Old 10-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #61
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
FF wrote;

"Would be interesting to see if the steel version broke before the aluminum copy."

Broke the metal or broke out?

Motion 30,
Yup I'm sure he was very accommodating. Is a 105lb anchor on your size boat average?

Brian,
Why don't you make steel anchors? And what is the stock for? It seems obvious but a number of Danforth types don't have stocks.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #62

City: Fort Lauderdale
FF,

The US Navy included a 90 lb Danforth H-3600 model in their 1989 test, along with the 47 lb Fortress FX-85, and these anchors are almost identical in physical size.

The sea bottom was sand/clay, and the Danforth held to 9,000 lbs and under "Reason for Test Termination," the US Navy noted: "Anchor Pulled Out - Structural Damage"

The FX-85 held to 10,200+ lbs, and under "Reason for Test Termination," they noted, "Test Stop, Anchor Held - Shank Bent on Retrieval"

Two other Danforth models were tested, the T-6000 and T-7000 of the "Deepset II" model series, and they also pulled out during their tests due to structural failure.

The Fortress models FX-55 and FX-125 were tested as well. In the same sand/clay bottom, the smaller 32 lb FX-55 pulled out at 8,800 lbs in the first test, and in a second test, it held to 10,600 lbs when they stopped the test. The 69 lb FX-125 held to 14,600 lbs when they stopped the test due to the engines overheating aboard the testing vessel.

Afterwards, the US Navy wrote this in their summary report:

"The fact that the Fortress anchors incurred no significant structural damage at such high holding ratios suggest that the anchors have been extensively engineered from both the hydrodynamic and structural standpoints."

And also:

"Under anticipated loading conditions, NAV-X (corporate name) has compensated for aluminum's susceptibility to deformations through careful structural design of their anchors."

Regards,
Brian

Fortress Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Brian, why don't you make steel anchors? And what is the stock for? It seems obvious but a number of Danforth types don't have stocks.
Eric,

Our company founder was a lifelong boater and he started Fortress is his mid-50s. Prior to that, he had an extensive career as an engineer and he owned a couple of manufacturing companies. I think that Fortress became his passion and he had no interest in manufacturing anchors out of a different material.

The stock (narrow round rod) stabilizes the anchor once it reaches the sea bottom, and then the flukes fall forward and the anchor begins to dig in and set. If the stock is shortened or eliminated, then the anchor would have a tendency to flop from side to side until one, or both, of the flukes dug in. This would be particularly noticeable if the boat was falling back quickly due to wind or current.

Regards,
Brian
Old 10-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #64
Guru

Quote:
FF wrote;

"Would be interesting to see if the steel version broke before the aluminum copy."

Broke the metal or broke out?

Motion 30,
Yup I'm sure he was very accommodating. Is a 105lb anchor on your size boat average?

Brian,
Why don't you make steel anchors? And what is the stock for? It seems obvious but a number of Danforth types don't have stocks.
My boat is 40,000lbs. I m sure I could have used one size smaller but now I will sleep better at nite
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #65
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I'm all for having a macho anchor, and I'm sure I'd be relieved to have a 100 lb. storm anchor of my choice in a big blow, but hoisting a hundred lbs. with appropriate chain is a big hoss of a weight for most cruiser windlass units. Breaking one out, lifting and carrying a hundred pounder is also considerable strain on cruiser pulpits.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #66
Guru

Thanks Brian,
I would think the Danforth anchor would would fine w/o the stock but the stability it gives must be significant as most all Danforth types have the stock.
Why is it that commercially made Danforth's are made so light? Seems to me a Danforth could be made w a stout shank and stock but they are not available and I've never seen one.

hustler,
Lots of guys carry an extra 100lbs of chain and think nothing of it. Better that 100lbs be in the anchor where it will do much more good .... and it's more macho.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #67

Quote:
Thanks Brian,
I would think the Danforth anchor would would fine w/o the stock but the stability it gives must be significant as most all Danforth types have the stock.
Why is it that commercially made Danforth's are made so light? Seems to me a Danforth could be made w a stout shank and stock but they are not available and I've never seen one.
Eric,

I checked Danforth's site and for their Hi-Tensile (H) series, they manufacture anchors from 5 to 190 lbs. Regarding the stout shank and stock, the only anchor of this type that I know of which meets this description is the US Navy Stockless anchor, and they are beastly heavy. Washington Chain & Supply, an occasional customer of ours, sells them and below is a link:

US Navy Stockless
Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 AM   #68
Guru

Brian I had no idea the Navy anchors were considered Danforth types. That would include my Dreadnought too I spoze.

The Navy has a real wide throat angle as does my Dread but the Dread has a very long shank and the Navys shank is short. The Dread is much lighter of course and therein probably lies the reason for very different shank lengths. I think of the Navy as a "buldozer" anchor and the dread in between. The one time I used the Dreadnought it set instantly. I took up the slack in the rode and "hey wer're not mov'in".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0206 copy.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	23481  

Old 10-07-2013, 11:01 AM   #69

Quote:
Brian I had no idea the Navy anchors were considered Danforth types.
Eric, I should have been more specific and said, "Pivoting fluke anchor type."

Apologies,
Brian
Old 11-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #70
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
After Christmas, were going pick up one of these mantus anchors, currently we have a 105# CQR. Or should I hold off and spend a little more for an ronca?
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:51 PM   #71
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
After Christmas, were going pick up one of these mantus anchors, currently we have a 105# CQR. Or should I hold off and spend a little more for an ronca?
We have 30kg Manson Supreme on our 52' boat, with 350' of chain. I think the CQR 1905 might be a bit overkill- I think the Rocna or Manson 30kg should be more than adequate.

I don't know much about the Mantus, but I am a bit leery of an anchor that bolts together.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
We have 30kg Manson Supreme on our 52' boat, with 350' of chain. I think the CQR 1905 might be a bit overkill- I think the Rocna or Manson 30kg should be more than adequate. I don't know much about the Mantus, but I am a bit leery of an anchor that bolts together.
Whats your displacement? Ours is 85,000. I was thinking of the Ronca 88lb, it's $100 more but probably go with it.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-28-2013, 01:08 PM   #73
Guru

Quote:
Whats your displacement? Ours is 85,000. I was thinking of the Ronca 88lb, it's $100 more but probably go with it.
Displacement is just about 80,000. We've anchored with the Manson all over Puget Sound at scopes from 3-1 to 7-1, and we've never dragged or had the anchor reset.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #74
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Displacement is just about 80,000. We've anchored with the Manson all over Puget Sound at scopes from 3-1 to 7-1, and we've never dragged or had the anchor reset.
Oh ok, I'll take a look at them. What's the bottom like where you usually anchor in the PNW? ( east coaster over here )
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #75
Guru

The bottom is good sticky mud.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #76
Veteran Member

City: Carson City
Vessel Name: Cabernet
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48 NS
48' Kadey Krogen 58,000 displacement with 112lb Rocna. I think the chain would break before the anchor would let go or drag. I would not want to be in the weather that would pull it loose. If you want to sleep at night get a Rocna one size larger than recommended.
rpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpeterson View Post
48' Kadey Krogen 58,000 displacement with 112lb Rocna. I think the chain would break before the anchor would let go or drag. I would not want to be in the weather that would pull it loose. If you want to sleep at night get a Rocna one size larger than recommended.
Yeah, we're going go with an 88lb ronca and keep the CQR as a backup.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
Old 11-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #78
Guru

Here's one of the most comprehensive anchor tests I've read. It was before the Mantis was but it covers the Rocna, Supreme and most everything else. The decision making elements are in the text .. not particularly in the graphs.

On an objective anchor test you wouldn't expect to find advertisement for one product w/o any comparable copy for the others. I think that's very bad journalism but the test seems to be one of the best out there. But I rode out two 50 knot gales with the lowest performing anchor in this test.

Pau Hana wrote "I am a bit leery of an anchor that bolts together" ...
I'm not. Just use a thread locker. Ever rode a motorcycle, flew an airplane or driv'in a car. Your life is dependent on lots of bolts. Not foolproof I'll admit but lots of other things happens to other anchors that have no bolts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MBM Club ankertest mei 2007 copy.pdf (1.97 MB, 124 views)

Old 11-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #79
Veteran Member

City: Carson City
Vessel Name: Cabernet
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48 NS
Good move. Rocna is a great anchor
rpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #80
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
My guess is the 105# CQR will be superior to the 88# Rocna you plan on buying. Weight is your best friend. Be sure your connectors are WLL rated for more than the chain. Your blue water cruising intentions will need a lot more weight than the charts indicate, probably two sizes more, making the 88# Rocna too small IMHO. My next anchor will be 45 kg, and this for a vessel 25,000 lbs less than yours.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote