Mooring?? Bouy??? How???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighterpilot

Thinking about a mooring station out from the end of the dock here in the bay, so boat could swing during a hurricane. How does one go about building one of those? Lots of concrete or do you drive pilings down to the bottom of the bay? Would need it deep so could just put a buoy on it like they do with the crab traps. Our bay depth is about 8 to 10 feet. Presently just see boats anchored from the bow, but would like something more substantial than a couple of anchors.

Last edited:
There is a Helix screw that will screw into the bottom of the sea that has tremendus holding power.

Helix Mooring Systems

Perhaps something like this.

SD

Depending on where you are located you may have to get a permit from your local town. Often they require a contractor to isntall it and make annual inspections.

But assuming you aren't bothered by that bureaucracy there are several types:

1 Concrete or granite blocks
2. Mushrooms
3. Helix anchors- often installed by contractors
4. Three anchors chained together- typically Danforths
5. RR wheels

If you live where granite is available it can't be beat. A U boltor eye is grouted to the granite where a heavy chain is attached. Chapman's will give you a diagram. The granite itself will never deteriorate but the chain needs to be checked and renewed periodically.

I have seen three Danforths used and they didn't hold as well as a simple mushroom. Blocks or helix anchors would be my preference.

David

Thanks, did some research on the helix system and that seems to be the way to go, if anyone does that around here. It gets great reviews from BoatUS and a couple of insurance companies.

djmarchand is on the right track.After a block sized to suit the boat and conditions anticipated comes heavy ground chain, attached to a U-bolt or eye moulded into the block.The ground chain is only lifted by boat movement in stronger conditions, it in turn is shackled to lighter chain, which in turn attaches to the floating poly rope you eventually see at the surface,with a float buoy attached, plus line to attach to the mooring cleat. In our case that line branches into 2 forming a bridle to exert pull either side of the bow holding the boat better head to the wind, reducing side windage and loadings.Where lines coming onboard through hawse holes they are protected by plastic hose. Some people add a vertical rod on a float which can be easily grabbed by hand from the deck without a boathook.
Because constant boat movement causes considerable underwater movement, causing wear at the block eye,and shackles and generally,the whole system needs lifting,checking and servicing annually by a mooring contractor; that`s if you don`t want your pride and joy breaking free, colliding with other boats, until it goes ashore,with your insurance voided. BruceK

I checked into this once and the Army Corps of Engineers sent me a 27 page form to fill out to apply for a permit. I changed my mind.

"Three anchors chained together- typically Danforths"

Works well, and can be removed for inspection or relocated if required ,

3 Danforth 60HT or 90HT are not cheap, but at least you keep them.

FF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom