ideal windlass chain slipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

calimari

Veteran Member
Have a ideal windlass with a chain wildcat that the chain slips when a load is put on it. Suspect teeth are worn down . Where can I get another wildcat or can it be repaired. Thanks for any help.:blush:

Ideal is very good on service. Is the chain slipping in the wildcat or is the wildcat slipping on the winch? If the later, there is a clutch pad on some models that may need to be replaced. Have you owned the boat long enough to know that the chain is the correct size for the wildcat? More than one person has bought a used boat with the wrong chain / wildcat combination.

Ted

Is this windlass new to you? Or is the chain new? One issue may be that you have the wrong chain in it. Have you tried taking the chain off the gypsy then re-install? And how much of a "load" are you putting on it?

Ideal has excellent customer service, and will tend to try and help you trouble shoot rather than sell you something.

Edit: Wow, talk about two people thinking the same thing at the same time!

Great minds think alike. ;)

Ted

Have a ideal windlass with a chain wildcat that the chain slips when a load is put on it.

When you say "slips" what exactly are you describing? Is the chain hopping or chattering on the wildcat so that chain skips in the wildcat even though the wildcat is turning smoothly? Or is the chain firmly in the wildcat but the wildcat itself is not turning at a consistent speed?

If the former, its likely that there is a mismatch between the chain and the wildcat as others have written. This can occur even if the chain is the same "size" as the size stamped on the wildcat.

If the problem is the latter this indicates a problem with the windlass itself, perhaps a failing wildcat clutch.

IF its not installed yet ,

IDEAL will sell you the chain stopper that takes the entire load off the windlass when anchored. or breaking out the anchor.

On many boats the windless with the gypsy head lower or even with the bow roller, mine included. This equates to only 1 of the teeth firmly grabbing the chain. The higher the windless, more teeth will grab and reduce or eliminate having the chain jump a link or two. I sometimes wear a leather glove and depress the chain just ahead of the gypsy. I know this is a bad practice, but until I raise the windless it helps prevent a runaway on the chain.

You might also check your chain. If you are using 5/16 chain, the Ideal is designed for BBB and High Test. I prefer the High Test as it is lighter and has a higher working load than BBB

Back
Top Bottom