Old 03-01-2015, 06:50 AM   #21
FF
Guru

"Any thoughts on using " stainless wire rope on a windlass"?"

NO stretch is the hassle , which means like a tight chain 100% of shock loads are passed to the anchor system..

A snubber is simpler to rig with chain ,hard with steel cable so the windlass will need to be robust enough to anchor the boat to.

Usually the windlass is only sized to recover the anchor gear., not to anchor or pull out the buried anchor .

A Killet (weight on the cable) would help reducing shock loads , but must be set and recovered each time.

Fish guys that want to anchor and fish find a reel winch very handy , bit the crew is usually on deck working and the engine is operating

.For a cruiser out of coral areas , nylon and a bit of chain are probably the norm.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:53 AM   #22
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
I'm wondering how many on the forum use the windlass to pull the boat over the anchor when retrieving.

These were taken from 2 different articles on the Internet but there are many more!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Windlass 1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	37840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Windlass 2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	37841  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
FF,
Good points especially fishermen. But you are referring to sport fishermen but it's true of commercial fishermen too. While talking about anchoring w a commercial fisherman in Alaska he said "Eric I don't have time to anchor like that" ... referring to my talk about the kind of anchoring we all think is the norm. This comment came from a fisherman fairly new to fishing and he anchored more like how we do. Another fisherman w decades of fishing under his keel said about our "new" guy "and here comes _____ let'in out a hundred feet of rode swing'in all over the place". The real heavy anchors and chain is to keep the fish boat right above the anchor. There's quite a few fishermen in Alaska and only so many places to anchor ... and they have their favorite spots. So they tend to pull in, stop the boat and dump their rode overboard. The chain attached to their bow is vertical. Most all the time there's almost no wind so "holding power"is not even a tiny thought. Old Deckhand mentioned cable and being from Sitka I assume it's for deeper anchoring.

Marin,
Dosn't sound like your'e over setting at all. Why your anchor gets hung up and requires the boat to break it out may be beyond me. And our methods aren't much different. The biggest difference in our anchoring is ground tackle .... the chain/line issue.

Perhaps you anchor where there is enough wave action to work your anchor down deeper that has been my experience. In Alaska I almost never anchored under the influence of wave action. Perhaps that's going to be a complication of my anchoring in Washington this summer. Not worried one twit about that but I am worried about crowded anchorages. If my worry is great enough my anchoring at short scope will continue and the possibility of using all or mostly chain will increase.

But the anchor soaking from wave action is all I can think of to explain your need to break out the anchor so much. However knowing that could be an educational experience.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:52 AM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -
We always use the windlas to pull the boat up over the anchor but we do it in increments. We run the windlas until it pulls a lot of the catenary out of the chain and then stop the windlas and let the weight of the chain sinkng back to the bottom start the boat moving forward. After it's moved up some we pull up the chain with the windlas until it's lifted more off the bottom and then stop while the chain pulls the boat up some more.

Then we simply pull chain off the bottom as the boat glides forward until we're over the anchor. Then we break it out with the boat if need be and haul it up. The windlass is never subjected to much strain at all which we figure mames life easier for the gears.

Eric-- The anchor is never hung up on the bottom, it just digs itself in deep and/or hard enough to need breaking out. The couple of times we've actually had our anchor hang up on something on the bottom we've simply backed it out with the trip line and then hauled it up.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codger2 View Post
I'm wondering how many on the forum use the windlass to pull the boat over the anchor when retrieving.

These were taken from 2 different articles on the Internet but there are many more!
I always use the engine but have plenty of friends with bigger boats that use the windlass
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by funangler View Post
About 2900 dollars for the winch it operators on 12 volt and is called EZ Anchor. I'm happy with the purchase but you have to work with it's limits.
I thought hard about one of those. They even have a new model that had more capacity.

The only thig that kept me from buying it was that it wouldn't fit on my anchor pulpit and I didn't want to jethro up my boat with a huge plate beneath the windlass to make it fit.

Otherwise great looking windlass and would have bought it if it had fit!
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I have a very small boat and even smaller winch as in capstan. I pull the boat along w the capstan in spurts like Marin says but for a different reason. I pause the capstan to allow me a moment to lay the line down in the rode box to my satisfaction then pull in some more but w all line the weight of the rode dosn't help much. But it dosn't take much for my capstan to pull the catenary out of the line either. But into wind or current Chris puts the transmission into gear for a second or so at intervals to keep significant load off the capstan. The downside of my capstan is that the line tries to run over to the port side of the drum and up and over the edge of the drum. Need to align the capstan more carefully or get a saddle type drum. Probably the drum as the alignment if fixed through the bolts and holes drilled in the deck.

So in answer to the question of using the capstan or the boat engine to move the boat to a position directly over the anchor it's the capstan baring wind and/or current. My little planetary geared capstan is amazingly powerful.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #28

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I have to break out my Manson supreme most of the time. I had to do the same with the Rocna prior to that. I don't have a windlass. I do power set the anchor. Maybe its too much, but then again, what is "too much"? I sleep well at night and rarely bother to get up when I hear the wind pickup. (Now, horns sounding in the anchorage at 3am has me out of the bunk, dressed and topside like someone yelling FIRE).

Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote