Old 04-01-2016, 11:39 PM   #41
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Thanks for the photos. Kevin, I think your anchor pulpit design has a slot. That is similar to the boat that I am likely buying. Here is a photo, not the same boat but the same design. My boat also has about a 45 lbs CQR copy on it now like this boat does.

That excel seems like it would fit.
Yep...if that was my boat, getting an Excel in place of that CQR would be my first priority...but I'm biased...I had a CQR...once...

Old 04-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #42
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Yeah, I have a real CQR on my current boat. Never have dragged an anchor once it set, but at times it can be a pain to get to set. I am looking for something that sets quickly and reliably.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:11 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
The CQR was the cruising standard for years. My observation is that it has been replaced by the new generation of anchors.

Walking the boat yards in St. Lucia and Martinique one sees hundreds of boats which anchor out almost all the time. The CQRs have disappeared and have been replaced by Rocnas, Deltas, Supremes and a couple other new anchors.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:11 AM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Hobart
Vessel Name: Theresa
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 66 LRMY
As far as size goes,when people laugh at the size (as in too big not too small)of your anchor it's getting close.
Modern spared types seem to rule the roost these days.I have had good times with the Manson Supreme however most the others are good.
I reckon something like this will stop you blowing away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_lg.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	50297  
stornoway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:18 AM   #45
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Yeah, I have a real CQR on my current boat. Never have dragged an anchor once it set, but at times it can be a pain to get to set. I am looking for something that sets quickly and reliably.
Dave, the time that decided me it had to go would have been hilarious - to any onlookers, that is - not to me. We had cruised into an anchorage on North Stradbroke Island here in Moreton Bay, called Myora, and it was about half tide, with light breeze and only a moderate tidal current. I dropped the CQR, backed up, it appeared to have set, so I put on a brew. We were sitting there enjoying, when I suddenly noticed that we were no longer opposite the same vessel we were when we first 'set' the anchor. Bugger, I said, mildly, we've dragged. Ok, no sweat, the anchorage is known to have a bit of weed on the bottom here and there, so I started the engine, up-anchored, motored slowly to the right place to drop to be clear of other boats once bedded in, but at a slightly different spot to try and avoid the weed. We had had the boat nearly 2 years at the time, and like you, by bitter experience, sort of expected to have to do the odd re-set.

Same thing happened..! My bugger became, well, a bit stronger...especially as about 6 attempts later we had still not managed a set that stuck. That was it. We up-anchored, went elsewhere, not as nice, but a sticky mud bottom where anything sticks, just by its own weight really, and I decided we didn't need a bigger boat, but we sure as hell needed a better anchor.

A few weeks later happened to be the Sanctuary Cove Boat show. I saw Rex demonstrating the Sarca, aided by a really interesting video, decided that's the anchor for me, and the rest, as they say, was history,. That was 12 years ago.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #46
FF
Guru

Cruisers can not change bottom conditions or predict the weather , so a LARGE sized (no watchfob ) will usually give the most secure O' nite anchoring.

A true storm anchor (usually stowed below ) is also required for when the weather guesser gives a warning.

We use a trip line that is secured to the crown , threaded thru the bail on a float ball, and ended with a sounding lead. Most times it will self adjust to be directly over the anchor , letting the next arrivals understand your anchor set.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #47
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
But FF when I had to buck up to a 50 knot gale I used my primary anchor (on that 1000 mile trip) that was a modified 18lb XYZ Extreme. Held fine w no perceivable dragging. To adhere to your storm anchor switch and swap I should probably have a 10lb XYZ as primary.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #48
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
FWIW, I sent the individual in Victoria that Sean referenced as a possible future Anchor Right distributor an email yesterday. I will let y'all know what I hear back. I also just sent a message directly to Anchor Right inquiring about getting a Sarca Excel to the states.

It would be nice to see Canada Metals give Steve a Vulcan to test. The price of the Vulcan looks pretty good compared to the Spade.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #49
Guru

WE replaced a CQR with a Rocna and never looked back. As with others, fit the biggest anchor your windlass will handle and plenty of chain. With a 40Kg Rocna on chain our 65K lb trawler never once dragged in even big blows. It set easily and almost immediately in most situations. One notable exception was when we attempted to anchor just off the USCG Station at Cape May. Turned out we had managed to impale a full size concrete building block on the pointed end of the Rocna!!
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #50
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
You might as well have asked which religion is best? Take a walk around marinas near your area of operation and see what the majority of boats have hanging off the bow. Here in Alaska, I have had great success with a 90lb Delta Fast Set, but it may be useless in your area. As FF said, get the biggest one your windlass will haul but don't forget to add the weight of the chain hanging down. The only anchor that's too heavy is one you can't lift.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #51
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
AT,
Fortunetly there are plenty of anchors and too many religions.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #52
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
In search of the Holy Ground Tackle (which people originally thought was a "grail")...I found it in Isle Of Hope marina near Savannah, Ga.

I doubt the guy will part with it...but the murmers all around the campfire...."it IS the best"....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160325_192636_resized_1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	50306   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160325_192645_resized_1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	50307  
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 03:24 PM   #53
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
[QUOTE=dhays;429460]Thanks for the photos. Kevin, I think your anchor pulpit design has a slot. That is similar to the boat that I am likely buying. Here is a photo, not the same boat but the same design. My boat also has about a 45 lbs CQR copy on it now like this boat does.

That excel seems like it would fit.[/

A little different angle on my Sarca Ex Cel.

http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #54
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Typical anchors here. It's hard to find current generation anchors at our marina. Maybe because they don't leave the marina. Perhaps they rarely anchor. Perhaps the anchors work fine.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #55

City: Port Charlotte FL
Vessel Name: Indian Summer
Vessel Model: Marine trader Europa 36
I had two 45 CQRS on my Island Packet 38 with 3/8 BBB and it never dragged but then went to 5/16 High test for new windlasses' that I got and it started to drag. Got a 55LB Manson and it's never dragged yet. Just my two cents.
drinkenbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #56
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Thanks WesK. When I searched for an anchor float all I found were systems to help raise small anchors without a windless on a fast boat. That didn't seem to be right. Now I know what to search for.
Self-Adjusting Anchor Buoy
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #57
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
I am looking for something that sets quickly and reliably.
Rocna.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #58
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
... I am looking for something that sets quickly and reliably.
The claw has been reliable to set quickly (and stay fixed every six-hour, 360-degree change in tidal durrent), for me, at a small fraction of the cost of a Rocna.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:43 PM   #59
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs
Vessel Name: Conchy Jac
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF 246
I'm just a gal, but ...you said only have room for one anchor on bow. that would be my first concern. I have one forward on my windlass, it's a Manson Supreme. It's the bomb and I rarely worry. BUT, have two others aboard, aside from the stern anchor and I'm way smaller than you.
Rossigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #60
Veteran Member

City: Tarpon Springs
Vessel Name: Conchy Jac
Vessel Model: Rosborough RF 246
It is the best! Love them manson's and have one. Stop in a second and I sleep well!

Rossigal is offline   Reply With Quote