Also I really like my converted sail boat. Chris sits fwd to port and almost never gets wet w the FG lapstrake sides. We use a 6hp OB at about half throttle. Runs at about 7 knots, at about 10 degrees AOA and very quietly. Could even run it w the electric Torqeedo OB. However I do like the Frog a lot better than the rubber duckies. Thanks for posting the Frog link.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

The problem--- we have found--- with low, powered, low-freeboard dinghies is that while they are usually great as shoreboats and certainly easy to carry or stow, they are near worthless for longer distance runs, and even more so in choppy water. This is why the Bullfrog appeals to us so much. With a 15 hp motor it is fast, and so can be used to run miles to a store or town from an anchorage, or can be used to explore a fairly large area on a nice day, or--- most important--- be something that can get you somewhere quick in an emergency.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #55
Guru

OK Marin

Bye Bye
Old 01-15-2011, 05:31 PM   #56
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

Three dog night. = A night so cold you will need three dogs in bed to keep you warm.
(Those are dogs of the four legged variety) I believe that is an Australian saying.
Steve W.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 06:24 PM   #57
Scraping Paint

I heard it was an Eskimo saying but regardless, the meaning is correct.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:57 PM   #58
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

The original members of teh band were from Winnipeg Manitoba, where 3 dog nights were common

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote