Old 04-15-2015, 10:11 PM   #21
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Giggitoni,

Your avatar makes me feel sad. Just saying. Maybe it's my age.

Howard

hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:23 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Giggitoni,

Howard
I believe it's a GB42 that was washed out of a harbor by the tidal surge along the northern California or Oregon coast from the tsunami that came across from the earthquake in Japan four years ago. The boat was subsequently washed up on the beach south of the town.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 10:32 PM   #23
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46
I use rustoleum neon paint every 50 feet on about a foot of chain, with red, orange, yellow, and green in that order, which are the first four colors of a rainbow. I then repeat red and orange on the 300 ft chain. I learned the colors of the rainbow by the acronym and name Roy G. Biv. Rustoleum didn't make blue, indigo, or violet neon paint, so I used Roy G.
drb1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:47 PM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Giggitoni,

Howard
Maybe it's because Ray's trans-Panama cruise was cancelled due to the ship's breakdown.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I've seen the chain marking kits for sale. I've also read about painting and folks using zip ties.

How do you mark your chain? If you use paint, what kind? Any feedback on pros/cons of one method over another?
I never ceased to be amazed when this subject comes up, because you US/Canadian types are always into the high-tech stuff asap when it comes to radios, GPS, AIS, generators, aircon, auto-pilots - you name it. Especially when it is something that makes anchoring or sailing life easier. Yet you persist with this antiquated way of marking anchor chain, which is one of the things you do the most, and need to rely on the most, every time you anchor out.

No-one on here has raised the suggestion of a chain counter. There are such cheap and easy ones to install out there now - really. If I can do it on my old boat, (self-installed), and justify the price...surely others can..? I'm not into hi-tech just for the sake of it, and expense is a barrier to me, as to many, yet I would not now be without this one valuable item. Worth thinking about at least. It makes anchoring soooo much easier, especially in poor light.

Seen below is the Cruz Pro el cheapo version. (Made in Auckland NZ, but available to be sent anywhere online). Does not have auto retrieve or that sort of added complication, but works oh so well. (Once I put a bigger magnet on anyway). The lower two pics show the reed switched sensors and the magnet set into a hole in the edge of the gypsy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	39218   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	39219   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	39220  
Old 04-16-2015, 12:11 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I never ceased to be amazed when this subject comes up, because you US/Canadian types are always into the high-tech stuff asap when it comes to radios, GPS, AIS, generators, aircon - you name it.
Ok, Canadian boy here and love my AutoAnchor from New Zealand.......
Attached Images

"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 AM   #27
TF Site Team

G'donya Rochy. Good to see. Yours is the more fancy auto-retrieving type, and might be a bit of a challenge for the owner to self-install, but hey - that's the way to go if can be afforded for sure. If not, it's quite satisfying doing it yourself, and I find choosing when to flick the switch on and off not that challenging. Actually, I like to pause it at 2.5m, because I know then the anchor will be just under the surface, so if muddy when I have geek at it, I move off slowly in a circular direction and it washes most of the mud off before I complete the retrieval on the move.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:29 AM   #28
Guru

Easy DIY and I retrieve same as you, a clean anchor every time.....
Old 04-16-2015, 12:33 AM   #29
Master and Commander

I hose the chain and anchor with fresh water (low pressure, unfortunately) when hoisting the anchor.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:43 AM   #30
Scraping Paint

Quote:
I never ceased to be amazed when this subject comes up, because you US/Canadian types are always into the high-tech stuff asap when it comes to radios, GPS, AIS, generators, zircon, auto-pilots - you name it. Especially when it is something that makes anchoring or sailing life easier. Yet you persist with this antiquated way of marking anchor chain....
Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but lowering a chain off the front end of a boat is about as low-tech and simple a process as I can think of. You step on a pedal and the chain goes out, you step on a different pedal and the chain comes back.

I have nothing against the concept of an anchor counter, and I can see how if one operates their windlass remotely from an upper or lower helm it could be handy. But for people like my wife and I who prefer to operate their windlass at the windlass with the chain going out and coming in right next to us, an electronic chain counter is a solution looking for a problem.

By watching and feeling (by hand) how our rode acts during the setting process we get a lot of very useful information. Information we would not get if we were back at a helm station with no view of the chain at all and no ability to feel what was going on at the end of it.

Tying a wire tie every ten feet costs us, what, a couple of dollars maybe? It's so dirt simple to count the ties to determine how much chain we're letting out, our dog often comes forward and does it for us just for something to do.

Use technology to see what's around us in the fog? Absolutely. Use technology to count chain falling off the front of the boat? Don't really see any value in that. Not when I can look at a two-cent wire tie and say "Ten." And then when I see the next one say, "Twenty."

Or if I'm lazy and this proves to be too intense an undertaking I can ask the dog to do it.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:46 AM   #31
Master and Commander

Yo! Marin.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:44 AM   #32
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Marking Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
I believe it's a GB42 that was washed out of a harbor by the tidal surge along the northern California or Oregon coast from the tsunami that came across from the earthquake in Japan four years ago. The boat was subsequently washed up on the beach south of the town.

You're correct, Marin. I lifted the image from the web just after the tsunami hit the west coast of NA. I have the port-side view somewhere. Always my reminder to check the dock lines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1429166662.903090.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	39222
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 03:19 AM   #33
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Paint every year when I wash the chain for storage. System of marks at 25, 50, 75 and 100, then repeat. 5 colors in spray cans each year.

Used cable ties for 6 years with Maxwell windlass worked great, but replaced with Ideal windlass and the cable ties jammed the chain in the gypsy. At that point shifted to painting.

Later in the game installed a CruzPro chain counter which is wonderful. Continue with both systems as each has its advantages.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:11 AM   #34
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Imtra anchor chain markers

Has anyone used these?
Attached Images

fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #35
TF Site Team

Ok, ok…I guess having a chain counter is kind of like how folk tend to poo hoo things in cars with electric windows, electric auto-adjusting memory seats, cruise control etc, when they don't have them, but when they get a car with them, in quite a short time find themselves wondering how on earth they managed without.

Except for Marin, of course. But he needs to remember he has a wife who likes to run the boat as much as he does, including working the controls, engine, etc, when anchoring, most of us have to manage that stuff solo, (my 2ic is usually reading when we anchor), so that makes anchoring, up and down, much easier from the helm. And no - a dog can't do it.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Ok, okI guess having a chain counter is kind of like how folk tend to poo hoo things in cars with electric windows, electric auto-adjusting memory seats, cruise control etc, when they don't have them, but when they get a car with them, in quite a short time find themselves wondering how on earth they managed without.
Bad analogy I think. All those things make operating a vehicle safer, even the memory seats. A chain counter does not make operating a boat safer EXCEPT in the case of a solo operator, when it does.

For people who have a significant other who sits and reads or looks out the window while the boat is being anchored tell her (or him) to get off her butt, walk up forward, step on the pedal and count out the damn rode markers. She's on the boat anyway so you might as well get some use out of her and the price is right.

And yes, a dog can count out the markers, it's that easy. A cat can't do it because a) it's beneath them and b) they have the attention span of a gnat. However a dog, at least our dog, is not heavy enough to push the pedal all the way down.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:40 PM   #37

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Wow, lots of interesting replies. So to avoid further drift.....

1) I'm using 1/4 G7 chain. They don't appear to make the chain markers that small.

2) I have a 25lb Manson Supreme and I do NOT have a windlass.

3) The Admiral deploys and retrieves the anchor manually. I drive up to is and she retrieves the line.

4) We're only talking about 100 ft. of chain.

Neither a windlass nor a chain counter is going to be installed.

I really appreciate everyone's replies. Some great ideas about marking anchor out of water and also at the bitter end of the rode.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:14 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
....Use technology to count chain falling off the front of the boat? Don't really see any value in that. Not when I can look at a two-cent wire tie and say "Ten." And then when I see the next one say, "Twenty."

Or if I'm lazy and this proves to be too intense an undertaking I can ask the dog to do it.
Teach the dog to pee on chain and anchor during retrieve (easy if he/she is a retriever),you won`t need the deckwash.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:21 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Teach the dog to pee on chain and anchor during retrieve (easy if he/she is a retriever),you won`t need the deckwash.
Another anchor thread that has turned into a _ _ _ _ _ _ _ contest....

I still love my counter....
Old 04-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #40

City: Port Havelock
Vessel Name: Siesta
Vessel Model: Pelin Sterling 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
Has anyone used these?
Yes, I use them. I have them at every 10m of chain. 1= 10m, 2 = 20m, 3 = 30m etc...

"To fish or not to fish, what a silly question. "
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote