The Modified XYZ Anchor.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peter, Marin and all,
We're in Ketchikan after bucking the tide all day long.

Ketchikan, looking away from the town:

232323232%7Ffp63552%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D38329939%3A2336nu0mrj

Eric-- Glad to hear you're underway. You could always set you're six anchors all the way around your boat in 60 degree increments. That way you'd stay put for sure.

The only annoying thing I've found so far with the Navimatics app is that it doesn't seem to display the names of some bodies of water, like Grenville Channel and Princess Royal Channel that you will soon be traveling down.

Let us know how you're doing when you get wifi or 3G access (if your iPad has 3G). You can start a new thread in the West Coast Cruising section if you like.

PS- Just played around with the Navimatics app and discovered that the names of bodies of water-- XYZ Bay, ABC Channel -- don't appear until you've zoomed in pretty tight. But they are there. I think it would have been better to have the names of at least the larger bays, channels, passes, and straits appear at a wider field of view. But at least they are there, not missing altogether as I had first thought.

Last edited:
Peter, Marin and all,
We're in Ketchikan after bucking the tide all day long.

Eric
I was hoping to make it to Thorne Bay before you left !!
We are in Prince Rupert today , hoping to have a little repair done here tomorrow and leave for Ketchikan on Tuesday, weather permitting. Always assuming we can find the correct parts in town of course.
We may pass each other in Dixon Entrance.

Fair winds
Bob

Damn - I forgot the Dreadnaught....that should keep him in one place quite well.

Thought of a new thread but what I have seems like a continuation of this.
First anchoring experience on our trip was at Very Inlet over mud. Looked like mellow conditions and I didn't want to use an untried anchor next to a nice big white yacht so I used my new 22lb Claw. Set it w a medium pull. In the middle of the night the tide came in and covered the saddle in the little entrance to the west and waves came in and made me wish we had stabilizers. No wind but lots of rolling. In the morning the other boat left and we pulled anchor. Had a mass of weed around the line so we backed to put a strain on the line to pull it down under the weed ..... Worked fine but we had considerable strain on the rode and I could feel the anchor dragging along the bottom. We were eager to get under way so just pulled it up and went. Again I'm not really sure it dragged but it felt like it. It dragged hard (if it dragged at all) and probably would have held the boat in most conditions. I think any other anchor could have done as well and this comment could perhaps be applied to most anchoring w most anchors. Hmmmmmmmm

HA HA,

Marin I thought you'd jump on that one.

By your suggestion I'm moving this to West Coast Cruising.

Eric

Getting back to the OP here's a little rundown on my anchoring on the run south .... Mostly w the XYZ.

Very Inlet:
Claw. Anchored at 3-1 scope w no wind but at high tide the entrance was covered and some seas from the west (Dixon Entrance)
Billy Bay:
XYZ. Pulled hard (1800rpm) for two minutes in reverse while watching the shore trees and could see no movement. Mud bottom and no wind.
Ire Inlet:
XYZ. Was at short scope in a small spot so I used my 1/2" chain insert plus a 12lb Kellet. Anchor didn't drag but I misjudged the swinging room or position of rocks because at 0200 we hit a rock. Was actually a bit of a jolt and I don't see how it could be. Woke us up and I was afraid we'd gone on a rock and were falling of it high and dry. We were still floating so I went out in my shorts and pulled up some rode to keep us off the rock until I got dressed. Re anchored probably at 2.5-1 scope. Spent the rest of the night on watch and left at first light.
Patterson Inlet:
XYZ. Was two other boats there ... A Krogen and a sailboat. We took the space left and the rocks wer'nt far astern. Wind increased all day to about 40 w higher gusts. The Krogens dragged. He said (later) his Bruce was fouled. We gave him several hours to move back up but he didn't .... So we did. We wound up w our anchor almost on the beach and the sailboat very close astern. About 0300 there we're some scream'in gusts but we stayed put. We anchored a total of three times in this Inlet w the XYZ and it performed flawlessly.
Mockton Inlet:
Claw. A perfect anchorage for one boat and we anchored at 5-1 scope. Pulled on the Claw at 1500 or so and we didn't move. Beautiful uneventful anchoring event and we sorta needed that.
Kynoch Inlet:
XYZ and Danforth. This was the head of a very deep fjord w a steep bottom falloff. Tried to anchor w the Danforth astern and in shallow water but it was useless. Just dragged across the bottom like it was a pice of plastic. Was weed slime. So we anchored wthe XYZ in about 80 feet set pulling toward shore. Wind onshore only 10-15 knots. Offshore breeze put us WAY offshore in the morning.
Wigwam Bay near Shearwater:
XYZ. 4-1 scope and set hard. Uneventful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom