Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.
DAMN, your quick FlyWright...!

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 09:11 PM   #143
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
For the NW and surrounding waters like the San Juan Is., a Danforth is about as good as it gets for an anchor assuming proper scope and chain etc. This 34 CHB I just bought has all chain with a Danforth of about 35 # weight, which should be about perfect for around here. Last summer my boy and I were up to Saddlebag Is across from Anacortes in my 26 MWB conversion anchored up in the little north cove. North wind came up about 3am and I woke up to a lot of horn honking! Thinking someone was trying to get my attention I ran up on deck and the guy next to me, from the sailing school, on both an anchor and a beach line was blasting away on the hand held horn because two, not one but two sailboats were dragging right into the cove and about to collide with everyone else! One nearly ended up on the rocks, the other was far enough out, but still had to pick up and move and eventually leave as neither could get their anchors to set and hold. Both had some type of plow. I had my 13# Danforth and it held like iron. All of which proves nothing I suppose. I wont say I have never dragged a Danforth, it does happen but for my money its still a great anchor and at this point I see no reason to change to another type.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 01:18 AM   #144
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
For the NW and surrounding waters like the San Juan Is., a Danforth is about as good as it gets for an anchor assuming proper scope and chain etc. This 34 CHB I just bought has all chain with a Danforth of about 35 # weight, which should be about perfect for around here.

I wont say I have never dragged a Danforth, it does happen but for my money its still a great anchor and at this point I see no reason to change to another type.
I don't think anyone who has used them would dispute that the Danforth is still an excellent anchor. It is my back-up anchor, even now. I think its still down there in the lazarette somewhere - we've never had to use it, actually.

They just have two drawbacks, neither insuperable. They are not a great shape for using on modern bowsprits and rollers, but they will work there, and they are vulnerable to the fluke tips becoming fouled with shells, discarded cans, plastic bags, etc. I used one exclusively back in my yachting days, but then I manually launched and retrieved, so the shape was not such an issue, but several times we dragged because of a discarded food can neatly enveloping a fluke tip. However, you usually notice that has happened before bedding down for the night, and re-set, so usually no biggie...
Old 04-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #145
Veteran Member

City: Burgess, VA
Vessel Name: No Regrets II
Vessel Model: Legacy 42 sedan cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
It was a compliment but mostly for content.
Hope you're not disapointed but I didn't consider it poetry.
"Mary had a little anchor
It's flukes weren't hardened steel
Everywhere that Mary went, yachters seem to go
One day Mary's anchor dragged and she ended up on rocks.
So Mary got a new an-chor and she likes the hook a lot."

I think I will keep my day job.
Steve Bedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #146
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Steve B
YOU're Da MAN!

Don't let this be the last of you're anchor contributions.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:40 AM   #147
Guru

The law of averages was playing hard ball with you if several times, food cans found their way to the tips of your flukes!
Old 04-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #148
Guru

I agree w 78 but Alaska isn't so covered in garbage having nothing to do w the green and tidy habits of Alaskans.
Also my Dan flukes have never found anything to impale nor have my Claws picked up a rock.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:23 PM   #149
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
The law of averages was playing hard ball with you if several times, food cans found their way to the tips of your flukes!
The occasions occurred in very tight and sheltered anchorages, in islands with really no current or significant tidal flows, and very highly populated in the summer, in the Bay Of Islands, Northern NZ, Puget. So the accumulated debris carelessly, (accidentally I'm sure), that found its way to the bottom is an accumulation of over a century at least. Certainly very unlikely elsewhere, but plenty have mentioned picking up shells, or large bunch of weed, or old plastic bags stuck on a fluke. It only takes it to happen to one of the flukes, and they skid across the bottom forever.

The last time a can fouled us does remain very vivid, because it was a time when the fouling was not immediately evident, and we had taken the dink and gone snorkelling some distance away when a boat going past called out our yacht appears to be dragging. I shot back, hauled the rode in, and there was a Heinz Baked Bean can on the damn fluke. As you can see in the pic, these anchorages are well-protected but tight, so stuff does tend to gather...we were in the wineglass shaped bay on the South Western part of Urupukapuka...lovely place though...

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...00ef62249bf6e0
Old 04-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #150
Guru

Yup Dans tend to be garbage rakes.

But we love them anyway. I have four.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:19 PM   #151
Guru

Yeah, I can see it. When I was kid we lived on a houseboat on Lake Union in Seattle. In the 50's just about everything went in the lake. Raw sewage for years, garbage, paint cans, beer cans. I know of one sailboat live aboard gent, who by some accounts probably had so many beer cans under his boat he have actually been aground on them!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #152
Veteran Member

City: Pensacola, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
I Will Pay The $$. Which Anchor Is Best?

I have a GB 36. Mostly anchor in sand in the Fl panhandle. I recently bought a Mantus 45 lb. It's a great anchor, sets immediately and holds. They have an entire system including anchor, bridle and swivel as well as other accessories.
The company is a pleasure to deal with and if you have questions they will be answered by the engineer/owner of the company that developed them. I recommend them highly.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #153

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We recently bought a Mantus 85# and their swivel. We worked directly with the owner of the company and inventor of their products (they are in our area).

We are on a trip now, and have anchored four times in mud and sand. The anchor performed flawlessly every time. It dug in and held immediately and never dragged a foot.

Could not be more satisfied.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:00 PM   #154

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Beneteau, 44, Volvo D6 Mains
Ultra
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:04 PM   #155

City: Ashland
ANCHORS AWAY and further away the better.

Been there, done that and am no better off for doing it! My old 30' Hunter sailboat loved the 33 and the 44 Bruce until our harbors filled with ell grass. The Bruce after that would hook on the bottom until pressure was applied and then bring up a 100# chunk of ocean bottom.

So after graduating to a 40' completely enclosed Silverton aft cabin, I ventured into muck and mud where no sensible mariner would think about. First with a 55# Delta....POS so I moved to bigger and better with an 88# Delta with the same miserable experiences.

Time for a modern, hi tech anchor so I then moved to an 80# Manson Supreme! SUPREME DISAPOINTMENT! OH, all anchors on my Silverton have 5/16" HT chain along with a HUGE Maxwell windlass powered with 24vdc. The windlass has the power to rip gonads off elephants!

My latest experiences with Mr. Supreme occurred at Lake Tashmo and Lagon Pond on Vineyard Haven. Both of these places have a mix of mud and a complement of ell grass. At Tashmo, I used a scope of at least 6, set the anchor with twin 454's pulling the chain until it resembled a steel rod. That sucker was meant to stay put and stay put it did until.....

Yes the wind changed from out of the E to out of the SW. I was actually watching my GPS which had formed 3/4 of a circle when the #$%^& plot changed it zigzags! The pig slipped!!!! Later in crowded conditions I reset it again with twin 454's and we slept through the night with me constantly checking the GPS.

Next afternoon we moved to Lagon Pond and caught the 3:15 bridge opening. Exciting moments with a 20+ wind blowing down the pond and 1 foot of chop along with again pleasant crowded anchoring conditions. WELL IT DIDN'T! That sucker would NOT set period!

Wifey and I searched several additional places to secure the POS to no avail. Finally we succumbed to life's luck and grabbed an unoccupied mooring for the night. Yeah, we should have searched out the owner and paid for the night but I put valor behind me and we moved to inside the town's breakwater where we were fortunate to get a mooring that would accommodate a 40' power boat.

DISGUSTED!

So I joined the Trawler forum and read positive responses pertaining to the Fortress. I was fed up! Got online with EBay and ordered an FX 55 Fortress and I just don't know what the heck else I need to do to sleep at night. Time will tell!
foggysail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:22 PM   #156
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
ANCHORS AWAY and further away the better.

Been there, done that and am no better off for doing it! My old 30' Hunter sailboat loved the 33 and the 44 Bruce until our harbors filled with ell grass. The Bruce after that would hook on the bottom until pressure was applied and then bring up a 100# chunk of ocean bottom.

So after graduating to a 40' completely enclosed Silverton aft cabin, I ventured into muck and mud where no sensible mariner would think about. First with a 55# Delta....POS so I moved to bigger and better with an 88# Delta with the same miserable experiences.

Time for a modern, hi tech anchor so I then moved to an 80# Manson Supreme! SUPREME DISAPOINTMENT! OH, all anchors on my Silverton have 5/16" HT chain along with a HUGE Maxwell windlass powered with 24vdc. The windlass has the power to rip gonads off elephants!

My latest experiences with Mr. Supreme occurred at Lake Tashmo and Lagon Pond on Vineyard Haven. Both of these places have a mix of mud and a complement of ell grass. At Tashmo, I used a scope of at least 6, set the anchor with twin 454's pulling the chain until it resembled a steel rod. That sucker was meant to stay put and stay put it did until.....

Yes the wind changed from out of the E to out of the SW. I was actually watching my GPS which had formed 3/4 of a circle when the #$%^& plot changed it zigzags! The pig slipped!!!! Later in crowded conditions I reset it again with twin 454's and we slept through the night with me constantly checking the GPS.

Next afternoon we moved to Lagon Pond and caught the 3:15 bridge opening. Exciting moments with a 20+ wind blowing down the pond and 1 foot of chop along with again pleasant crowded anchoring conditions. WELL IT DIDN'T! That sucker would NOT set period!

Wifey and I searched several additional places to secure the POS to no avail. Finally we succumbed to life's luck and grabbed an unoccupied mooring for the night. Yeah, we should have searched out the owner and paid for the night but I put valor behind me and we moved to inside the town's breakwater where we were fortunate to get a mooring that would accommodate a 40' power boat.

DISGUSTED!

So I joined the Trawler forum and read positive responses pertaining to the Fortress. I was fed up! Got online with EBay and ordered an FX 55 Fortress and I just don't know what the heck else I need to do to sleep at night. Time will tell!
Your experience sure confounds me. We have a 60# Manson Supreme on our 46' Grand Banks. I'm sure our boat weighs many pounds more than your Silverton. We have anchored with the Supreme literally hundreds of times from RI to FL and never dragged---not even once. It has never failed to set on the first try---not even once. To top it off, we have been to Lake Tashmoo with no problems there either.

I'm no anchor expert so this is just a guess. You may be setting it too hard. My practice is to lower the anchor and let the boat drift back against it little by little until I have as much scope out as I would like. I then let it sit for awhile before backing down on it gently without trying to yank it out of the seabed with my engines. Works for me, might work for you. Good luck.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #157

City: Ashland
I don't think I am setting it too hard at all. Been anchoring now since 1979. My method is always to let the anchor rest as my boat floats to pull the chain tight. Now as for pulling it hard.....I call that "setting" it must be pulled hard to bury the anchor.

There was absolutely no excuse for the ancor to pull out ANDnot immediately reset with a wind change. If you have anchored in Tashmo you should know how crowded it can get which limits anchoring. Count your good luck with the Supreme POS

Foggy
foggysail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #158

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
150 lb Manson Supreme on 13mm all chain.
2 x 80lb ploughs in reserve.

a mate with a similar sized steely has a 300lb plough as a primary and BIG chain

I had oversize ploughs on my last boat, never slept well.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:53 PM   #159
Guru

City: Westport, CT
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
I don't think I am setting it too hard at all. Been anchoring now since 1979. My method is always to let the anchor rest as my boat floats to pull the chain tight. Now as for pulling it hard.....I call that "setting" it must be pulled hard to bury the anchor.

Foggy
Well, Foggy, I've got you by 13 years in the anchoring experience department and again, I'm not the expert. I still maintain that pulling it hard is not the way to set a "modern" anchor. I believe that a gentle to moderate back down will serve you much better. These anchors bury themselves deeper and deeper over time. A hard pull defeats the design purpose IMHO. Hopefully our anchor experts will chime in.

BTW, the Fortress is a wonderful anchor although mine, and my CQR, has never gotten wet since I bought the Supreme.

I hope you can figure out what the issue so you can sleep peacefully.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:20 PM   #160
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Same... have a 60 Manson Supreme and have used deltas and bruces and plenty of danforths.....

while all may have slipped a bit once and awhile...all have held in moderate conditions as required.

not sure what the problem is....never have used much more than idle settling anchors...maybe don't pull so hard you load up the anchor before it really digs in.

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote