Mantus "digger" anchor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Delfin wrote;
“an anchor that weighs more is better than one that weighs less if of similar design, and one with a burying design of heavier weight is more likely to be serviceable across a broad range of conditions”

This is a very important point “across a broad range of conditions“.
Bigger is better is actually a different element.
Bigger vessels frequently have Navy anchors or similar. Not much fluke area but very heavy. Most of these boats (or ships) have one choice and one anchor.
They usually aren’t burrying anchors and IMO act as little bulldozers. Most or all have a shape/structure at the head of the flukes and at the shank pivot point. The intent is to use the narrow smallish flukes to pull the upper part of the anchor that I refer to as the bulldozer hard against the seafloor. If the anchor is to drag it will need to pull/push the great mound of seafloor ahead of the anchor. And due to their weight and design they don’t just pop up and out of the seafloor. But they create a lot of resistance and drag very slowly when they do. They also use widerthroat angles probably because of the weight of the anchor pushing the flukes down into the seafloor.

I have a similar anchor .. a Dreadnought. It’s 35lbs. That’s a huge anchor for my low windage 30’ boat. I’ve only used it once. When I started to “set” it it wouldn’t budge. It immediately held the boat in reverse at about 1500rpm.

But I have the feeling it would anchor the boat in almost any conceivable bottom. “over a broad range of conditions” Just lower it to the bottom and forget about it. The fishermen in SE Alaska almost universally use such an anchor w very heavy rodes often w studded chain of various chain sizes shackled together and a big reel type winch to haul it all aboard. They hold in “summer gales” but drag slowly in “winter 60knot” gales. So their performance is not much above their minimal despite all the weight in ground tackle. Very dependable. Rarely any supprises re bottom type or scope. “Over a broad range of conditions”.

And again Delfin gets it right w the word “serviceability”. How well it works and working basically all the time is great serviceability.

thanks for the response. I have a 26 pound Danforth that I got off craigslist (may be a copy ) and a fx37 (real thing)that I got at a yard sale . the boat came with two cqr's .one must have been his storm anchor I can hardly carry it .I brought the big one home (it was damaging the deck in rough conditions )

the worst anchor problem I have now is the clevis ,rode thimble ,and guard after 30 feet of chain get hung up coming through the deck .I had send a friend down to turn the clevis while I held the tension off .do I need the guard over the thimble? I could use a smaller clevis without it.

anyway I don't think the fx 37 will set in the bow roller very well.so I may try the Danforth . I have watched Steve's videos and like the way the mantus preformed. it's on the wish list . I have been trying not to spend more than a boat unit a month. and window leaks and a ac pump has taken it this month.

Tim,
Why did you like the Mantus more than the Supreme or Sarca? Both of them seem to perform better and have shorter shanks. The Mantus does well by the guys that have them. But ...Has there been a test (other than Steve’s vids) that featured the Mantus? To me it’s kinda like why buy a Kia when there’s Honda’s and Toyota’s? Never seen a Mantus where they pulled on it w 5000lbs of force. But maybe there is such a test ???

By the way it looks like you could save enough to by a Max (see if their sale is still on) or a Vulcan in moorage money saved by cutting back that long pulpit.

I have a Rocna. The Mantus looks, well, cheap with the bolt assembly....

I kind of agree, moving parts on an anchor somehow bother me. If it can move, and it shouldn't, then it probably will... I'm a duct tape and DW-40 kind of guy, if it moves and it's not supposed to duct tape can fix that. If it should, and it doesn't, it's time for the WD-40. I have always had better luck with duct tape :)

Delfin wrote;
“an anchor that weighs more is better than one that weighs less if of similar design, and one with a burying design of heavier weight is more likely to be serviceable across a broad range of conditions”

This is a very important point “across a broad range of conditions“.
Bigger is better is actually a different element.
Bigger vessels frequently have Navy anchors or similar. Not much fluke area but very heavy. Most of these boats (or ships) have one choice and one anchor.
They usually aren’t burrying anchors and IMO act as little bulldozers. Most or all have a shape/structure at the head of the flukes and at the shank pivot point. The intent is to use the narrow smallish flukes to pull the upper part of the anchor that I refer to as the bulldozer hard against the seafloor. If the anchor is to drag it will need to pull/push the great mound of seafloor ahead of the anchor. And due to their weight and design they don’t just pop up and out of the seafloor. But they create a lot of resistance and drag very slowly when they do. They also use widerthroat angles probably because of the weight of the anchor pushing the flukes down into the seafloor.

I have a similar anchor .. a Dreadnought. It’s 35lbs. That’s a huge anchor for my low windage 30’ boat. I’ve only used it once. When I started to “set” it it wouldn’t budge. It immediately held the boat in reverse at about 1500rpm.

But I have the feeling it would anchor the boat in almost any conceivable bottom. “over a broad range of conditions” Just lower it to the bottom and forget about it. The fishermen in SE Alaska almost universally use such an anchor w very heavy rodes often w studded chain of various chain sizes shackled together and a big reel type winch to haul it all aboard. They hold in “summer gales” but drag slowly in “winter 60knot” gales. So their performance is not much above their minimal despite all the weight in ground tackle. Very dependable. Rarely any supprises re bottom type or scope. “Over a broad range of conditions”.

And again Delfin gets it right w the word “serviceability”. How well it works and working basically all the time is great serviceability.

Seems like the key is getting the pointy bits of the anchor dug in, and after that performance goes up with increased surface area providing resistance, and how deep the anchor will bury itself. Differences in anchor design have a big impact on that functionality, and that is where technique appropriate for a particular design can be helpful. My Ultra, like the Excel, has a droopy nose that is filled with lead so it is probably more forgiving than a Danforth style when it comes to getting it started diving. The Mantus fluke seems to have a very sharp point, which I suspect is why people with them think they're great - they probably start setting very quickly. What I don't like about the Mantus is that after it starts to dig in, there are a lot of obstacles in its design that would affect how well it continues to dive.

Delfin wrote;
“My Ultra, like the Excel, has a droopy nose that is filled with lead so it is probably more forgiving than a Danforth style when it comes to getting it started diving”

But the Ultra and Excel are not as skinny and pick like as the Danforth. Lead chambers are a bulbous mass of lead not very likely to penetrate seafloors very well. The Spade would do better IMO if it would reduce the size of the chamber. But weight and super skinny fluke tips aren’t 100% compatible. But it’s a fact that both weight and penetrating shapes are golden in anchors but real performance is based mostly on excellent balance. But super pointy is not as dependable as heavy w good design.

Delfin wrote;
“My Ultra, like the Excel, has a droopy nose that is filled with lead so it is probably more forgiving than a Danforth style when it comes to getting it started diving”

But the Ultra and Excel are not as skinny and pick like as the Danforth. Lead chambers are a bulbous mass of lead not very likely to penetrate seafloors very well. The Spade would do better IMO if it would reduce the size of the chamber. But weight and super skinny fluke tips aren’t 100% compatible. But it’s a fact that both weight and penetrating shapes are golden in anchors but real performance is based mostly on excellent balance. But super pointy is not as dependable as heavy w good design.

All the tests I've seen that compare the Ultra to the Spade has the Ultra coming out on top. In my own usage, I bring up a ton of bottom on retrieval, and I suspect that the very smooth surface of the stainless assists in penetration, so diving into the sea bed doesn't appear to be an issue. Panope wanted to do a video of my anchor, but we never connected in Port Townsend. I may try to rig up my GoPro a la his setup as I think it would be pretty interesting to see how a heavy Ultra acts under water.

https://www.boatingmag.com/top-anchors-tested#page-12
http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/assets/pdf/anchor-test.pdf

Tim,
Why did you like the Mantus more than the Supreme or Sarca? Both of them seem to perform better and have shorter shanks. The Mantus does well by the guys that have them. But ...Has there been a test (other than Steve’s vids) that featured the Mantus? To me it’s kinda like why buy a Kia when there’s Honda’s and Toyota’s? Never seen a Mantus where they pulled on it w 5000lbs of force. But maybe there is such a test ???

By the way it looks like you could save enough to by a Max (see if their sale is still on) or a Vulcan in moorage money saved by cutting back that long pulpit.

a kia may be better than a Honda:rolleyes:

honestly it's been awhile since I watched them .but I recall in resetting on the 180 very quickly .although I did see a sail boat that promotes them drag and ground.

and with me being cheap and not anchoring out a lot I'll probably buy what I find used (of the 4 or 5 I like)not deltas or claws.

and the pulpit length would cost more to fix the railing that I would ever save . my dues don't change with boat size 10' or 50' costs me the same .marinas charge me for 38 or 40 without bringing out the tape measure.

lastly any reason I have to have this chain to ,swivel to ,clevis to, guarded and thimbled rode? the po was in the coast guard so he might have had reason . rocks? I think it causes a dangerous situation if I need to get the anchor out quick and it jams up coming through the deck.

heck we used to sleep at the lake with a Danforth 1/2' rope and the stern tied to shore . but I think we where just lucky back then.

thanks

Delfin,
I don’t pay any attention to the Ultra. It’s just too expensive to be of any value if you get what I mean. Kinda like I don’t pay any attention to bussiness jets. But I have seen them and they are the most beautiful anchor.
Well if the Ultra outperforms the Spade it’s some good anchor. But in a way it’s usless if people can’t afford it.
Steve hasn’t clocked in for quite awhile. I think he’s through w us. I’m going to go over there and do some setting w three modified anchors. With the exception of all the weed/grass It’s a near perfect bottom so if my modded anchors won’t work there ???? PT is a fun place and my wife will prolly go along. Need her to pull the anchors. Nawww I think I’m up to it. I had a rotater cuff operation several months ago.

Tim,
You could splice the shorting cut and afix it w ss pop rivets. We did it a lot in UL aircraft.

And a cheap 45 to 55lb Bruce would do good on your boat. Takes up little room on the bow too. And a 55lb Bruce is probably better than a normal sized Delta. I’d go w a Danforth around 30lbs but it would need to be the real deal w a forged shank. All the Dan imitations are just junk.

We anchor in mud
We anchor in sand
We anchor in weed
We anchor in broken coral
We do 180 degree tidal swings
We get violent 180 degree wind shifts.

The one anchor has handled it all with nary an inch dragged

Delfin,
I don’t pay any attention to the Ultra. It’s just too expensive to be of any value if you get what I mean. Kinda like I don’t pay any attention to bussiness jets. But I have seen them and they are the most beautiful anchor.
Well if the Ultra outperforms the Spade it’s some good anchor. But in a way it’s usless if people can’t afford it.
Steve hasn’t clocked in for quite awhile. I think he’s through w us. I’m going to go over there and do some setting w three modified anchors. With the exception of all the weed/grass It’s a near perfect bottom so if my modded anchors won’t work there ???? PT is a fun place and my wife will prolly go along. Need her to pull the anchors. Nawww I think I’m up to it. I had a rotater cuff operation several months ago.

I don't think there is a quantitative/economic justification for an Ultra anymore than there is an quantitative/economic justification for a boat. But you make a fair point.

Its a good thing some of you guys are talking from a distance with your keyboards or there may be some cut anchor lines in the middle of the night.:D I have been going thru this very thing in my prep for anchoring in mud and rocks.

I have traveled in a wide variety of vessels across a wide variety of regions throughout the northern hemisphere and have only used the Danforths with little to no problems. I guess after reading this thread I am a lucky feller .

Where are the videos that some of you speak about? I am always up to learning and surely want to "look the part" if nothing else with the right anchor hanging off of my pulpit.

But seriously if anyone has spent some time in Maine and spent time on anchor, please give me the scoop of your preference. And no I don't need a gold plated iron rock.

Mantus "digger" anchor

Outfitting new build GHTT35. Does anyone have direct experience with Mantus anchor? Online reviews have been very favorable, but I'd be interested in hearing from someone with firsthand experience.

Thanks

Our Go To is a Rocna 40 Vulcan SS !
IMG_3193.jpgIMG_3190.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3190.jpg
    IMG_3190.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 60
Back
Top Bottom