I Will Pay The $$. Which Anchor Is Best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In search of the Holy Ground Tackle (which people originally thought was a "grail")...I found it in Isle Of Hope marina near Savannah, Ga.

I doubt the guy will part with it...but the murmers all around the campfire...."it IS the best"....;)

No, I don't think so psn...that's just the Bugel anchor, praiseworthy as maybe being the mother of the roll bar concept, but subsequent designs are generally regarded as have an edge in various differing ways.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=bugel+anchor+design&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&imgil=XNmovh6amjZxyM%253A%253BWkYJo26roZOd3M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.petersmith.net.nz%25252Fboat-anchors%25252Fnew-gen-boat-anchors-explained.php&source=iu&pf=m&fir=XNmovh6amjZxyM%253A%252CWkYJo26roZOd3M%252C_&usg=__n_qq0WDZk7A0g6y8wKcaOQwof8I%3D&biw=1366&bih=707#imgrc=XNmovh6amjZxyM%3A

Take a walk around marinas near your area of operation and see what the majority of boats have hanging off the bow.

Be careful when you do this. The anchors on boats that are marina queens don't give you a good picture of what works. If you can identify boats that anchor out most of the time you will get a better picture.

Some tip offs: Well worn anchor, solar panels, wind generator.

No, I don't think so psn...that's just the Bugel anchor, praiseworthy as maybe being the mother of the roll bar concept, but subsequent designs are generally regarded as have an edge in various differing ways.

I apologize...I believe you are correct after looking closer.

My first thoughts were home made as it was so rough looking and the flukes looked like they were cut with a torch from flat steel plate....but there are enough design features that a homemade probably would have left out.

Good catch, my bad...:thumb:

"I'm partial to the SuperMAX anchors if I don't have to manually lift the weight. Have no first-hand experience with many of the other styles, so can't say its 'the best.' "

Appreciate the endorsement. There are many great anchors out there now. The decision on which anchor should be based on the conditions you intend to anchor in or could potentially anchor in. Check both the manufacturers information and specs and those of boaters you trust. Be careful about tests that do not follow the manufacturer's recommended setting procedure. Some tests are good resources but if they follow a protocol that you will never use or is suspect then they should not be your deciding factor. Choose an anchor that sets quickly in a variety of seabeds, has a large fluke area (bigger is better), and is constructed with materials that are made to last (lifetime warranty). Finally, determine if the anchor will fit your bow and set up. If not, are you willing to make the modifications to make it fit?

Steve Bedford

I received a reply to my email to the new NA Anchor Right distributor yesterday. He was very helpful. I am definitely considering purchasing a Sarca Excel from him.

I received a reply to my email to the new NA Anchor Right distributor yesterday. He was very helpful. I am definitely considering purchasing a Sarca Excel from him.

Who is the new distributor?

Last edited:
When I started this post I think most folks thought "Here we go again". But I always get new ideas and perspectives reading all the posts about anchors. Anchoring is something we all have to do whether we like it or not. It's great to everyone's input and ideas. I always learn something new.

Any hints as to when they will hit our shores?

He told me he will get his first shipment in 6-7 weeks. He quoted me about $100 CDN to ship an anchor to Tacoma. He also offered to buy me a beer if I just took the boat to Victoria and picked it up there. Just might consider that.

Dave,
I think the exchange rate is still good for us.

Well the choices expressed here are amazing in that there is an extremely wide variety.

Anchor. Votes
Excel. 5
Supreme. 5
Rocna. 4
Mantus. 3
Delta. 3
Fortress. 2
SARCA. 2
Super Max. 2
Bruce. 2
Vulcan. 1
Danforth. 1
Spade. 1
AC-14 Stockless. 1

13 anchors chosen w only 32 votes. No consensus really. A very wide varity of choices.

Last edited:
"A very wide varity of choices."

A very wide variety in boating experience.

Dave,
I think the exchange rate is still good for us.

Well the choices expressed here are amazing in that there is an extremely wide variety.

Anchor. Votes
Excel. 5
Supreme. 5
Rocna. 4
Mantus. 3
Delta. 3
Fortress. 2
SARCA. 2
Super Max. 2
Bruce. 2
Vulcan. 1
Danforth. 1
Spade. 1
AC-14 Stockless. 1

13 anchors chosen w only 32 votes. No consensus really. A very wide varity of choices.

If you look at the votes based on style of anchor recommended, there is a clear winner.

If you look at the votes based on style of anchor recommended, there is a clear winner.

??

Can you group them into categories, then? Or maybe I'm the only guy on the planet who doesn't immediately recognize the shape of each of those?

-Chris

Bill,
I think you're talking about the old and the new ... or is it the scoop and the plow? Well ..... why don't you say what you mean?

The one's w 3or more votes ..
Mantus, delta, Excel, Rocna and Supreme as "new"

And the anchors w 2 or less votes ...
Fortress, Spade, SARCA, Vulcan, Super Max, AC-14, Bruce and Danforth as "old"

Dosn't fly very well however I thought you had a point at first. What is the Spade, SARCA, Vulcan and Fortress doing in the "old" column?

I think it has more to do w what people use and have on their boat. Basically all the anchors work while normally anchoring and people recomend what works .. what they have, use and are familar with. Most of us tend to "stick to our guns" and when we chose what we have we thought it best. And we tend to go on thinking it's best. Also we tend to support our clan and our things. We support what's close to us. Most of us could afford to buy most any anchor represented here but don't intend to anchor in storms and don't think a storm will "happen to them" .... we read about those hapless people but that "won't happen to me" syndrome ... and then there's the "get around to it" problem.

So there's mostly only a vocal few that have modern anchors.

As to trying to identify a group re anchor design/type ... can't be talked about without classifying the anchors as to design type.
Danforth type
Stockless type
Scoop type
Plow type

Most fall neatly into a type. But what about the SARCA and Claw? I'd say the SARCA is more of a plow than anything else and the Claws are more of a scoop. So it really boils down to scoop and plow .... and others.

If you score anchors as to type ...
15 choose Scoop
10 choose Plow
4. Choose Other

If the vote was twice as many votes for one as the other I'd say a clear preference has been made. But 2/3rds of the vote was for Plow type anchors and it's not really close to 50/50 either. I'd say a more popular choice is for Scoop types but not by an overwhelming margin.

After more looking at my lists what does stand out is that the anchors that got 4 or more votes are all Scoop types ... the Supreme, Excel and the Rocna. ALL SCOOPS. Having made that observation I'd say the Scoop type anchor is most popular. It may be a bit of a stretch but it may indicate that the Scoop anchor is considered best by a majority.

So Bill if that's what you meant you had/have a point. But many more people would need to be involved to make much hay of it.

Oh if it isn't obvious I classified the anchors (type wise) as follows ..

Plow;
Delta, SARCA, Excel

Scoop;
Supreme, Claw, Vulcan, Mantus, Spade, Super Max and Rocna.

For "Others" perhaps "Pivoting Shank Anchors" would be a better way of identifying what is roughly called the Danforth type. You can't call them "old" as they are all still being made. However for pleasure boats very few stockless anchors are being made. But Danforth anchors are so popular they may be the most popular anchor sold. But if I had to bet large sums I'd guess the Claws would prevail. Re the "old - new" concept the Dan's are surely consideren old compared to the claw. Which of the two I'd be more likely to most often use? Danforth. But ofer 50% of others may say Claw.

Perhaps here's the greatest standout .... that there are over twice as many manufacturers making Scoop anchors as Plow types.

Last edited:
Maybe a better question would be, what anchor would you buy if you had to buy a new anchor? Many of us bought our current anchors before some of the new designs were available. I have a CQR on my current boat and it is adequate. However, I wouldn't buy another CQR to replace it. I would get something that addressed the CQRs shortcomings in my experience, which has been difficulty in setting.

Oh if it isn't obvious I classified the anchors (type wise) as follows ..

Plow;
Delta, SARCA, Excel

Scoop;
Supreme, Claw, Vulcan, Mantus, Spade, Super Max and Rocna.

I guess..

Think I'd have maybe said concave, convex, scoop (or back-hoe: SuperMAX)... and then wouldn't there be a sub-category for roll-bar vs. non-roll-bar?

I can't always remember which is which, aside from the Delta (concave?) , the roll-bar Rocna, and the back-hoe.

-Chris

I guess..

Think I'd have maybe said concave, convex, scoop (or back-hoe: SuperMAX)... and then wouldn't there be a sub-category for roll-bar vs. non-roll-bar?

I can't always remember which is which, aside from the Delta (concave?) , the roll-bar Rocna, and the back-hoe.

-Chris

Yes I like that especially the back-hoe part. Haha. All the convex anchore are plows and all the concave anchors are scoops as I classified them. Just calling them convex and concave may work as well. Roll bar or non-roll bar dosn't work as some anchors have other means of righting themselves such as the Boss and Vulcan. So IMO convex and concave is ok but roll bar as a type would need the company of more anchors than we have here on the table. Perhaps self righting would be ok grouping RB and other self righting anchors together.

Chris how would you classify all the common anchors?
Stockless isn't a good name for Navy-like anchors as most all anchors common on pleasure boats are stockless. Perhaps "Stockless Pivoting Shank" anchors is better. You can't call them pivoting shank anchors because Danforth and Fortress anchors would need to be included and they clearly aren't of the same type.

The only other types hard to classify is the Claw and SARCA. the Claw could be a type in itself along w the Max .. Perhaps. The SARCA is different as are all SARCA owners but they are convex. I remember Rex said they started w a prototype SARCA that was concave but it's clearly convex now however only slightly. So what is the XYZ? Few care but it's another anchor hard to classify and perhaps related to the SARCA. Maby that's why I like them both.

I'll make a list of anchors needing clasifying or add to yours Chris. Then we can put them into boxes. Perhaps we need a new thread?

At least the OP (Pgitug) has his answer ..........Excel.

The Supreme got as many votes but most or many feel the Supreme is flawed or possibly flawed ..... unlike the Excel. But the Excel hasn't been tested anywhere near as much as the Supreme and the Supreme has a very good record in many extensive anchor tests. Perhaps we need a poll?

Chris how would you classify all the common anchors?

Ummm....

Convex Plow (or plough)
Convex Plow with rollbar
Concave Scoop
Convex scoop with rollbar
Back-hoe :)
Pivoting with stock
Stockless pivoting

????

Something like that?

I don't always remember which anchor goes in which category, though. :)

I remember once reading one of Rex's vehement dissertations about the differences between a plough and one of his SARCA anchors. And then visually comparing pictures of his and a Delta... and not really seeing the difference.

Happened to be looking at the Mantus website today (after the question about built in U.S.) and found their sizing tool suggests a 65-lb anchor for our boat, 1640 square centimeters of fluke. Our back-hoe (about 50-lbs) is about 1850 square centimeters of fluke. I don't se a quick way to look up fluke size of a Fortress, but our FX-37 (21-lbs) probably would be starting to get on the large size.

Perhaps fluke size may be at least as useful a classification as shape... or maybe a ratio of fluke size to weight or some such... although fluke size and overall weight and obviously moving targets as anchors get larger...

-Chris

You forgot...

anchor-a.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom