Old 03-03-2018, 10:09 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
This is the last of the three modded anchors.

I've always thought the Claw had much more potential than had ever been realized. Many said that it didn't hold well because of insufficient blade area. I had agreed but felt geometry was more to blame. I kept thinking the twist in the outboard flukes was doing something that only the designer knew about or understood.

Re the geometry the biggest difference tween the decedents of the original Claw (Bruce) and most of the Claws to follow was the throat angle. The angle between the fluke bottom and the shank. The Bruce had considerably less.

When I was in Alaska I bought a 22lb no name Claw for $80. Thought I needed it for rocky bottoms. This no name Claw had the low throat angle (TA) of the Bruce and lately I've come to believe that the low TA was best previously thinking the opposite. I also have a 33lb Lewmar Claw w the wide TA. I wanted to increase the blade area on a Claw and see if I could make a larger area Claw that would set dependably and hold better. I wanted a 33lb anchor but my 33 was a wide TA anchor. So I did the mod deed on the no name 22lb.

I took my 22lb no name Claw to the fab shop w the self designed and cut appendages to illict the desired changes. You can see in the pics what I have done by looking at the welds. Re the add on to the center fluke I made it thin to minimize the tendency to impede the rotation from mostly up-side-down to right side up. This is an area of concern as Claws sometimes rotate part way to laying on their sides and set like that w one outboard fluke sticking up never entering the seabed. I of course hope that dosn't happen.

But if the modclaw sets properly right-side-up the added surface of the fluke should go a long way to solving the Claw's dragging problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2556.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	73607   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2557.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	73608   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2558.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	73609   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2559.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	73610   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2560.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	73611  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:40 PM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Obviously, anchors are a hobby of Willy. I'm still curious, but then my Chinese Bruce-copy has always been reliable in my waters.

Old 03-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #23
Guru

Mark,
Look at the bottom pic and imagine it was an anchor being set by a boater. First the small side fluke goes down in the seafloor. Lots of weight on the pointy end shouldn’t be a problem. But then as the setting continues the side of the center fluke must penetrate sideways as the anchor rotates. This is what I’m worried about. How can I tell if the anchor rotates right-side-up w/o a camera? One thought I’ve had is to set it best I can and then if it draggs w my little engine it must still have one fluke sticking up not in the seafloor. Not saying it is but it may be the reason Claws have the reputation for dragging. I may try and find a place to drag the anchor w my oid 4wd Suburban. Then I can see what’s going on. Good enough for Rex should be good enough for me.

Old 07-07-2018, 08:19 PM   #24

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Waltz Across Texas
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Modded claw is very interesting. Cant wait for the test results. I have a 44 pounder of unknown origin and cant wait to improve it.

I also have a mega CQR, over 50 pounds. I am thinking adding a roll bar to compensate for, next, locking the hinge. Might make it a better anchor.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:03 PM   #25
Guru

You’re gett’in in the spirit of the dark side of anchoring.

Lock the hinge on the CQR? That may cause the hinge/shank to hit the bottom lifting the fluke tip up above the bottom. Make a temp lock and lay it on your garage floor.

Don’t get too excited about the Claw. As I’ve said several times I think it will be too good at bring’in up mud. I intended to put holes in the Claw just like the Supreme but decided to get the Claw to work first.

Old 07-08-2018, 01:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
You’re gett’in in the spirit of the dark side of anchoring.

Lock the hinge on the CQR? That may cause the hinge/shank to hit the bottom lifting the fluke tip up above the bottom. Make a temp lock and lay it on your garage floor.

Freezing the hnge without a "rollbar" might cause a problem righting itself, but the addition of the rollbar is meant to replace the hinge as a righting mechanism......maybe?
Old 08-06-2018, 06:42 PM   #27
Guru

Lot’s of different anchors. Many that haven’t even been born yet. Like my modified Claw.

It’s in the womb so to speak. I had high hopes for it at first but then got to thinking baut mud and decided the ModBruce would most likely be the mother of all mud buckets. I finally got around to trying it and sure enough it brought up lots of mud. But it set quickly and business like. Probably dragged 3-5’ to set solid. Wow it actually works I was thinking. Had si many bad thoughts about it I was almost shcked when it set promptly. Then we backed down on it (1200rpm or so) and the anchor line was very hard to pull up even an inch tween the bow roller and the anchor rode cleat. Next morning it took some work to get it up. Worked the capstan as hard as ever and used a vertical rode and some movement to break out.
The fun had just started though as it took 10 min or so working w the end of our boat hook to work most of the dark grey mud off.
My big worry (in addition to the mud) was the tendency of Claws to lay on their side and not fully set. I made the center fluke longer and feared it would prevent the rotation required to get fully set. However it seemed to hold well enough to be optimistic about it.
Just a first drop out of the gate but it shows potential to be sure. I plan on drilling holes in the fluke to nix the mud problem.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:37 PM   #28

Sounds promising. I have an unmodified 40+ pound CQR and a 40+ pound Claw. I love the claw (always works) I hope your mods make it better. I am currently using a big Fortress.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #29
Guru

Jim,
Failed the second time out.
False Bay is not my favorite place. Two visits. Both wern’t good.
This time I think I tried to set on a bit of a submarine cliff. Like a good sledding hill. Tried the Mud Claw first and it just dragged along. Then the modded Supreme. Sane thing at the same spot.
Had enough time so we went over to Hornby Is. and anchored in Tribune Bay. Used my Danforth as I didn’t want to do experiments in the dark. As usual the D worked perfectly.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:50 PM   #30

My Fortress (aluminum Danforth) always works here in the Gulf where the bottom is almost always silt from the Mississippi. The only problem I have with the Danforth in mud is that sometimes it is very hard to retrieve it and it just continues to dive into the mud in a current. I have spent an hour trying to free a Danforth with full vertical retrieval and one of my big iron Danforths has a bend in the shank from having to "run over" it to get it out.
Old 08-09-2018, 02:24 PM   #31
Guru

Jim,
Trip lines are not too troublesome in shallow water. Ever used one?
I have a mod in mind to reduce the diving tendency. A feature Navy anchors have. Just a bigger dia. stock rod would help IMO. Just a thought.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:08 PM   #32
Guru

Update;
Put the experimental anchors on the stern several days ago and tied them down.

Been using the old 13lb Dan as the working anchor. It actually failed though. In Pender Harbour. Not much space. Many boats. Most all around us were on chain. That’s when I wish I had chain. Planned on a hard set and a shy 3-1 scope. But the hard set didn’t hook up. Pulled Danny up and there was a big clam/Hockle or whatever w some “salad” between the flukes. Read about it happening on TF but it never happened to me .. until now. Removed the clam/ect and and swung somewhat close to a big Nordhavn .. haha I wasn’t worried bur can’t speak for him. Entertained the boats around me for quite a time.

Thinking of swithching the XYZ to the working anchor position. Working experiment?

Old 08-17-2018, 06:09 AM   #33
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Just sounds like another example of anchors sometimes not setting due to circumstances... no matter how well they've worked over time.

I'd blame the clam, not the anchor.

-Chris
Old 08-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #34
Guru

Chris,
Worked fine in Pender Harbour after I removed the clam/ect.
Last night in Browns Bay I decided to use my XYZ. Haven’t for a long time. First set was a no-set. First for this anchor. May have turned turtle. HaHa .. Perhaps I should put a roll bar on it. Do plan on installing many holes in the fluke soon. Second set was really solid though .. as usual for this anchor. 38’ deep and 150’ of rode.
Tonight we’re at Friday Hbr relaxing. Went up to the office to check in and get a slip. Couldn’t do it. They said I needed to go back to the boat and call in. On the radio. Chris wanted to stay so we did.