Old 10-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Less Rode, Same Scope

A recent dock-side discussion was about using a bow eye for your snubber line. One boat had a stout bow eye about a foot above the waterline with a nylon line eye-spliced into it. He uses a rolling hitch to attach to his all-chain rode. This puts his anchor line effectively five feet lower than his bow roller, so if he's anchoring in 10 ft. of water (not unusual here on the East coast or in the Bahamas) 50 ft. of rode gives him a 5:1 scope. If the anchor line was running off of his bow roller, five feet higher than the bow eye,, for the same 5:1 scope he would have to pay out 75 ft. of rode. This could make a big difference for swing radius in a crowded anchorage.

dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
RE: Less Rode, Same Scope

Nordhavn's and others have used this concept for years, especially some with their bows 10' above the waterline.*But it requires a very stout eye setup, capable of matching or exceeding the breaking strength of the "weakest link" of the rode or you could have a very large hole appear unannounced. To save on 40 or 50' of chain it seems an expensive effort. Plus when looking at the geometry of the swing radii in a stiff gale, the benefits may be illusory.

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 09:48 AM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

I think of that from time to time but do'nt think I'll ever install one on my plastic boat. But if I had a metal boat I'd do it. No doubt. Many to most dinghy's wo'nt tow worth a hoot without a low placed bow eye. I'd do it not to reduce the required rode length but to make the boat behave like a lady swinging in the wind.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

The Eagle bow is 10 ft off the water, so we been using an anchor bridle that reduces the height to about 3 ft, which is a lot easier and expensive plus takes the strain off the rode/windless.* The bride goes though line chocks on each side and secured to the Samson pole.* The anchor bridle V would do the same thing?***

However, we mostly use the anchor bridle to tow the 19 ft run about as it keep the run about centered.*

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Less Rode, Same Scope

On boats that have those eyes it's a great idea. I belive the USCG requires those eyes to be able to handle 2x the weight of the boat pull...as an assistance tower..on recent model boats those eye can take enormous pull straight on...sideways they are a bit less robust.

I'm thinking of adding one to my trawler...just have to have a mega backing plate that transfers the pull to the full length of the stem.

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 26th of October 2011 04:56:43 PM
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
FF
Guru

Less Rode, Same Scope

It is a standard on sail boats with much of a bow spirit for probably hundreds of years.

The lower stay fitting would simply have an extra lower shakle, and a springy line too short to reach the prop.

It is useful , but for really best short scope results a rode rider , that is easy to handle , say 30-40 lbs (the bride can deploy & haul it) is even better.

Nothing extra to bolt on.

For about the same effort a B-moore with stern anchor does even better.

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 27th of October 2011 04:56:19 AM

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 27th of October 2011 04:57:45 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:49 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

FF...you got a better avatar pic there somewhere - I keep having horrible visions that there are flames coming outa your boat.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
Less Rode, Same Scope

Quote:
Peter B wrote:
FF...you got a better avatar pic there somewhere - I keep having horrible visions that there are flames coming outa your boat.
Those are brain flames resulting from spontaneous mental combustion resulting from FF being in the wheelhouse posting or reading in OTDE while simultaneously envisioning* another four years of our current President.
-- Edited by dwhatty on Thursday 27th of October 2011 12:13:07 PM
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
FF
Guru

Those are hanging branches from Queen Palms , that are spaced round the property.

The avatar will be different , now that the PH is rebuilt the deck over the main salon is next to get the axe.

Actually the Saws all , and a whole bunch of camber is in the cards.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote