Old 03-14-2015, 10:37 AM   #21
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Best anchor if you want to sleep soundly, everything else is a compromise.

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:37 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Twenty one posts and only two decisive answers.
This forum is fast becoming a joke box.
I came on this thread thinking it may be interesting to see the choices.
Nsail you are right .. it's a joke. But the OP didn't intend it that way.

Seriously,
If I could only have one forever ...
Had to hold in a bad gale.
Had to hold in a small and deep anchorage.
Had to set basically always.
Had to be fairly light.
Had to hold in soft mud.
Had to do fair in rocky bottoms.
Had to be strong.

Note what I left out of my "had to" list.

SCOTTY those cleats are VERY small.

This is not a recommendation for anybody and I'm not promoting this anchor. I post the link for general interest only.
XYZ Boat Anchor - presentation and information about the best boat anchor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71524 copy 5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	38215  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #23
Guru

XYZ I like the little hand grip probably there to right it. The short shank is going to probably work on most roller systems and that will leave a big lower lip hanging out may not be too artistic. Definitely different looking but how will it do head to head with the ugly duckling Bulwagga? Practical Sailor tested both 2003 XYZ had less holding power on that set of tests. Regarding what is my best single anchor it is whatever one I have on the bow of that particular boat and my multiple boats rarely have or had the same anchor. Most anchors if used well work well most of the time. I do believe the modern lighter weight deep digger anchors have an edge on older heavy units and are not as dependent on a lot of heavy chain. Note I am not saying the older styles will not work well, but on a pound for pound basis probably not as well as a deep digger. Eric's seven situations points out why one anchor might not suffice. If you allow me two I pick a modern spade type and a Fortress as the second. I do not own a fortress and use a al. spade to back my SS ultra up. That is mainly because I already owned the spade for 10+ years and it never failed so I did not go out and buy a fortress but if Fortress wants to send me one I would use it when appropriate. As to internet joke boxes what do you expect when you ask questions of a undisciplined anonymous unaccountable mob. There are still some gems among the chafe and there is that entertainment and venting factor for frustrated skippers who need an on water engine running fix.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 12:36 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Relax Eric, you really believe this site needs another anchor thread. Especially one hypothesizing "if you only could have one anchor". Really!
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #25
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
our 10,000 LB mooring being readied to be reset from the tug. We added about 50' of heavy chain (60 lb per link) to add weight. When we remove the spuds from the dredge, this mooring will have to hold dredge, dumpscow and tug until we are ready for sea. We will sacrifice this mooring because both of our tow wires will be attached to dredge and scow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1425680456785.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	38216   Click image for larger version

Name:	1425680084367.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	38217   Click image for larger version

Name:	1425680209793.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	38218  
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 03:32 PM   #26
Guru

Cap I'm not the OP. He's got more guts than I. Hypothesizing? Well I do like hypothesizing and think it should be a big part of forums. What's the point of discussing things if you're not going to be analytical.

eye,
Actually it's Ed right? Dosn't say in your avatar.
Yes the "handle" is a righting strut. Does the same job as the roll bar but w much less drag and is more stylish. Draggo has had difficulty at anchor tests. I know part of the why but not nearly all of it .. or even half probably. The XYZ in the pic (center) has never been tested to my knowledge. An XYZ that was very similar (that was his mud anchor) was tested and did very badly not setting. I think it was the tip. The XYZ in the bottom pic was the one that I originally had and in the Practical Sailor anchor test in April 06 it outperformed all comers including Rocna and Fortress. I rarely got the thing to set though. Sent it to the landfill in Thorne Bay when we moved south. But for some reason I bought another XYZ .. the one in the post above and in the center below. It set fine and worked well otherwise too but I sold it to an XYZ admirer in Thorne Bay. Had the shank and back fluke but Draggo would'nt sell me the SS tip. So I made my own. It worked really well even in a 50 knot gale. I thought w the wide chisel like tip it wouldn't set in anything but mud. Used it 9 or 10 times coming down the coast and it set all those times quickly and was great. Can't recommend the standard anchor as I've only used it twice. And I wouldn't recommend my chisel tip as it's very experimental.

My runner up for this thread was a big Claw. But it has a flaw IMO and I haven't used it in a blow. When you hang on an anchor in a 50 knot blow for hours it's amazing the trust that develops. I would definitely have chosen the Supreme but I haven't been w it in a gale.

On my "had to" list fitting on a bow roller wasn't there as I store the XYZ flat on deck like a Danforth. I'm not that vain about my anchors so good looking wasn't there either. And I don't care what other people have so being popular wasn't on the list. Some people buy stuff to attain image.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0259 copy 2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	38221   Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71524 copy 5.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	213.6 KB
ID:	38222  
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #27
Guru

A bit of time using the search function would show the idiocy of asking on any boating forum what the best anchor is, the humor was just the collective sigh from the folks here recalling the hundreds of pages devoted to this elusive question.

BTW it's not SCOTTY and the size of the cleats on some generic picture are not relevant, your post was a joke, right?
Old 03-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #28
Guru

Mr Davis,
Respectfully it says SCOTTYDAVIS in your avatar.

Not a joke those cleats in the pic look too small. Like cleats on a cheap boat.

"Collective sigh" yes I can relate. As I said he's got more guts than I do. I NEVER woulda started this thread. But it got me thinking about the best anchor and the XYZ was actually the third one on my list of about 6. Was actually tough narrowing it down to one. On a long trip I usually have about 6 on board. Yea I know but manyboats better than

I think the best anchor is the SARCA but it's not availible so I shoulda prolly put down Supreme. But I couldn't because I don't have enough experience w it and the same goes for the SARCA.

By the way if anybody is thinking of taking my post #26 as a recomendation (it's not) think of how proven it's not.

But to pick one anchor I found difficult.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #29
Guru

Manyboats, respectfully it is my name and my middle initial is E, really, go look!. This I know.

Regards.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #30
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Where do you put your trust? Got a picture on that one anchor?
It's not a realistic question. Do any of us have only a single anchor and rode aboard?
Old 03-14-2015, 09:22 PM   #31
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Gentlemen, thank you for your conversation and being good mates.
It was for fun. What else would you post on Friday the 13th?
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #32
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Gentlemen, thank you for your conversation and being good mates.
It was for fun. What else would you post on Friday the 13th?
Oh yeah, you'll fit right in here. When I realized it was Friday the 13th I thought it would be fun to punk the forum but couldn't figure out a sly way to do so.

Well played sir

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:35 PM   #33

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Now that would be the world's most expensive anchor.
Only if you decided to ditch the old anchor for a newer (younger) one with no barnacles attached.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:44 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I think the best anchor is the SARCA but it's not availible so I shoulda prolly put down Supreme. But I couldn't because I don't have enough experience w it and the same goes for the SARCA.
Actually, Eric, taking the OP's post at face value, (as it was not April Fool's Day, just Friday 13th), you nailed it, but I was waiting for someone else to say it because I would be regarded as too partisan actually having one of the above. (Super Sarca)

However, coming from you is much less biased, and therefore carries more weight, except that by having a really good all-round anchor, you actually don't have to carry so much weight. I still maintain it is best on the end of all chain rode though, and I all-ways will
:
Oh, and you were only wrong in one thing - they are available - they just have to be freighted to you at this point...
Old 03-15-2015, 09:29 AM   #35

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Danforth 60 h
Although not my primary, I would choose the Danforth as well!
Old 03-15-2015, 11:36 AM   #36
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Oh yeah, you'll fit right in here. When I realized it was Friday the 13th I thought it would be fun to punk the forum but couldn't figure out a sly way to do so.

Well played sir
Yesterday was Pi day... 3.1415

I should have asked the community if their preference was singles or twins.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #37
Guru

Peter B wrote;
"by having a really good all-round anchor, you actually don't have to carry so much weight"

Nice thought Peter but don't think that's true.

Really high performance anchors have flaws whereas they hold extremely well. Perhaps unbelievably well. But that's not all that a good anchor does. It most likely will be asked to attach itself to all kinds of bottom types. It's very nice to be able to veer around at any angle and stay buried. It's very nice (possibly even mandatory in the marketplace (as Anchor Right, Manson and Rocna found out)) to fit easily on the bow roller. It's nice if the anchor is good looking. Nice if it's inexpensive. Nice if it performs better than most others at all reasonable scopes .. say 3-1 to 7-1.

Light cars don't ride well. Heavy cars have poor performance. Would you like to ride in a 500lb car? Have a car w plastic windows? How would you like your boat if it weighed 4000lbs? It would consume much less fuel.

Rex sacrificed holding performance of the SARCA when he decided to go to a convex fluke but it didn't tear up the sea floor so bad and perhaps veered more stably. He put holes in the fluke to help an anchor release from being buried and shed it's load of mud from the fluke. The convex fluke and the holes in the it lowered holding power so a bigger anchor is required to keep up w the big boys (so to speak) ... more weight.

Those that DO keep up w the big boys need to buy certain boats and have certain equipment (like anchors) to be in the proper nautical circles. Some things can almost automatically put one in guru status at the marina and elsewhere.

But to build an anchor that does everything well will mean some sacrifices in design relative to holding power. IMO the best, most user friendly anchor that still has high performance is the SARCA. But it's just my opinion. The anchor hasn't been independently tested as much as others (for those of us on the other side of the world) and in other ways is sort of an unknown commodity. Can't go down to the marina, see a SARCA and address the skipper and say "hey, how do you like the anchor?"

But even though I haven't much experience w the Supreme I probably should have named it my choice on this thread.

But Peter I do think a good all-around anchor will weigh more than a specifically performance focused design. Drive a Corvette across the country? Nope .. give me a Toyota Avalon.

The XYZ anchor in the bottom pic on my post #26 was a fantastic performer. It out performed many other anchors weighing twice as much but it's setting performance was terrible.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #38
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
.....except that by having a really good all-round anchor, you actually don't have to carry so much weight.
I agree with this statement, however, I'm not a cruiser who goes a couple thousand miles (or even a couple hundred miles) in one direction and experiences all types of bottoms. All my voyages will be confined to SoCal. Santa Barbara to Catalina to San Diego to Ensenada and all points in between. A SARCA will hold sufficiently in all these areas.
(I have yet to buy one, however.)

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 01:35 PM   #39
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Yesterday was Pi day... 3.1415

I should have asked the community if their preference was singles or twins.

Pecan or Apricot?

Personally I celebrated with a slice of blueberry washed down with a Guinness Draught just to be contrarian. Sounds like the three of us shoulda kept our troublesome traps shut or PM'd about it. None of these guys will read our April 1st threads now

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 02:41 PM   #40
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Ok - I'll jump into the foray. Here is mine.

Its a 17kg (37 pound) Marsh stockless type made right here in Adelaide, Ausralia.
I'd be fairly sure there are no other active TF members that have the same go-to anchor. But they are on the bow of probably 40% of the boats around here (including most of the fishing boats)

The reason is because of the broken limestone bottom we have in the local waters. Sometimes bare limestone, sometimes weed covered, sometimes sand covered, sometimes reefy.

These anchors are able to get down through the weed or sand and grab onto the limestone ledges. An admiralty anchor also works but not as well.

You'd be surprised at the number of Sarca's I've seen on local boats that have bent tips.

I'm sure my anchor wouldn't hold very well in mud, but there isn't any around here except for one protected harbour that I know of.

Moral of the story:
The best anchor for your boat isn't necessarily the best anchor in the world. (and vice versa)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	os_stock.jpg
Views:	611
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	38243  

AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote