Mantus and Sarca anchors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dhays - Thank you. That is exactly what I will do when I tackle the problem. How big a rode 5/8th or 3/4? I know it should'nt be to big for the "stretch" effect.? Your thoughts.

It's not uncommon for chain and rope sizes to be semi-related. 5/16ths chain might get 5/8ths, rope, 3/8ths chain might get 3/4ths rope, etc. Might have to do with the rope-to-chain splicing, but in our case it had to do with fitting the windlass gypsy...

-Chris

Since it is almost impossible for me to be anchored out in a hurricane or in high winds in an unprotected anchorage on a single anchor and rode I usually opt for the lighter line choice so long as it fits the system. That way I get the stretch more room in the locker and a line that handles better. I have always found that chafe is the major weak link and that more care has to be given to a rope rode in this department. All chain and I use very light stretchy snubber line with an elastic stretch devise and chafe gear. I also carry light aluminum high holding power anchors short chain and rode to deploy from my dinghy and do so if I think my gear might get stressed.

"I have always found that chafe is the major weak link and that more care has to be given to a rope rode in this department."

Agreed , So it might make sense for the bitter end of a rope rode to have 5-8 ft of chain spliced on.

It would pass from the windlass thru the chain stopper and over the bow roller and would not chafe away in a blow.

IF it needed to be cut away a larger retreval float will be required to lift the 8 ft of chain.

Thanks guys -- conversations like this one and the way it has evolved is why enjoy this web site. As a point. A Chandler told me I needed a 7/8" rode for my 3/8" chain. I can't remember why they recommended it. Chain locker has quit a bit of room in it. The 200' rode seems to be the length suggested by most.

I have 400' of 5/8" line on my 30' boat and it's overkill. Not the length but the dia.
We should size down. 5/8" to 3/4" for you and 1/2 to 9/16" for me.

But I probably won't and you may not for the same reason .. not cost effective.

Thanks guys -- conversations like this one and the way it has evolved is why enjoy this web site. As a point. A Chandler told me I needed a 7/8" rode for my 3/8" chain. I can't remember why they recommended it. Chain locker has quit a bit of room in it. The 200' rode seems to be the length suggested by most.
I would think that is oversized compared to the chain. Other than weight, cost, and less stretch, no problem with being oversized that I can think of. I think I would still go with 5/8 or 3/4 when or if you ever need to retire that line.

When I made up a bridle for my boat I used 1/2" three strand nylon.

"A Chandler told me I needed a 7/8" rode for my 3/8" chain. I can't remember why they recommended it"

There is a better profit margin on more expensive purchases.

With its lack of stretch it is more likely to rip the anchor out under load.

So he gets to sell a bigger anchor too.

Nylon needs about 15% of its breaking strength to begin to stretch properly and help the anchor stay set.

Frequently 1/2 inch will give the best ride in most anchorages with no combers .

Last edited:
"A Chandler told me I needed a 7/8" rode for my 3/8" chain. I can't remember why they recommended it"

I was told the same thing -- weight of boat etc. was the logic, I think. After some thought, I'm sure I won't go larger then 3/4.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom