Old 01-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #1

City: East providence
Need help fixing pulpit

Hello everyone. We had some issues in the fall and hit a nasty current under a bridge and hit the pulpit on out 79 ocean yachts trawler. It's bent slightly about 1/2 inch and the bottom panel detached. I am located in Rhode island. Just looking for any advice for fixing it myself. Thank you for any information
Ocean1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #2

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Excellent Adventure
Vessel Model: 1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
I would start with some pictures.
wwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Let's see what you're dealing with.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Most boat yards have a welder on staff or use a subcontractor with the capability to repair your pulpit. It sounds like it is both bent and the stanchion base either pulled out of the fiberglass deck or the weld failed and it broke loose. The latter is definitely a welding job.

Boat yard guys know how to finish the weld so it looks like new. A regular welder won't likely do that, although it might be just as strong.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Hit the bridge again but from the other direction? Sorry, I couldn’t help my self.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
There are usually fabricators of railings, stanchions, masts, dinghy hangers and so on that either work out of boatyards or nearby that specialize in SS fabrication and repair.
Yellow pages and as mentioned asking at the local boatyard should get a few names.

I also agree that a couple photos might help narrow the advice down.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:50 AM   #7
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Stainless is the easiest metal to weld and with an electric polisher the results are easy to attain. You might be able to just remove it and bend it back, then reinstall it with bevelling the holes and rebedding with butyl tape. Don’t leave it, water will rot the deck core very quickly, especially fresh water.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco Bay and Delta
Vessel Name: Happy Clown
Vessel Model: Heritage 45 Europa
Interestingly, I just fixed a similar problem this past weekend. My pulpit rail was bent in about 4"in a curve along a 4' length of 7/8" ss rail (don't ask.) I talked to my metal guy who advised against my idea of using heat and C-clamps pulling against a straight edge board. He said that instead we needed to "push" the rail out using pressure. He fabricated a simple tool (sorry no pics.) Imagine a 5' long piece of 2' box steel, with "strap hooks" at each end to hang the device of the rail. On the box steel, he mounted a small hydraulic jack that would slide along the box. We then hung the device and started pumping the jack head out at various places along the bent area, obviously starting at the apex of the bend then working out toward the ends of the bend. Within 20 minutes, we managed to "push the bend out," moving the jack along about 10 times. I had unscrewed the base of the nearest stantion, working it by hand back into alignment. Now the rail is very, very close to perfect. Total cost: $150
Hawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:32 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Hawkeye`s method sounds like a homemade version of a hydraulic Porto Power,used by auto body repairers to straighten frames etc.
Hope the OP gets good advice once the pics show what needs doing.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 PM   #10

Thank you all for your input I think I have attached a few pictures. I was thinking of trying to make something out of a car jack to lift it back up to where it needs to go and somehow angle it to bring it back the inch or so to the port side. Sadly where I am docked has no amenaties offered. Asked around for different advice and feel some people are just trying to rip us off.

To the person who said hit the bridge in the other direction thank you for the good laugh. It's unavoidable as you can see we are docked right next to it.
Old 01-16-2019, 11:55 PM   #11

My phone isn't allowing me to upload any photos. I've tried several times. My email is shalynquigley@gmail.com if you would like to email me I would gladly send pictures
Old 01-24-2019, 07:33 PM   #12
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Hydraulic jacks......I guess some are better than others. I tried once to use a jack with it mounted horizontally instead of vertical. It would not pump the piston. When they work, they can be awesome
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:40 PM   #13

Thank you for your input. Hoping to be able to use a winch type system to pull it back and the jack to push it up straight. Hoping to be able to fabricate something ourselves so it won't cost a fortune.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Interestingly, I just fixed a similar problem this past weekend. My pulpit rail was bent in about 4"in a curve along a 4' length of 7/8" ss rail (don't ask.) I talked to my metal guy who advised against my idea of using heat and C-clamps pulling against a straight edge board. He said that instead we needed to "push" the rail out using pressure. He fabricated a simple tool (sorry no pics.) Imagine a 5' long piece of 2' box steel, with "strap hooks" at each end to hang the device of the rail. On the box steel, he mounted a small hydraulic jack that would slide along the box. We then hung the device and started pumping the jack head out at various places along the bent area, obviously starting at the apex of the bend then working out toward the ends of the bend. Within 20 minutes, we managed to "push the bend out," moving the jack along about 10 times. I had unscrewed the base of the nearest stantion, working it by hand back into alignment. Now the rail is very, very close to perfect. Total cost: $150
How about a sketch or a link, Ted. I'm having a hard time picturing this but love the idea.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote