Old 12-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #81
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Err, that's what the Cruz Pro chain counter does.....
Thanks, I did not know that.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:32 PM   #82
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
OC Diver has it wireless / Bluetooth 21st century version chain counter!
When it happens, the battery will be dead...

stubones99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #83
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
'Scuse me...you mean you can't tell..? I must admit I paint the chain white for the last few feet from the anchor to the windlass, so the minute that appears I know it's off the bottom and only a few feet to go. That part is a cinch to repaint each time I'm doing something else.
I am sorry I didn't make myself clear. Bay Pelican's chain is well marked. I was describing a situation of weighing anchor in the dark when I couldn't see the markings. I have done this at times when I could use a light. The time I was describing was when I had to get out of a crowded anchorage and needed my night vision to weave through the anchorage and therefore couldn't use a light.

We all differ in our anchoring approaches as well as live with different anchorages. We frequently anchor in crowded situations were another boat is floating over our rode with our anchor beneath her. I don't like doing this at night but I have used a combination of depth of water and remaining chain out to release and drag the anchor out from under the other boat. Sometimes this is done by creeping up right behind the boat other times to the side. Doing it on the side is tricky as you can get dragged into the other boat.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:02 PM   #84
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yes I've had to do that once of twice - not nice, especially at night, and that's where the simple chain counter is just so good, because it's virtually bullet proof, with adjustable low-level red illuminated read-out, and when like you, my magnet failed because it was too puny and rusted away to the point it was not strong enough, I replaced it with a cheap, larger, ferrite, non-corroding type, and araldited it in, and it works a treat.

I have lots of spares it you ever need one Brian, as the minimum online order was 10 from memory. Have they beefed up the supplied magnet for the Cruz Pro, because mine was a pathetic, shiny, steel one, only about 5x5 mm in size, and lasted no time. I now have one that's 10mm x 12mm in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	47453  
Old 12-18-2015, 11:14 PM   #85
Guru

Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Pete
Mine was still the small one, but I did try to epoxy it in place. How well I'm not sure, but so far so good. I think I'll put a little more epoxy over the top in view of your experience.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:26 PM   #86
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
Pete
Mine was still the small one, but I did try to epoxy it in place. How well I'm not sure, but so far so good. I think I'll put a little more epoxy over the top in view of your experience.
Be careful there Brian, Worth a try, but I also did that from day one, yet it still rusted and then when a large chunk came off it would not read. Knowing what I experienced, I'd go for the larger hole in the gypsy and larger magnet asap the minute it looks like trouble. Don't put too much epoxy over the working end, or even that might cut down the effect enough to mis-read. Also, epoxy is not good exposed to UV, so maybe a blob of paint now might be better.

I'll see if I can find the other 9 large magnets I got, because I'd be happy to send you a few just in case. I'll never need them.

Cheers,
Old 12-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #87
Guru

Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Be careful there Brian, Worth a try, but I also did that from day one, yet it still rusted and then when a large chunk came off it would not read. Knowing what I experienced, I'd go for the larger hole in the gypsy and larger magnet asap the minute it looks like trouble. Don't put too much epoxy over the working end, or even that might cut down the effect enough to mis-read. Also, epoxy is not good exposed to UV, so maybe a blob of paint now might be better.

I'll see if I can find the other 9 large magnets I got, because I'd be happy to send you a few just in case. I'll never need them.

Cheers,
Thanks, that would be great.

I'll be doing some of the caprails next week with Deks Olje #2, weather permitting, so instead of epoxy I'll dab some on the magnet area each day as well.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #88
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Epoxy will not affect a magnetic field. It does break down in UV light though so paint would be a good idea. 3M 5200 might be good in this application.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 03:04 PM   #89
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I just count the time ... one potato, two potato, and so on. Have about three foot per count.

I do the same 1 minute =90' of chain.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum