Old 07-07-2017, 11:00 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Sea Bear
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
My Weight...

Looking at anchors and weight is obviously important (although windage feels more important but harder to measure). My quick question is if the weight a manufacturer claims includes stuff like fuel, water, persons, dingy, groundtackle, etc?
My KK54 says it's 68,000lbs but I don't see how that could include the fuel, etc?
In other words if I add that in I really need an anchor for an 80,000lb boat. Or is it already included?

Thoughts?
Old 07-07-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurc View Post
Looking at anchors and weight is obviously important (although windage feels more important but harder to measure). My quick question is if the weight a manufacturer claims includes stuff like fuel, water, persons, dingy, groundtackle, etc?
My KK54 says it's 68,000lbs but I don't see how that could include the fuel, etc?
In other words if I add that in I really need an anchor for an 80,000lb boat. Or is it already included?

Thoughts?
Anchor manufacturers are talking total dimensions and weight. Always err on the larger side. In fact, I recommend always selecting one size larger than their chart says.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:15 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Aurthur, was your boat hauled and surveyed when you bought it? If so, was there a Travelift weight provided?

All I know is my own 34 LRC is listed at 18K. The Travelift scales read 10K fwd sling, 14K aft sling for a 24K total as typically loaded. I was quite surprised.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
Guru

Good question, I'll look but I don't think the lift system they used captured weight.
1200g of fuel and 600 of water is like 15000lbs so if it's included or not isn't a small thing...
Old 07-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
KK should come very close.

Arthurc,
I thought you had a KK42.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:32 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
KK should come very close.

Arthurc,
I thought you had a KK42.
Last year you might have seen a bunch of posts about a k42, it fell through at the very last minute, although now I'm super happy it did! Really excited about my k54, picking her up from Philbrooks next week
Old 07-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I always assumed that a builders weight number was dry weight. I could be wrong.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Builders weights are almost always dry and very optimistic on the low side. They usually weigh one of the first boats and then make changes as they go and the add ons usually don't get added onto the weight listing.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:46 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I always assumed that a builders weight number was dry weight. I could be wrong.
If they don't say, they are generally dry. However, most builders say what the weight is. Some say laden and unladen. Some say nothing. Some say at half load. Regardless, most are not very reliable, especially for any older boat.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #10
Guru

So to be safe 68k plus 15k fuel/water plus 5k misc? Figure 88k for anchor sizing?
Old 07-08-2017, 05:31 AM   #11
FF
Guru

I prefer to select the anchor by using the largest that the windlass will lift , and still fit in the bow .

Using a 190 lb instead of a 125 lb anchor wont slow the boat , or the anchor haul.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:07 AM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Arthurc you're in a very fortunate position in that you can easily contact the manufacturer to get some updated numbers and there is a KK forum on the Internet that will likely have the information or members with the same boat as yours. I would certainly reach out to other owners and see what they are using. That would at least be a good starting point.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:27 AM   #13
Guru

City: gulf coast
Builders always seem to be low. At best they only include partial tankage. add all your stuff, increased tankage, some water absorbtion and you will be a much bigger number. Have it weighed in the slings next time.

I know one boat that the maker showed 26k# but in the slings it was 12k# more. Bigger engines and transmissions, top canvas, dingy lift, anchor and chain, all the cruising stuff made the difference.

I dont trust any makers numbers, get it weighed. twice, on different lifts.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:04 AM   #14
Guru

Thanks everyone, I know I could have just talked to my KK broker but was also interested about how the industry does it, like many things it sounds like there is no standardization. As far as my anchor goes I do plan on putting the largest one that will fit on.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:12 AM   #15
Guru

City: Miami
Arthur your boat's weight is always going to equal the water it displaces. If you look at your documentation certificate you'll see gross and net figures based on the manufacturers hull measurements. If you overload the boat you'll notice it by the way she sits and moves through the water. As far as adding the biggest anchor goes your weakest link is going to be your windlass. Manufacturers recommend total ground tackle weight be no more than 1/3 of max pull since continuos pull for D.C. Powered units is considerably less.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #16
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I wouldn't use the documentation weight. Mine says 36 tons gross. In the slings it's actually 23 tons. Marine gross tonnage is a calculation based on volume not weight.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:37 AM   #17
Guru

This shouldn't be too difficult on a modern design. Find out the displacement at DWL. The designer will also be able to tell you the disp at each inch above or below DWL. You'll need to confirm if your waterline is drawn (painted) correctly.

Regarding the boat equaling the water it displaces... that may work if the king wants to know if his crown is pure gold, but it's a bit tough to do with a full size boat, unless you have a really big bathtub .
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:38 AM   #18
FF
Guru

"Builders always seem to be low. At best they only include partial tankage."

Sometimes builders will use the weight loaded for a world cruise to make the vessel seem more substantial.

The Westsail 32 almost never could be loaded to its advertised displacement.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:32 AM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Have it weighed in the slings next time.
Over the years I've had all my boats weighed in the sling at various yards. None of them matched the weight that the manufacturer showed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0862.jpg  
Old 07-10-2017, 06:15 AM   #20
FF
Guru

"Over the years I've had all my boats weighed in the sling at various yards. None of them matched the weight that the manufacturer showed."

Over the years I've had all my boats weighed in the sling at various yards. None of them matched the weight that the other yards showed .