Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 AM   #141
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
OMG it looks like an Ultra.

And that fits your text too.

Does it work as good as it looks? The only other anchor I know of that is as beautiful as the Ultra is a Claw. All others look industrial. But the Claw and Ultra are a bit sculpture. Spade is a runner up though.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #142
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Bulwagga

This wins all beauty contests.

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:26 AM   #143
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Moon River
Vessel Model: Devlin 48
Does it work as good as it looks? There are so many variables with anchoring including the person at the helm that using testimonials as to which anchor works is hard for me to get a handle on. All I personally can say is that I have used Danforth-Bruce-CQR-Delta-Manson-spade and Ultra some on East Coast others PNW. It's my opinion for what ever that's worth that the last three mentioned seem to set faster and drag less if at all and I would use any of them including close cousins with a fair degree of confidence.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:32 AM   #144

City: South Pasadena, FL
Question Mant us Anchors

After reading most of the posts on Mantus anchors, I never ran across anyone that is actually using one. I purchased the 8 pound anchor and put it together yesterday and 2 of the galvanized bolts stripped before they completely tightened. I can get more from Mantus or the local hardware store but here is my main concern.
If the anchor plows into mud, grass or sand, how do you retrieve it? Nothing on the Mantus site explains this. It looks like it really holds well. Does anyone have experience using this anchor before I get mine stuck?
Thanks in advance.
Captsnook27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #145

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I would assume it works the same as a Rocna or a Manson Supreme. The three looks almost identical. It would be retrieved the same as those anchors.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:34 AM   #146
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
. Our piece of sh*t Bruce anchor set fast in every bottom we encountered. And it also failed almost every time a substantial load was put on it as it has for other boaters we know. This is why we relegated it to propping open a door in the garage and got one of the proven, best-holding anchors in the world to replace it..........
It seems odd that something that works well for many folks would be described as a "piece of sh*t" by someone else. Perhaps you have different bottom conditions than other folks or (Heaven forbid I even suggest this), you are not setting it properly.

My boat came to me with a 22 lb claw anchor and it never failed to set and never let loose even in my area with reversing tidal currents over a period of several years. I upgraded to a 33 lb claw just because I could and of course, I've had the same results with it.

There is no "best" boat anchor and if the anchor you are using holds your boat reliably, there's no good reason to replace it with something "newer".
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:38 AM   #147
Veteran Member

City: Boyd, Texas
Vessel Name: Cat Daddy
Vessel Model: PDQ mv/34
I just spent a year doing the "loop" and anchored out 75 nights. I have the 35 lb. and have owned it for three years. It has been rock solid and never dragged. During the loop trip I encountered many different anchoring conditions and the Mantus always did it's job and this is with only 25' of chain and the rest nylon. I am a very satisfied customer.

Rafe
Cat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #148

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We have an 85# Mantus. It has never failed to set on the first try, usually within an anchor length. It has never dragged, although we have not tested it in high winds (over 20kts). It can take some pulling to get it out of the bottom when it's set deep, but not enough to ne a problem. I'd rather have to pull a bit than deal with a light set.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with it. We're going on an extended trip up the inland rivers next year, and expect to need to do some stern anchoring. I'll get a 25# Mantus for that purpose.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:39 AM   #149
Guru

I have a 105lber. Sets quick and has held in 50mph winds. To pull it, drive past it and pull it up
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:24 PM   #150

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Ancient thread...but I wonder if anyone has considered that a hundred pound anchor will regularly set (quickly) vs say a 35 pounder. Characteristics likely change with weight/size.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:21 PM   #151
Guru

Jeffnick,
What do you have Jeff .. a 15 pounder?

How do characteristics change w size? Reynolds number?

Or is this a size matters post?

Haven't seen you for awhile.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #152
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Ancient thread...but I wonder if anyone has considered that a hundred pound anchor will regularly set (quickly) vs say a 35 pounder. Characteristics likely change with weight/size.
I definitely think it helps with certain designs.

Once Danforth/Fortress types get big enough, things like shells, small rocks or clumps of grass aren't large enough to jam the flukes shut before it sets.

After that, I also think the shear weight of an anchor may help setting....just from being heavy enough to depress the bottom enough to start grabbing instead of sliding and picking up trash along the way...
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #153
Guru

City: East Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
.......... After that, I also think the shear weight of an anchor may help setting....just from being heavy enough to depress the bottom enough to start grabbing instead of sliding and picking up trash along the way...
And that's why I wonder about the Fortress anchors. They may be light enough to "sail" in the water on the way down. To me, it doesn't make much sense to shave several pounds off the anchor by using aluminum and still have a heavy chain attached.
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #154
Guru

Fortress actually doesn't recommend much chain because of the dynamics of that style anchor setting.

I think they are a special use anchor, and just bought one for what I have in mind.

They send you a nice letter thanking your for purchasing.... refreshing to feel like a welcome customer.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:32 PM   #155

City: Anchorage/Wrangell
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
I have used the same 45lb Mantus on two boats and it was a huge improvement over a 45lb CQR. I have anchored a Nordic 42 with it in 30 mph winds on a 4 to 1 scope and routinely anchor in lighter winds with 3 to 1 (all chain rode0. Generally, you have to at least be right over it before it will break loose and many times have to go past it. There is never a question when it sets. It's not gradual, it is almost immediate after you start backing down. It feels just like it looks in the anchor setting video thread.

Tom
tpbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:17 PM   #156

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Jeffnick,
What do you have Jeff .. a 15 pounder?
One More Time Around: Big Duck's Ground Tackle.
How do characteristics change w size?
Let's take a look at the anchors the big boys use - the Navy anchor. Isn't it just a Danforth with all the little things that would break off removed. Yet that same Navy in the proper size for my boat is absolutely useless.
Reynolds number?
I did have top look up Reynolds number, but I don't have the smarts to understand flow dynamics. But I do know from experience that when I drop my Fortress in a current it never sets because the chain hits the bottom first and the anchor skates. This may not be a problem with a Fortress of a heavier weight.
Or is this a size matters post?
Yes, this a case of size matters. The heavier the anchor - the easier it will be to set...at least from my experience.

Haven't seen you for awhile.
I quit hanging out because I'm a bit of a bottom feeder compared to most here and while I have owned a trawler, I now run a houseboat (at trawler speeds).
One More Time Around: Big Duck Goes Back to Lake Powell 2015
One More Time Around: Lake Hartwell - June 2016

Also, many of my discovered boating truisms seemed to make folks uncomfortable. I like to anchor from the stern, don't use any chain on my anchor and refuse to get involved in VHF hails.
One More Time Around: Boating - My Rules Don't Include Yours

Lastly - my approach at 70+ is way different than you young whippersnappers. My goal is a 3 to 5 year fix, not one that will make the next owner happy 20 years from now.
One More Time Around: Only The Best for Me
One More Time Around: A Battery of Confessions form an Unconventional Electron Pusher (and Puller)
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:31 PM   #157

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Rode out Hurricane Matthew in Haiti with Mantus anchor......

This sailor swears by his Mantus:

https://www.facebook.com/SailingUma/

Old 10-07-2016, 06:43 PM   #158

City: South Pasadena, FL
Smile Mantus Anchors

Thanks to everyone for their fast replies to a question that wasn't addressed online. We like to try to anchor close to bridges near Tampa Bay and when the tide is ripping, all we would do is drag the old anchor. I'm hoping that this is the answer.
Captsnook27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #159
Guru

snook what kind of bottom is near the bridge?

Sounds like you're a fisherman.

Old 10-08-2016, 06:18 AM   #160
Guru

Are any of the bridges down there in security zones like they have made many in the Northeast?

Homeland security issues.....