Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #101
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,152
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Dont think I need to modify the pulpit, there's a N43 next to us and it's not modified and it has a ronca.
Sorry…but it's Rocna, Oliver….Rocna…R..O..C..N..A….just saying'
And yes, as others have said, you wouldn't go wrong with a Rocna…or a Manson Supreme…in that order, in my view..unless you could get your hands on a suitably sized Sarca Excel, that is...
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Pete
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:51 PM   #102
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Sorry…but it's Rocna, Oliver….Rocna…R..O..C..N..A….just saying' And yes, as others have said, you wouldn't go wrong with a Rocna…or a Manson Supreme…in that order, in my view..unless you could get your hands on a suitably sized Sarca Excel, that is...
Sorry, Peter something in my head that makes me say ronca, I guess because it easier to say I really don't know but y'all get the gist
__________________

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:58 PM   #103
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,152
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Sorry, Peter something in my head that makes me say ronca, I guess because it easier to say I really don't know but y'all get the gist
You're welcome Oliver, and by the way, I was serious about seeing if you could gets Sarca Excel. You would certainly not have to modify your pulpit or roller system for that, and it is derived/evolved from one of the best roll bar type anchor makes. Getting one might not be all that hard, and you certainly would not regret it. After all, a Nordy deserves 'the best.'

SARCA in Action - anchorright.com.au
__________________
Pete
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #104
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
You're welcome Oliver, and by the way, I was serious about seeing if you could gets Sarca Excel. You would certainly not have to modify your pulpit or roller system for that, and it is derived/evolved from one of the best roll bar type anchor makes. Getting one might not be all that hard, and you certainly would not regret it. After all, a Nordy deserves 'the best.' SARCA in Action - anchorright.com.au
They look good, but shipping for an 150Lb+ anchor from down under will cost as much as the anchor itself? As for the roller, don't think I'll have to modify looking at the M/V Duet's blog they just added an roller at the other end of the pulpit, which is an N50 with identical deck hardware.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #105
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,152
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
They look good, but shipping for an 150Lb+ anchor from down under will cost as much as the anchor itself? As for the roller, don't think I'll have to modify looking at the M/V Duet's blog they just added an roller at the other end of the pulpit, which is an N50 with identical deck hardware.
Rex Francis of Anchorright has advised me that until get gets a NA distributer, he is doing a deal whereby he just charges about wholesale equivalent, so even with shipping, it comes out close to what we pay retail down under. That's not a bad deal…worth an email..?

sales@anchorright.com.au
__________________
Pete
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #106
Hospitality Officer
 
Andy G's Avatar
 
City: Pittwater
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,516
Pete, you missed your vocation, you would have made a brilliant salesman.

But N4712 ( by the way what type of identifier is that), the Sarca is definitely worth a consideration.
Andy G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #107
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,152
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
Pete, you missed your vocation, you would have made a brilliant salesman.

But N4712 ( by the way what type of identifier is that), the Sarca is definitely worth a consideration.
I think I might have ended up better off finically if I had Andy - bit late now though.

I think N4712 = Nordhavn 47 model/type, and hull number 12…is that correct Oliver..?
__________________
Pete
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #108
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Rex Francis of Anchorright has advised me that until get gets a NA distributer, he is doing a deal whereby he just charges about wholesale equivalent, so even with shipping, it comes out close to what we pay retail down under. That's not a bad deal…worth an email..? sales@anchorright.com.au
I'll shoot them an email and see. But I'd rather go with Rocna because of their existence use on nordy's around the world, but that's just me.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #109
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
I think I might have ended up better off finically if I had Andy - bit late now though. I think N4712 = Nordhavn 47 model/type, and hull number 12…is that correct Oliver..?
Correct indeed.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #110
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,611
Peter I've been swapping emails with Rex, he's going get me quote For an 88Kg Sarca Excel shipped, and well See from there.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #111
TF Site Team
 
Peter B's Avatar
 
City: Brisbane
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 6,152
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Peter I've been swapping emails with Rex, he's going get me quote For an 88Kg Sarca Excel shipped, and well See from there.
That's good Oliver. For a personal feedback from an owner of a vessel about the weight/size of yours, I suggest you PM Benn of Tidahapah, as he has two Excels, one galvanised std issue, and one which can be dismantled. The latter being a much more robust construction when assembled than the Mantus. But unless it was for a spare, like Benn has his for, who wants to be able to dismantle their main anchor anyway..?
__________________
Pete
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 PM   #112
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
That's good Oliver. For a personal feedback from an owner of a vessel about the weight/size of yours, I suggest you PM Benn of Tidahapah, as he has two Excels, one galvanised std issue, and one which can be dismantled. The latter being a much more robust construction when assembled than the Mantus. But unless it was for a spare, like Benn has his for, who wants to be able to dismantle their main anchor anyway..?
Alright, I'll shoot him an PM.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #113
Grand Vizier
 
Delfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Peter I've been swapping emails with Rex, he's going get me quote For an 88Kg Sarca Excel shipped, and well See from there.
For what it's worth, you might ask Rex what he thinks about sizing. I am a big fan of Bigger is Better, but an 88kg anchor is a few sizes larger than you probably need. By way of comparison, my 80 kg Ultra is one size larger than recommended for our 55' and we weigh nearly double what your vessel does. And hanging off our bow it looks really big.

That said, if it fits, it sure won't hurt, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
__________________
Delfin
"Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis." - Jack Handy
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:43 PM   #114
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
For what it's worth, you might ask Rex what he thinks about sizing. I am a big fan of Bigger is Better, but an 88kg anchor is a few sizes larger than you probably need. By way of comparison, my 80 kg Ultra is one size larger than recommended for our 55' and we weigh nearly double what your vessel does. And hanging off our bow it looks really big. That said, if it fits, it sure won't hurt, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.
I did, he said he as equipped boats with similar displacement, with great results.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:32 PM   #115
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,668
No doubt bigger is better BUT even a small amount over what one needs is waste. Fear of their own abilities and peer pressure coming from those that feel wise singing the bigger is better song. Easy to say w a 100% chance of being correct and easy to do for skippers that feel insecure.

Most of us really don't know what we need. It takes years of anchoring to find out. So to look for standards and observing what others are doing is a smart thing to do but I also think it's over done and most trawlers are burdened w too much ground tackle. I've heard of many talk of getting much more capable anchors but never of downsizing the hook. From the stories I've heard on this forum going from a Claw to a Rocna one should or could reduce the size of their anchor to one half the older lower performing anchor. Never even heard talk of that though. Bigger is better ............ Whatever.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #116
Guru
 
River Cruiser's Avatar
 
City: UMR MM283
Country: US
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,183
Being on the river I think the bigger is better when it comes to anchors allows me to sleep better at night. Beside the current & wind there is the occasional limb or tree that floats by. Had a tree about 6" trunk drift into the chain & the bow last year during the middle of the night. The only thing it did was scare the hell out of me but with a smaller anchor it could of been much worse. The biggest problem was getting it untangled the next morning.
__________________
Ron on Northern Lights II
I don't like making plans for the day because the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #117
Guru
 
Capthead's Avatar
 
City: Long Beach, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 947
Nobody mentions Fortress which was the best in that test. It's light and holds great.

I see cruising boats with two different anchors on the bow mostly and they store a Fortress for backup. I'm thinking the Mantus is my next choice.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #118
Guru
 
River Cruiser's Avatar
 
City: UMR MM283
Country: US
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
Nobody mentions Fortress which was the best in that test. It's light and holds great. I see cruising boats with two different anchors on the bow mostly and they store a Fortress for backup. I'm thinking the Mantus is my next choice.
FX-37 & 300' of 5/16 BBB chain, the Fortress is the best anchor I've found for the bottom conditions on the river.
__________________
Ron on Northern Lights II
I don't like making plans for the day because the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #119
Guru
 
Nomad Willy's Avatar
 
City: Concrete Washington State
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 12,668
A Fortress and nylon rode is the obvious for faster lighter boats.

I think a Fortress as a primary makes a lot of sense w a backup like a Claw or other anchor that's good in the rocks. Why not reap the rewards of all that holding power most of the time.
__________________
Eric

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 05:31 PM   #120
Moderator Emeritus
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,599
Peter and Oliver, Is there reason not to consider the Super Sarca as well as the Excel? Fitting on existing setup? Just wondering.
Bruce
__________________

__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012