Old 05-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
Kellet Saddle

We are having a flea market at our marina in a couple weeks and I was going thru some of my old gear . This came with an old sailboat I had . It's bronze and I'm keeping this . Does any one use these ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	29926  

Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
PM,
I made one out of lead weights that are used for ballast on fishing floats. It's only 12lbs. I rigged it to deploy down the line after the anchor is set.

There is one time I could have used it anchored where a 50 knot gale was forecast. I was so wrapped up in getting the anchor set hard in the best place available to me in the small anchorage w two larger craft already there I don't think I thought about the Kellet. Anchored twice that night and didn't drag. Moved because another boat dragged.

The problem I see w the Kellet is that weight on the rode has it's greatest value in keeping the shank low to reduce the angle of pull on the anchor. This helps it set. After the anchor is set the weight of the rode serves as a shock absorber but if you deploy the Kellet down a nylon rode you've already got a good shock absorber. If you attach the Kellet to the chain rode close to the anchor as you begin to deploy it will help the setting but experts have concluded that once an anchor is set in a good bottom a really big blow will pull the rode (even all chain) straight and the weight of the chain and/or Kellet probably will do little or no good regarding holding power.

So I've concluded the Kellet is not likely to be of benefit unless you have trouble setting the anchor. And all the anchors I have set dependably.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
FF
Guru

Does any one use these ?

You bet with a 40 lb lead casting and 3/8 pull up line it stops lots of surge motion , and if set long will get rid of wind wander in light airs.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:22 AM   #4
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
.... Does any one use these ?
I know it as an Alaskan sleeping pill.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:08 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
For my birthday this year Joy bought me a subscription to Woodenboat magazine . This article is in this issue . This looks like a good application for the kellet and kellet saddle .I know it's a sailboat using the mast to help kedge off ,but thought this might work on a trawler with a mast .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	49850  
Old 03-17-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
Guru

I made one using a weight on a commercial fishing float w a small mast. The weight (12lbs) was a sort of a keel under the float. Bolted it together and coated it w SikaFlex. Used two eye bolts to hold lightweight shackles that would slide down my 5/8ths nylon Brait line. I use little chain so the Kellet could be sent down close to the anchor. Never tried it though.

If you think 12lbs is small (it is) a lot of my anchors are only a few pounds more.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
These kellets can definitely help with holding, by keeping the angle of pull on the rode as low as possible. Probably more effective on a rope rode than all chain, but can be used on both. This version comes quite highly rated. I have never felt the need, but if I was ocean cruising, I would deploy one of these rather than muck around, risking the twisting and tangling of deploying two anchors in tandem, let alone two separated anchors...

Anchor Buddy - anchor weights made in New Zealand A proven anchor sentinel / kellet anchoring system
Old 03-18-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
These kellets can definitely help with holding, by keeping the angle of pull on the rode as low as possible.
I don't buy it. The vast majority of kellets are to light to do anything in a real blow. And that is when you need them.

With the correct anchor set up I think they are a waste of time.

Unless they are very heavy. And then they are a PITA to deal with. And could become a danger to those handling the anchor gear.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #9
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
My father and I were going through stuff at Sailors Exchange in St Augustine a decade ago and he found that exact same one as in the OP. He bought it for me.

I still have it, though have not had reason to use it.
menzies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
If I ever got one (and kept my shortish chain & long rope rode) its main purpose would be to keep Badger from wandering all over small anchorages during "normal" conditions.

We tend to yo-yo or boing-boing on the rope, then wander aimlessly downwind with no tension on the rode. Must frustrate the all chain folks no end...
Old 03-18-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
Guru

Like Bill says mine is too light but unlike Bill I'm buy'in it. It's obvious it's benefit is porportional to its weight and position along the rode. Rex of Anchor Right Australia personally recommended the Anchor Buddy to me ... knowing I never use more than 15' of chain.

I wonder if rode direction reversals could get the Anchor Buddy/Kellet line all tangled up?

Murray,
Yes, an increase in stability and shorter swinging would be a very good thing in small deep anchorages up north.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:19 PM   #12
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I don't buy it. The vast majority of kellets are to light to do anything in a real blow. And that is when you need them.

With the correct anchor set up I think they are a waste of time.

Unless they are very heavy. And then they are a PITA to deal with. And could become a danger to those handling the anchor gear.

I agree, if you're using a properly sized hook and scope for your boat and the style best suited to the bottom type then I see no benefit adding this.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Old 03-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
For a rope rode, I can see an advantage if one hangs a substantial weight on it, but not much for an all-chain rode which is already heavy.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:48 AM   #14
FF
Guru

"but not much for an all-chain rode which is already heavy."

Chain may be heavy but when its bar tight any assist in adding some catinary would help.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote