Old 06-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #21
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Tadhana, does the polypropylene pick up the mud and grit from the bottom?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #22
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
My chain powers out 25 feet every 15 seconds. I just watch the second hand to know how much chain is out. I use cable ties as a visual backup.

For the OP, I have two dock mates that use Rustoleum brand with some sort of confusing pattern.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 06:42 PM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by meridian View Post
Put the section of chain in a cardboard box for painting.
That's how I do it. I like a box 2 feet long and about 1 foot wide with notches cut in each end of the box, just large enough for the chain to fit in. Spray & move the box....I only have to mark the chain 3 times as that gets me to 150 feet.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #24

City: New England to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Well, no more than the chain picks up I suppose. I have been using it for 3 full years,here on the Chesapeake and along the ICW. Lots of muddy anchorages! and the rope does have some dirt in it. But it remains very easy to see. The tail ends of the rope stick out well and are easy to see in the dark. .
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:33 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Every time this issue comes up, I find it incredible the lengths folk will go to to save a buck, with all this elaborate marking of the chain, when chain-counters are so damn cheap and pretty easy to install yourself, unless you got the real high end, self-parking types. Heck, if I can do it on my old dunger, anybody can...

They only cost a fraction of what you all fork out for sonar, Autopilot, GPS, Radar, AIS, etc, and yet it's the one thing you will use every time you drop anchor, and up-anchor, with no visibility issues whatsoever. You don't have to go out in the rain...ever...

I don't even have autopilot, AIS, or Radar, and manage fine without. But I'd hate to manage now without my chain counter. Had to once for a time, when the magnet rusted out - replaced with better one asap. Hated it the whole time until fixed. The last thing I want to have to do when manoeuvring to drop anchor is to try counting bits of coloured stuff flying over the end of the fricking roller..!

It's kinda like electric windows or remote locking on a car I guess. You never realise just how great it is until you have it.
Old 06-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #26
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post
Well, no more than the chain picks up I suppose. I have been using it for 3 full years,here on the Chesapeake and along the ICW. Lots of muddy anchorages! and the rope does have some dirt in it. But it remains very easy to see. The tail ends of the rope stick out well and are easy to see in the dark. .
How do you weave the line through the chain? Do you tie off the ends? Thanks.

Howard
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:43 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
But I'd hate to manage now without my chain counter. ....The last thing I want to have to do when maneuvering to drop anchor is to try counting bits of colored stuff flying over the end of the fricking roller..! It's kinda like electric windows or remote locking on a car I guess. You never realize just how great it is until you have it.
Well, that pretty much sums it up for me! I think that's my next toy!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:59 PM   #28
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
Well, that pretty much sums it up for me! I think that's my next toy!
Whaaaat? Walt. That amazing vessel of your'n has no chain counter. Oh, man...go...go now and organise one. You'll be able to get the nifty self-docking bells and whistles version even. You'll find yourself saying, "that's the best dang thang I've ever added".

Hang on...didn't your Halvorsen Gourmet 32' Cruiser have one..?
Old 06-20-2016, 06:41 AM   #29
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Thanks for the replies, and the old links to past threads, great stuff.

Regarding those imtra links, so they stayed in place after years of anchor pulling? Can you see them in low light?
They work great. And yes you can see them in low light.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 06:47 AM   #30
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
How do you weave the line through the chain? Do you tie off the ends? Thanks.

Howard
You just weave it through the spaces in the links. You don't need to tie off the ends. But I do whip the ends one way or the other.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Hang on...didn't your Halvorsen Gourmet 32' Cruiser have one..?
Nope! She didn't have one! I saw her just the other day and her new owners are taking better care of the boat than I did & that's the gospel truth. Seahorse is now called "True Blue" and can be seen cruising San Diego bay frequently.

Yep, this anchor needs a nanny!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	53310  

Old 06-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #32

City: So-Cal
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
I don't know anyone that has a chain counter, so I never though about installing one.

Also, The anchor locker gets hammered with dirt and salt, so I figured an electronic device was prone to failure with time.

I just cleaned out mine yesterday, including removing and spraying down the electrical connections with super lube.

I like the box method described with the hole in each end to prevent over spray.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:15 PM   #33
Guru

City: Full-time onboard
Vessel Model: Trawler
I've tried a variety of different paints and have standardized on Kylon's road marking paint. I found Rustoleum would flake off after a year or abrasion. The road marking paints are made for some contact (or so I convinced myself).

I'm also a one color guy for marking chain. It's too difficult to tell colors in low lighting. So 1 mark for 25', 2 for 50', 3 for 75', and 4 for 100'. Then it repeats. If you can't tell which "hundred" you're on, you're not paying enough attention. It hasn't ever been a problem and makes it all much easier to paint.

I often put some zinc primer under the Krylon. It usually lasts 2 years.
Jeffrey S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 12:35 PM   #34
Guru

I anchor a lot. I have several links painted red at 50 feet, and at 100 feet.
I don't need any other markings.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #35
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
I don't know anyone that has a chain counter, so I never though about installing one.
Also, The anchor locker gets hammered with dirt and salt, so I figured an electronic device was prone to failure with time.
Fletch, the chain counter in most cases is well clear of salt water and muddy muck, as you can see here in the pic below, with the reed switches mounted on the winch housing opposite the top of the gypsy, and the magnet in a hole drilled through the gypsy. Winches which are vertically mounted, and only the gypsy above deck might be a bit trickier to fit, but they make counters for them. Presumably the reed switches are mounted on the non-rotating part of the chain guide somewhere where it won't be knocked off.

This is one...
Rode Counters : Rodster - Online Marine Equipment Store

and here's another...
Muir AA150 Chain Counter | Anchoring & Docking | Anchor Winch Accessories | Boating and RV

and these ones fit vertical winches for sure...as most, if not all of the Lewmars are vertical - one of these is even wireless, so not even wires to run and connect.
https://www.keoghsmarine.com.au/Anch...Chain-Counters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	53393   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	53394  
Old 06-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Yarrow Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA III
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
Same here. I last used some Valspar Outdoor, from Lowes. Still quite visible after 3 years, so I doubt the brand makes much difference. And, the R-W-B every 5 fathoms keeps it simple. I'll be touching it up this week.

I can buy a lot of paint for the cost of a chain counter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
Rustoleum. Red, white and blue every 30 feet. Red 30, white 60, blue 90 repeat. First painted three years ago time for a touch up. I did not use primer on the galvinized chain and it seems to hold up well.

For the beating it takes going in and out of the locker I don't think it matters what brand paint you use.

Rob
Old 07-10-2016, 12:06 AM   #37
Guru

Old thread but I just painted my chain.

While I like the RWB idea, I wasn't sure about differentiating the colors in the dark. I ended up doing something similar to the suggestions above.

I bought three Rustoleum paint colors, standard gloss white, fluorescent yellow and fluorescent green.

I used about a 12 inch section of yellow for each 25'. So at 25', 1 yellow section, 2 sections of yellow at 50' and 3 at 75'. I used the white paint to paint about a 5-6" separation between each section at a 3 link bit of white at either end of the yellow. I wanted good contrast for flat light or low light. I use about a 18" section of the green at 100' (bordered by three links of white). Then at 125' I started putting a small band of green before the yellow sections. At 200' there are 2 green sections then 2 small green bands before the yellow sections at 223'. 25', and 275'

Again, using suggestion from you all I added a white section that will show up just before the anchor breaks free of the water when raising, and I used a long yellow sections before the anchor rode is completely played out at about 300'.

While my son and I were painting, we were less than impressed by the yellow. However, today when using the anchor for the first time I was amazed at how easy the yellow was to see. Using the white paint to separate and border it was a huge help. I only used 75' of rode today so don't know how the green turned out.

Thanks for all the great ideas and discussion. It helped me decide what and how I was going to do it. (yes, I used a box as was suggested to paint the chain at the dock)

Hopefully, the paint will last for a few years.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 07-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #38
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I'll be replacing mine, 200' of 5/16', this week. My plan is, 5' of white before the anchor shackle, a foot (maybe 2)of red and a red cable tie at 50', a foot of yellow at 75', a foot of white with white cable tie at 100', foot of yellow at 125', foot of blue and blue cable tie at 150', foot of yellow at 175', 5' of white before the end at 200' I'll have about 15' of nylon rope between the end of the chain and the ubolt in the anchor locker. I very seldom anchor in more than 15' of water.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #39

City: Camden, Maine
Vessel Name: Webfoot
Vessel Model: French & Webb 39
I painted my chain at 60', 120' and 180', and the bitter end. My theory was that I never use less than 60', most often use 120', and seldom have to get to 180'. Works great here in Maine, and is simple.
Camden Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camden Jack View Post
I painted my chain at 60', 120' and 180', and the bitter end. My theory was that I never use less than 60', most often use 120', and seldom have to get to 180'. Works great here in Maine, and is simple.
Welcome to the forum Jack.

Dave
SPOT page