Laser rangefinder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baggiolini

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
Defever 44
On a whim, I brought along my golfing laser rangefinder for our weekend cruise to Stillwater cove off Pebble Beach. There are about 20 boats coming over to a tiny anchorage made smaller by mountains of kelp. Anyway, I think the laser is a magnificent tool for telling you if you are dragging or not. I shot distances to the surrounding boats on mooring balls near me and when my anchor alarm went off last night I could easily tell that we had just rotated out of the watch zone but had not drug the anchor. I'm ordering one for the boat on Monday.

Sounds like a good idea what max range do they have?
Steve W

When they first came out I thought about trying to sell them to the marine market. I decided the range was too short for marine use. I think you proved me wrong. I'll have to try one.

Sounds like a good idea what max range do they have?
Steve W

This one gets me about 280 yards on the golf course and it has to be ten years old. I'll check out the new ones when I get home to real Internet. Would be nice to have illuminated read out for night time.

Never thought to use those.Sounds like a nifty little gizmo to have aboard.I'll have to look into them.

Ihave one on board but seldom use it. My anchor drag alarm serves its purpose well. I've only used the rangefinder to keep the legal distance from restricted areas and such.

I've only used the rangefinder to keep the legal distance from restricted areas and such.

Won't always save one. Anchored over 700 feet from the reserve fleet, well beyond the 500-foot minimum distance (33CFR162.270(b)), nevertheless, security personnal via bullhorn announced "you are illegally anchored!"

img_91774_0_e8593675de9c969fc25201aec8e53d0e.jpg

Last edited:
Won't always save one. Anchored over 700 feet from the reserve fleet, well beyond the 500-foot minimum distance (33CFR162.270(b)), nevertheless, security personnal via bullhorn announced "you are illegally anchored!"

img_91776_0_e8593675de9c969fc25201aec8e53d0e.jpg
Did you answer back?

Seriously, without it you have no idea. With it, you know how far away you are but there's no good going to come from arguing with people who have guns.

Now if they had attempted to write you a citation, you could have shown them the actual distance.

Did you answer back?

Seriously, without it you have no idea. With it, you know how far away you are but there's no good going to come from arguing with people who have guns.

Now if they had attempted to write you a citation, you could have shown them the actual distance.

RADAR????? Not AS accurate as a laser rangefinder...but good enough for 500 vs 700 feet.

But correct about arguing when they have a different opinion and bigger guns.:D

Measured the distance with radar, and yes I'd have shown the screen if a fine/confiscation was imminent.

As it was, rather than dispute authority figure, just waved and raised anchor, then moved a couple miles away.

My rangefinder was intended for hunting, not golf and came from Bass Pro shop. I suppose they are about the same as far as range and accuracy.

I'm not sure why I bought it, I don't hunt. I've had it for a long time and put it on the boat because I certainly don't need it around the house.

Measured the distance with radar, and yes I'd have shown the screen if a fine/confiscation was imminent.

As it was, rather than dispute authority figure, just waved and raised anchor, then moved a couple miles away.

Good, quick thinking on both the radar and not arguing...almost never turns out better than walking away...even if it involves an anchor!:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom