Old 02-01-2014, 01:29 AM   #21
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
Was it SO bright that you could still see the anchoring ball?

HOLLYWOOD
The ball, the boat, other boats, and the starfish on the beach.

Well, maybe not the ball....

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:19 AM   #22
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by shufti View Post
Thanks psneeld, however my current nav/all round light sits exactly at eye level of the FB helm station.
"When underway - is there much glare from the forward facing light or is it unnoticable? "

You said glare and these are glare shields....

If at eye level, can you raise it a few feet with a linger pole as the light heads come off easy enough and the tubing is easy to get usually.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:46 AM   #23

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Wine Down
Vessel Model: Riviera 35' FB
I'd have to put quite an extension to get it up high enough for those to help, mate. The appeal of the perko light is that I can swcith off the rear bulb of the 2 bulb light when underway (I have a kosher rear white light so will still be legal). I was just wondering if there was much glare from behind when running the perko in '1 light mode'.
shufti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
I'd have to put quite an extension to get it up high enough for those to help, mate. The appeal of the perko light is that I can swcith off the rear bulb of the 2 bulb light when underway (I have a kosher rear white light so will still be legal). I was just wondering if there was much glare from behind when running the perko in '1 light mode'.
If the light is behind you (even if higher) then that's exactly what the glare shields do..they keep the light from flooding your flybridge (outside steering, foredeck, etc) with glare/light....and prevent you from being blinded by looking directly at it if you turn around.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #25
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
It's the one in the center:

There are three wires; one common (ground or negative) and one for the forward facing light and another for the rear facing light. The switching on the boat should turn the forward facing lamp on in the "Navigation Lights" position and turn both on (but not the red and green lights) in the "Anchor Light" position.

Do a web search on Perko 1184 and you'll find dozens of vendors.
The 1184 Perko llight is like the one (maybe the exact one) I'm replacing with the Attwood, when I get a round tuit. The composite fitting at the bottom has been going south for a while, so the stock is becoming more and more unstable. Shims have worked to a certain extent (so far), but it's a bit shakey.

Ours is controlled by a the three-way rocker switch: both (all-round/anchor) -- off -- forward only (steaming).

-Chris
Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 AM   #26

psneeld - I think I musn't be explaining the situation very well. I have seen (and fished from) boats with a similar glare sheild (albeit home-made) on all-round lights - they only stop glare projecting downward when the light is higher than the observer. My light is NOT higher than me - it's right in front of the helm and at eye level (not behind me). Yes, it's a bloody stupid arragement, hence me wanting to change it. A simple extension would work - but it would have to be a pretty large extension of around 2 metres or more to move the light up high enough to allow the glare sheild to work. If I could get it up high enough, glare wouldn't be an issue as the flybridge soft-top would block the glare.

My question to Wesk was more trying to find out whether [with the rear bulb switched off but the front bulb on] there is much glare from the front bulb when viewing the light from behind - is glare from the front bulb evident.

Am I making more sense now?
Old 02-01-2014, 09:28 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
psneeld - I think I musn't be explaining the situation very well. I have seen (and fished from) boats with a similar glare sheild (albeit home-made) on all-round lights - they only stop glare projecting downward when the light is higher than the observer. My light is NOT higher than me - it's right in front of the helm and at eye level (not behind me). Yes, it's a bloody stupid arragement, hence me wanting to change it. A simple extension would work - but it would have to be a pretty large extension of around 2 metres or more to move the light up high enough to allow the glare sheild to work. If I could get it up high enough, glare wouldn't be an issue as the flybridge soft-top would block the glare.

My question to Wesk was more trying to find out whether [with the rear bulb switched off but the front bulb on] there is much glare from the front bulb when viewing the light from behind - is glare from the front bulb evident.

Mine just clears the windscreen of the flybridge so it's a little below eye level. It's also in front of me so there's really no glare wwith just the forward facing light on. No shield needed.

I have a seperate stern light for when I'm underway.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #28
Guru

Here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Savannah Trip_1 019.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	27005  
Old 02-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:

Are you more than 2 meters tall???

The glare shields are also for boats with those 2 bulb Perko that were installed in hundreds of US boats right in from of the flying bridge...yes shutting off the rear bulb helps...the glare shield is supposed to stop the glare from the rails and foredeck.

I have seen it done....and there are models still available I think...lights that mount on a dash that can be raised as high as 5 or so feet above the dash (assuming there's room below to lower it that far.

If you already have a stern light (I think you posted that before) ...why not just mount a masthead light on the front of your flying bridge and just keep this as an anchor light unless you spend a lot of time on the bridge at night?
Old 02-01-2014, 04:17 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Bay Pelican has an OGM Led anchor light with photo cell. We have had this for 4 years. Every now and then the photo cell does not turn the unit on. If I were to buy another anchor light I would avoid the photo cell and rely on a manual switch.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #31

psneeld - I know you're trying to help - but your relentless insistence that I can use 'your' glare shield is becoming quite tiresome. I've tried to explain several times now that it just WILL NOT work. Please stop arguing with me about what will and won;t work on my boat - a boat you have not laid eyes on.

No offense intended - but I've said it won't work several times now yet you kep insisting it will. I"m fairly certain that Wesk has given me all the info I need to sort out my problem with the nav/all-round light. His picture in his post above is almost identical to the veiw from my helm station in the FB.

Thank you, though, for your concern about my problem. Sincerely.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #32
Guru

I have explained it's use..not whether it would work or not in your case...that's your interpretation.

Looks like my last boat, hundreds that I've seen, dozens I have operated...no the glare shield won't keep the light out of your eye...knew that from the beginning.

In that picture...they are appropriate for keeping the glare off the foredeck...not out of your eyes. That install should have the combo steaming/anchor light as did mine and most all the others I have seen or driven.

Good luck with your problem....
Old 02-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #33

Ok mate. My bad. Thanks.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:53 PM   #34
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Shufti, coming in a bit late here maybe, and it sounds like you might have solved the problem with WesK's suggestion anyway, but for mine, the better solution is having a separate forward nav light, set lower on the front of the flybridge facing, and have the eye level one which is the concern if traveling at night, reserved just for anchoring, as Psneeld mentioned in one post. Then automatically, if under way, the anchor light is off, and the forward white nav light is totally out of line of sight, which I agree, can be blinding otherwise. It should not be all that tricky to isolate which wire activates which function at the base of the pendant light fitting you have there, and separate them in the flybridge locker, so one feeds just the front nav light, and the other to the aft part of the all-round light be linked to the for'd facing part for the all-round anchor function. As you have mentioned, you already have a regulation aft facing nav light, in circuit with your red/green lights. Does that make sense..? Works for me.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:21 AM   #35
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Peter, That's how mine is rigged, too. My fwd facing white light is mounted on top of the windshield brow, well out of view from the FB or lower helm while underway.

My boat came equipped with an anchor light which telescoped out of the flybridge console to extend above the windshield. I imagine its glare was comparable to that which shufti experiences and no doubt, a glare shield would not have helped at all.

This location failed to meet regulation requiring it on the highest point once the bimini and radar mast were installed. The PO disconnected the old anchor light and installed a new one at the highest point on the radar mast, well above the heads of anyone on the FB. My disconnected light remains in place as a relic of her previous duty on the boat.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
............ This location failed to meet regulation requiring it on the highest point once the bimini and radar mast were installed. ...........
Can you post a link to that regulation please? Mine is not above the bimini and I have no mast.

It is in the factory location though.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:15 PM   #37
Guru

Rule 30 - Anchored Vessels and Vessels Aground

(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:
(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;
(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level than the light prescribed in subparagraph (i), an all-round white light.
(b) A vessel of less than 50 meters in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:40 PM   #38
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Although not clearly stated in the regs, it is implied by its function to provide an unbroken arc of light.

Anything that "breaks" the arc is disqualifying, be it a bimini upright, a radar mast of the Captain's body.

Rule 21

"All-round light" means a light showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 360 degrees.

"Masthead light" means a white light placed over the fore and aft centerline of the vessel showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 225 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on either side of the vessel, except that on a vessel of less than 12 meters in length the masthead light shall be placed as nearly as practicable to the fore and aft centerline of the vessel.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #39
TF Site Team

Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Yes, I agree, the wording is a bit ambiguous but I doubt the uprights of a bimini would interfere with the arc of visibility enough to matter, as nearly all boats in our area have their anchor lights (as do I), in under the bimini, jutting up above the windscreen/deflector. Only those boats who make their flybridge a hothouse, or oxygen tent, as FF likes to describe them, need to place the light out and above the bimini/flybridge hardtop.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:48 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
nearly all boats in our area have their anchor lights (as do I), in under the bimini, jutting up above the windscreen/deflector. Only those boats who make their flybridge a hothouse, or oxygen tent, as FF likes to describe them, need to place the light out and above the bimini/flybridge hardtop.
Peter,The IG designers in their wisdom, put the anchor light well above all else, while the elements freely pass under the bimini through the unenclosed FB. I needed a stepladder on board to fit the LED.

BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote