Old 04-06-2016, 11:08 PM   #121
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
My choice. All chain ( 5/16" HT) on the Vucan and 100' chain and 150' rope on the Fortress.
I have the same choices installed on my vessel. Except the FX55 is stowed, lonely and thus far unused.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:19 AM   #122
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
But there is only scoop and plow. Concave and convex. SARCA is convex and convex anchors are called plows.
And Bruce, Peter .. concavity or convexity are perceived by looking down on the surface ... not up underneath.
Ok Eric, have it your own way. I don't really care, but I guess that the only reason Rex maintains that the Sarcas are not plows, is because the name not only identifies the type, albeit by a misnomer in common usage, but because the name implies the way it actually works as well, which is not the case.

To take you comment (highlighted) above. Wrong. The function of an anchor requires you envisage how it enters the substrate, which is point first, then moving horizontally, not top or bottom first, and looking at it from the pointy end it is just not a plow, no matter how much you might like to call it that. It is a shape designed to dive...

The video demonstrates clearly, if you want to use plow-speak, that it is your 'scoop' type anchor that digs a huge furrow in the bottom. Does the word furrow bring to mind anything...like a plow for instance..?
Old 04-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #123

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Just make sure to have big enough chain. I was pretty impressed with this setup on a boat I toured recently.
Attached Thumbnails
chain-1232.jpg  
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:19 PM   #124
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
OK Peter,
I'll not call the SARCA a plow.
But what should it be called? Better put what type of anchor is it?
And I don't "like" to call it a plow. And definitely not putting the SARCA down.

Have you forgotten or not noticed that I choose the SARCA as the "best" anchor on this thread? Quite a few have higher holding power but none seem to be as flexible and dependable. The best anchor must rise above the others in dependability. SARCA delivers.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:23 PM   #125
Guru

Just Bob Looks like you have best anchor system going. No need for an anchor just drop a few links on the bottom and your good to go. Really makes anchor fouling a thing of the past.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #126
Guru

Apart from all other considerations, this is one case where size really does matter!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #127

You guys with your 50 lb anchors. What a joke!

Each of these links weighs 350 lbs! Now that's an anchor chain!

USN 74 - John C. Stennis.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #128
Guru

Bob,
That chain is for a ship to be sure.
Size matters and everybody knows it.
But that monstrous studded chain has nothing to do w trawlers.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:34 PM   #129

Apologies. I'm a newbie. Humor not preferred here?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:39 PM   #130
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
Apologies. I'm a newbie. Humor not preferred here?
Humor is good.
Eric said: "Size matters and everybody knows it." He got it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #131
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
OK Peter,
I'll not call the SARCA a plow.
But what should it be called? Better put what type of anchor is it?
And I don't "like" to call it a plow. And definitely not putting the SARCA down.

Have you forgotten or not noticed that I choose the SARCA as the "best" anchor on this thread? Quite a few have higher holding power but none seem to be as flexible and dependable. The best anchor must rise above the others in dependability. SARCA delivers.
Yep, I've noticed you are now a fan, and no offence meant, I was just being a bit pedantic, that's all...and I for one, would just love to think one day you'll have one, and it will be all 'Willy' ever needs

How about we just call it a Super High Holding, Single Fluke, Roll Bar Anchor..?
Nah...way too wordy. How about just Sarca..?
Old 04-15-2016, 05:38 AM   #132
FF
Guru

"How about we just call it a Super High Holding, Single Fluke, Roll Bar Anchor..?"

That sometimes works well.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 06:32 AM   #133

City: Burgess, VA
I find this fun to read. Early in this thread someone (lost track who) said something to the effect that everyone is so committed to their own anchor that even trying to label it is a challenge. This is why I do not get involved with "my anchor is better that your anchor" conversations. There are many great anchors out there for the consumer and each appeals to different people. One should be highly supportive of the anchor they use because it is important to have that confidence in your gear. I just promote the qualities of the Super MAX anchor and will not discredit another company's anchor or another consumer's anchor. It is not about which anchor is better than another. A friend on another forum has always said that it is important for the anchor and ground tackle to beat Mother Nature and not another anchor. Even some of the tests that have been done appear to distinguish one anchor from another. But the consumer has to select and anchor and setting technique that they feel comfortable in. If the test is not how you prefer to anchor nor the seabeds you prefer to anchor in then perhaps that test is not as relevant to you. It has been my experience that many anchors fail (drag, break free, or do not set easily) because of operator error more than anchor design. Each anchor has a recommended technique for setting and scope deployment. There are variations to that recommended technique but varying widely is risky. Some anchors set easier than others, if one follows the recommended technique. Some anchors hold better in some seabeds than others, if set properly. Some anchors hold better than others at varying scopes, if set properly.

Some say our anchor is a shovel, concave, front-end loader, big, and some say "ugly." Heck that is okay with me as long as it does what is supposed to and keeps boaters safe and secure. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
Steve Bedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:11 AM   #134
TF Site Team

Steve, you are so right. However, one member on here often used to quote the following..."a persons anchor never fails...until it does". The flip side being that then, and only then, do they question the integrity or performance of their particular anchor.

This saying came to me the other day as leaving my marina, I took note of the most common anchor on the various fingers nearby, including mine, and the vast majority are still using CQRs, the very anchor I dispensed with because of so many setting failures. I suspect mine was a knock off, and a worn one at that, (the shank hinge being their Achilles heel), so a you beaut new one would have set better, but I'm sure the other reason so many are still using this rather old design, recognised as tricky to set, is that out in our bay, most of the anchorages are so protected it would be seldom that boaters would be exposed to the kind of conditions which might cause their anchor to fail them. So if that's the one that came with the boat...that's what they stick with...until something happens, like happened to me...
Old 04-15-2016, 09:50 AM   #135
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
This saying came to me the other day as leaving my marina, I took note of the most common anchor on the various fingers nearby, including mine, and the vast majority are still using CQRs, the very anchor I dispensed with because of so many setting failures. I suspect mine was a knock off, and a worn one at that,
I have had my real CQR on my sailboat since I bought it. It was the anchor that came with the boat when the original owner purchased the boat. That was over a decade ago. I have never changed the anchor because it has never dragged on me. It was sized appropriately and had a 100' of chain before the nylon rode. It was difficult at times to get to set, and that annoyed me but never enough to go to the trouble of looking at new anchors.

My point is this, I think there is a lot of inertia when it comes to anchor use, at least here in the PNW where so many boats do very little anchoring or have the advantage of well protected anchorages. When I walk my own dock, I see a lot of Bruce and CQR on boats a lot older than mine. I think they simply haven't thought about the anchor enough to go out looking just as you didn't until you experienced a problem.

With my new-to-me boat, the CQR anchor is undersized so I want to get a new anchor. If it had been sized correctly, I likely wouldn't be looking at making a change, until the setting frustration reached the level equivalent to a boat buck.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #136
Guru

Steve Bedford,
You're the anchor philosopher!
Very well stated and well chosen words.
Don't think anyone's summed it up quite that well.
Especially the "beat mother nature not another anchor".

PeterB,
SARCA
That's the type of anchor it is.
A type name I thought of was a "rooftop scoop".

JustBob,
It was the "what a joke" that set me off. I'm for smaller (or lighter) is better if it works ..... but if it dosn't then bigger is better applies. I could use a 350lb studded link as a Kellet but I don't think bigger is better should go that far. And a 350lb anchor would be far better.
Oh yes .. one need not read much here to see there's plenty of humor. More is better has it's limits too.
I'll be going past you on my way to the south sound soon. Plan to anchor in Quartermaster Hbr on Vashon. Went to the summer camp there as a teenager. Camp Burton.

Use the search function re QBBL.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #137
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard, if I've missed you Mr. JB. Humor? Here????

Old 04-15-2016, 11:28 AM   #138
Veteran Member

City: Meydenbauer Bay, WA
Vessel Name: SHASA
Vessel Model: Transworld 40 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

This saying came to me the other day as leaving my marina, I took note of the most common anchor on the various fingers nearby, including mine, and the vast majority are still using CQRs, the very anchor I dispensed with because of so many setting failures. I suspect mine was a knock off, and a worn one at that, (the shank hinge being their Achilles heel).....
I'm in the same category, Peter. I have an undersized CQR knock-off that has given me a few problems getting it set. This discussion has been fun & informative, and has given me the impetus to drive over to Fisheries in Seattle to take a look at the Fortress.

Cheers
Old 04-16-2016, 11:59 AM   #139

City: Burgess, VA
"You're the anchor philosopher."

That is even more amusing. Been called many things in my life but a descriptor ending with "philosopher", never! I will take that as a compliment and maybe change my business card. (Not really).
Steve Bedford
Super MAX Anchors
Steve Bedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:09 PM   #140
Guru

It was a compliment but mostly for content.
Hope you're not disapointed but I didn't consider it poetry.