Old 04-16-2015, 10:28 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Peter, I know what you're saying about the gadgetry. I love gadgets more than many! I guess that's why I became a pilot....lots of buttons, controls, switches, lights and gauges!! But when it comes to anchor rode length, I'm watching the chain and gypsy from my lower helm controls anyway, so with the rode markers, I never need to distract my attention from the main event to know the rode length. Kind of like a heads-up display for pilots...it gives all the info I need while looking out the windshield. And it's practically free!!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #42
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Our Chihuahua can't see up to the windlass. Our poodle reads the depth sounder, calculates the scope required and then tells me when to stop lowering chain.

Howard

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:28 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Our Chihuahua can't see up to the windlass. Our poodle reads the depth sounder, calculates the scope required and then tells me when to stop lowering chain.

Howard
Aha…gotcha right there hmason. I happen to know, having had a poodle for many years, (happy ones I must say), that just will not happen.

Poodles are way too intelligent to be inveigled into doing anything they do not actually want or enjoy doing. Even if you throw them a stick…something which gets lesser pooches all in an excitement lather, and have them bring it back time and time again to throw again. Poodles look at you with a pained expression, as it to say, "do you think I'm that silly - if I go and fetch that thing, you'll just throw the bloody thing away again - go get it yourself."
Old 04-16-2015, 11:40 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Peter, I know what you're saying about the gadgetry. I love gadgets more than many! I guess that's why I became a pilot....lots of buttons, controls, switches, lights and gauges!! But when it comes to anchor rode length, I'm watching the chain and gypsy from my lower helm controls anyway, so with the rode markers, I never need to distract my attention from the main event to know the rode length. Kind of like a heads-up display for pilots...it gives all the info I need while looking out the windshield. And it's practically free!!
Fair comment Al, however, as an example, the counter helps immensely when it's dark, and conditions change outside, and one either wants to take in a bit, (getting a bit too close to another boat maybe in tight anchorage) - or let out a bit more, (weather getting up) - that's when having an actual read-out totally takes the guess-work or need to go shining torches on the bow, etc, out of the equation. But no question - highly visible ties or markers do work…

Actually, what impressed me was when, for a time, when the original magnet rusted away and loss the ability to trigger the reed with sensors, I had to go back to counting my ties. Then, I rediscovered how often the ties are hard to pick up if dirty with mud or in poor light, and then, when I replaced the magnet with a big fat beauty, and the counter worked like a charm again, I found myself swearing I'd never go without one again.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:18 AM   #45
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

Actually, what impressed me was when, for a time, when the original magnet rusted away and loss the ability to trigger the reed with sensors, I had to go back to counting my ties. Then, I rediscovered how often the ties are hard to pick up if dirty with mud or in poor light, and then, when I replaced the magnet with a big fat beauty, and the counter worked like a charm again, I found myself swearing I'd never go without one again.
That's why counting (one potato, two potato ...) is sure-fire. Can do it with eyes closed.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:22 AM   #46
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:

Seen below is the Cruz Pro el cheapo version. (Made in Auckland NZ, but available to be sent anywhere online). Does not have auto retrieve or that sort of added complication, but works oh so well. (Once I put a bigger magnet on anyway). The lower two pics show the reed switched sensors and the magnet set into a hole in the edge of the gypsy.
Have used the Cruz Pro for several years. Magnets coming loose is the only problem so far.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:25 AM   #47
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Has anyone used these?
Yes, tried these several years ago. They came loose frequently. 3/8" chain. Used a larger size. Difficult to insert. Still some came loose. Then went back to painting the chain as well. The spray paint keeps them from coming loose.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:57 PM   #48
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Quote:
Aha…gotcha right there hmason. I happen to know, having had a poodle for many years, (happy ones I must say), that just will not happen.

Poodles are way too intelligent to be inveigled into doing anything they do not actually want or enjoy doing. Even if you throw them a stick…something which gets lesser pooches all in an excitement lather, and have them bring it back time and time again to throw again. Poodles look at you with a pained expression, as it to say, "do you think I'm that silly - if I go and fetch that thing, you'll just throw the bloody thing away again - go get it yourself."
You are so right. Our Poodle is reading TF right now on her computer. Can't wait to see her reaction to your post.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 01:04 PM   #49
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I'm relying on a one-second count. "One potato, two potato, ..." About 2.5 feet per second with my windlass. Stepping on the pedal:

I use the same system, 60 sec. = 100', the no load speed on my Muir Cougar is 105' per minute, I would rather error with more chain out than be short. I normally anchor in 15' to 20' max depth, usually 5' to 10'.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:39 PM   #50

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Chain Marking

I mark white every 25', with red/white/red at 100' intervals. Then I try to remember what the marks mean
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:39 PM   #51

City: Everett, Wa
Vessel Name: The 6-Pack
Vessel Model: 1983 45' CHB Europa Trawler
Marking Chain

I tend to seek out spots to anchor that are in the 30-50 foot range. Because I am looking for a scope of 3:1 for short stays and 5:1 for long stays I am generally looking for 30ft increments. I painted it with 3 foot sections at 30'. I then double banded zip tie at each 30' interval. 1 @ 30' and 2@ 60', etc... It works great as we only have up with the windlass and free drop. I use pink neon easy to see krylon and just hit once a year.
6-Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:41 PM   #52
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Has anyone used these?
Yes, many times
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:44 PM   #53
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Wow, lots of interesting replies. So to avoid further drift.....

1) I'm using 1/4 G7 chain. They don't appear to make the chain markers that small.
Yes they do. They are called pieces of colored line.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 08:58 AM   #54

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
6Pac - good idea, I have pretty much the same boat, Puget Trawler, I too have a free fall system, I think your system would work the best for me, & will use it. Thanks.
Tonto.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:47 PM   #55

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Yes they do. They are called pieces of colored line.
Thanks, so it looks like you may have overlooked the ENTIRE point of the thread. Well, at least the intention of the thread when I started it. It has since gone way off the track.

The reply you are quoting is to previous suggestion about pre-made chain markers. In fact I actually mentioned that in my original post. The reason I am discounting pre-made chain markers is they don't make them for 1/4" chain.

So, I take it pieces of colored line is your solution? Any suggestions on type of line or how you fasten them?
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #56
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Let the Admiral do it. They are used to painting small things bright colors

Stu
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #57
Dauntless Award

City: New York, NY
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
I use red, then white, then blue at appropriate distances. Basically I paint a two foot section red and 25' later another two foot section blue, followed by white. It's easy for me to remember. And, by painting a big area I can't miss it.

However, the paint with repeated use does wear off (I primarily live on the hook)

AND, the best/smartest thing I did was paint the first three feet white. That tells me the anchor is near the surface so I can run ahead and wash off the anchor before bringing her all the way aboard.

Whatever your bow roller to waterline is add a couple feet so you can spot it easy and you're set. When you see the white, your anchor is ready to be washed. Put her in forward and voila: instantly cleaned anchor.

I added that a few years into the anchoring thing and have found that as useful as the amount out markings.

The other thing I did is this: Ten feet from the bitter end I painted the chain white. That way I know it's getting close. And the final three feet is red.

I wrote a couple articles on it for my website... This one is a good place to start:
Janice142 article Anchor Up (Painting your Chain)

Good luck Shrew.
Great advice.

I also have sense of the time it takes to drop xxft. So many times, I just time it.
Find us: https://share.delorme.com/dauntless
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 05:29 PM   #58

City: San Diego
I gave up on paint and zipties. Instead, cut a piece of 1/4 polypropoleyne and lace it through the chain links about a foot...easy to see, easy to replace.
svgandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:04 PM   #59
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
...So, I take it pieces of colored line...Any suggestions on type of line or how you fasten them?
Polypropylene line is usually 3 strand. Buy 1 foot lengths of 3 or 4 different colors, 1/4" dia and unravel each piece. Burn the ends so they don't fray. Thread the individual strands through your anchor chain at your preferred marking length/depth/color sequence. It works pretty good but in my experience the poly holds sand/mud, the windlass doesn't care though.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 07:18 AM   #60
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Another way is to paint a small section of the chain a different color every 25 feet. The mnemonic for remembering what color equals what distance could be “RUB YOUR BODY WITH OIL” where Red, Yellow, Blue, White and Orange could be the flag colors.

stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote