Old 12-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #41

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Peter, talking to a Quick windlass user, he said he had a similar problem with the magnet - it seemed that it just wasn't strong enough. Quick have now come up with a new position for the magnet because it was getting swamped by the magnetic field from the motor under high loading. The counter would work while dropping the chain but not on retrieval.
This could be the cause of the apparent Cruz Pro magnet failure. Mine continued to work for 7 years because the windlass is hydraulic so there is no associated magnetic field to interfere with the magnet/sensors.

Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #42
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Might have had something to do with it, but mine worked until one day about 1/4 of the magnet came away as rust, then it failed. Replacing it with the big mother there now got it going like a charm straight away - fortunately just in time to stop me ripping all the wiring out, convinced I had a dud join somewhere.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #43

City: Annandale, VA
Vessel Name: Valkyrie
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Eastbay 43
As a sailboater coming to the trawler community, I've used a chain marking system for about 20 years and have only lost 1 marker over that period,.

I use Red & Green strips of 2" Rip-Stop nylon, cut in 3 foot lengths, marked with permanent marker (say 120') then threaded thru the chain every 30 feet and tied with a simple knot. Never had a problem going over all chain gypsies and you don't miss a 3' marker as it goes over the bow.

Ardell
Ardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #44
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardell View Post
As a sailboater coming to the trawler community, I've used a chain marking system for about 20 years and have only lost 1 marker over that period,.

I use Red & Green strips of 2" Rip-Stop nylon, cut in 3 foot lengths, marked with permanent marker (say 120') then threaded thru the chain every 30 feet and tied with a simple knot. Never had a problem going over all chain gypsies and you don't miss a 3' marker as it goes over the bow.

Ardell
Just adopted this method (with white & red spinnaker cloth) at the beginning of this past boating season. Seems to work quite well and one doesn't have to worry about paint wearing off chain or loosing track of paint marks.