Old 02-04-2017, 01:21 PM   #41
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
Eric

I had the choice of 5/16 BBB or 1/4 inch HT chain. I chose the 1/4 as its working load was greater than 5/16 and with 400 feet, I kept the weight down in the bow.

Tom

tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:16 PM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
"1/4 as its working load was greater than 5/16"

REALLY!
How can that be? For years whenever I thought about chain (not often) I thought 1/4" would be too weak. And now you say it's stronger than 5/16". Would 3/16"be stronger than 1/4"? I'm missing something ......

Edit;
Oh I see now after rereading BBB and HT.

And that's great keeping the weight down .. especially in the bow.
Is your boat single engine? That would be a big savings in weight. And windage is even more important and you have no FB. Pull up all the variables and I'll bet your 45lb anchor is plenty big enough.
Does the Mantus pull up mud often?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #43

City: Anacortes
Surprised that you wouldn't use at least 5/16" HT on a NT42.
Also sort of surprised that you could find a 1/4" chain head for a windlass that size.
What size shackles are you using with 1/4" chain? 5/16"? If so the shackle has a breaking strength of 1500# where the chain has a working strength of 1900#. It's ratcheting the overall strength of the rode downward.
The Dashew's use high strength G7 chain on their projects. For example working strength of 1/4" HT is 1900# on G7 it's 3150#. G7 is also expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpbrady View Post
Eric

I had the choice of 5/16 BBB or 1/4 inch HT chain. I chose the 1/4 as its working load was greater than 5/16 and with 400 feet, I kept the weight down in the bow.

Tom
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #44
Guru

Sean,
I find the Dashews interesting but don't look to them for guidance. They live on another planet.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:18 PM   #45
Guru

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I found a high strength 5/16 shackle that had a working load a little higher than the chain. On the windlass I had the choice of 1/4 or 5/16 gypsy for the Lofrans Tigress so everything worked out.

The Mantus does regularly bring up mud and all the things stuck in it.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:55 PM   #46

City: Anacortes
I've learned quite a lot from the Dashew's, not sure why you would discount them. Knowledge is power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Sean,
I find the Dashews interesting but don't look to them for guidance. They live on another planet.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:09 PM   #47
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Nomad Willy commented...

Sean,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
I've learned quite a lot from the Dashew's, not sure why you would discount them. Knowledge is power.
I think Eric (Nomad Willy) was referring to the fact that for the Dashews, (unlike for most of us mere mortals), money is no object...not that one could not learn anything from them.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #48
Guru

Nice to see my analyst is up and running.
Thank you Peter however that wasn't the biggest part of it.

Everything about the D boats is as far from normal boating as it could be. We're fly'in hang gliders and they have flying saucers. We're go'in to the farm down the road and the D boys are anchoring in a gale in Patagoina. The D boats float and that's about it.

They are interesting but I'm not about to buck up and do as they do.

And this is very far off topic. When was the last time SARCA or Mantus anchors were mentioned? Just 8 posts ago I see.

Old 02-05-2017, 06:44 AM   #49
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean9c View Post
Knowledge is only power if you use it to hold over someone's head or if you personally need it.

Knowledge on being able to anchor in conditions the Dashew's have and plan to encounter is totally lost on most boaters. Info they most likely will never need.

I tend to seek experience and knowledge from people who do what I do regularly as to occasionally.

So reading someone's info.....yet using someone else for guidance is actually pretty common.

To me, I can read into where a person is no longer entry level and knows who is actually knowledgeable in a specific topic rather than published experts who have certain levels of expertise, but certainly can't know everything.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:02 AM   #50
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress Anchors View Post
This will be my last post under the name Fortress Anchors, since as per this forum's rules, a commercial name is not allowed and so I will have to make up another name.
OK, welcome back as soon as you work out your new name.

Maybe your name, label yourself as a Marine Service Provider... and then adopt an avatar that clearly suggests you know something about Fortress anchors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Where I anchor now and even on the East coast where I used to anchor changing fluke angles or exchanging anchors on a 40-50 foot boat is not something I would want to do on a regular basis.
That's theoretically an issue with the Fortress anchors. Changing the fluke angle -- after the fact -- means recovering the anchor, dismantling, rebuilding, redeploying...

Not actually difficult, but the boat is floating wherever during that time. Usually it'd be a minor detail assuming crew aboard... not so great, if single-handing.

OTOH, we've never been faced with that. We know it's muddy around here, so when we used the Fortress, we always had it set appropriately in the first place. Never had to change mid-stream, so to speak.

FWIW, we can change the angle on our primary anchor without dismantling. Still have to bring it back up, but I can change it in place once it's cradled on the bow roller. Haven't ever had to do that, either... although we've also not yet ever had to use the "mud" setting on that one.

-Chris
Old 02-05-2017, 10:20 AM   #51

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Cool Water
Vessel Model: C&L Puget Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvalonGB View Post
Last spring we replaced our 66lb Bruce with an 85lb Mantus. We've been very pleased with the anchor and gear so far. Also use their bridle and swivel.

Nice company to deal with.
Tim
What windless are you using to handle the weight? I was looking to buy a Mantas at the 75lbs range -- called Ideal, they said my windless was rated to about 45lbs. WTH!! A boat this size with a light duty windless. Anyway, buying a larger capable windless is not in the cards now. Still looking at Mantas in the 50lbs range, or a Sarca Ex cel.
TONTOROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #52
Guru

City: B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
T.ROSS,
What is your windlass? I have a Lofrans Tigres on my 32 ft boat. Overkill maybe but better than undersized. I also use G7 1/4" chain.

However I have seen windlasses that were dinky yet they worked because the boat seldom anchored and then only in highly protected places. Maybe that's what your original owner did.

So what is your unit specifically?
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #53

Mr. C. My Windless is an Ideal CWM 12V. Capasity etc. All other info is missing on the plate. As of now it has 150' of 3/8" chain. Many things have my attention. Anchor and devises is 2nd fiddle. They also bolted the chain to the bottom of the boat. There is a 20K Bruce on the working end. Everything I've read so far recommends an anchor in the 65lb range. Go figure.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:49 PM   #54
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
The Ideal website is not very intuitive, but if you go to the Service tab and scroll down you will see CWM listed as a Size 1. There is a lot of info on their website, but you have to stumble around all over the place to dig it out.
IDEAL WINDLASS COMPANY
Old 02-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insequent View Post
The Ideal website is not very intuitive, but if you go to the Service tab and scroll down you will see CWM listed as a Size 1. There is a lot of info on their website, but you have to stumble around all over the place to dig it out.
IDEAL WINDLASS COMPANY
Thank you. I went there & contacted Ideal by phone prior to making my last post. For now, a 50lb'er will have to work 'till boat money for that project falls from the sky. I will address the short chain & the bolting to the bottom of the boat in the not to far distant future. (I hope).
Old 02-09-2017, 10:35 AM   #56
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONTOROSS View Post
Thank you. I went there & contacted Ideal by phone prior to making my last post. For now, a 50lb'er will have to work 'till boat money for that project falls from the sky. I will address the short chain & the bolting to the bottom of the boat in the not to far distant future. (I hope).

A quick way to address the short chain for not much money is to add a 3 strand line to your chain for a combination rode. Simply adding 200' of line will give you a very good anchor rode.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #57
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
A quick way to address the short chain for not much money is to add a 3 strand line to your chain for a combination rode. Simply adding 200' of line will give you a very good anchor rode.
I believe a combination (chain and line) is actually pretty common, especially on non-sail boats. That's what I have, 30' of 5/16 G4 chain and 150' of line. I would probably have a little more line but there was a misunderstanding at West Marine.

BTW: All the talk of super new gen anchors is interesting but my 33 lb claw anchor has served me well so until it doesn't, it's hard to justify a few hundred dollars on a replacement.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #58

dhays - Thank you. That is exactly what I will do when I tackle the problem. How big a rode 5/8th or 3/4? I know it should'nt be to big for the "stretch" effect.? Your thoughts.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #59
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TONTOROSS View Post
dhays - Thank you. That is exactly what I will do when I tackle the problem. How big a rode 5/8th or 3/4? I know it should'nt be to big for the "stretch" effect.? Your thoughts.
Look in a marine catalog for pre-spliced rodes. Match your chain size and then look at what size line they use.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #60
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Mantus and Sarca anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Look in a marine catalog for pre-spliced rodes. Match your chain size and then look at what size line they use.

+1

Great idea from Wes. I would guess 5/8"

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote