How Much Chain Rode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstauffer

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Serenus
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 44
Ok, can't find a 5/16" gypsi for my old windlass, so guess I will be purchasing a new windlass chain. Question is, how much chain.

I have a 44' waterline and 50' overall Tollycraft 44 CPMY with an approximate displacement of 28000 to 30000 lbs. This boat came with only 250' of 1/4" G4 chain as the rode and a Danforth anchor. Last year, after dragging several times I invested in a new Rocna 33 (76lbs) anchor (and let's please not start another anchor forum here). Everything I can find tells me this size of boat should probably have 3/8" G4 chain (5400lbs WL). Most other Tolly's that I have seen of this size have either 5/16" or 3'8" chain. I would like to go with at least another 300' of rode and possible more as will be cruising the PNW in Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. My existing rode equals about 180lbs. If I replace it with another 250' of 3/8" chain that will be about 305 lbs (increase of 55lbs) and if I go with 300' will be 366lbs. Will this be to much additional wait in the bow? Thinking about going with 200' 3/8" chain and 100' of 5/8" 8 ply brait.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Make sure you size chain for boat and anchor capacity. As to length, that depends on where you anchor. If you're concerned about weight, add some extra weight on the bow and go for a cruise. The weight will have a lower center of gravity in the chain locker. So if it feels ok on the deck, it will be that or better in the chain locker. Some 25 or 50 pound bags of sand from a big box store should be fairly cheap, and easy to poor overboard if you don't want to keep them.

Ted

You are in the Puget sound and islands they tide swing is 12 ft, probably anchor in 20 to 50 of water. So so 12 + 50 = 62 × 3 = 200 or 60 x 5 = 300. So between 200 to 300 ft. If to much weight you could go with line/rope for some of it as you indicated.

You're adding the weight of one man by going to 300 feet of 3/8 chain. I don't think you'll notice it.

Your anchor is too small and it's the wrong kind!:D
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Actually sounds like you've planned your anchor system very well.

You're adding the weight of one man by going to 300 feet of 3/8 chain. I don't think you'll notice it. ..

We cruised the PNW including SE AK with our sailboat (43') and then with our KK42. We never used more than 280' of chain. Both boats had 3/8" G4. We never noticed the chain weight. Our KK needs ~2000 lbs/inch of immersion. Your boat displaces more so I bet you wouldn't even notice the difference.

Personally I's stay with all chain rode. An all chain windlass is easy to source and no worries about the splice or chafe if you had some rope in the mix.

Agree that all chain is usually best, but if I was concerned about weight I would go with about 75' of heavy chain, then line for the rest. Makes anchoring easier too, no worries about the gypsy etc. No bridle needed, just tie it off and done.

Chapman says "a few feet of chain".

Never had more than 15' and never dragged.

Our Nordic Tug 42 weighs in at approximately 35,000 pounds as per the Travelift, so slightly heavier, but in the ballpark.

We have the same anchor, the Rocna 33 at 73#, and have 400' of 3/8 chain. Our cruising areas are Desolation Sound and the Broughtons, plus places in between.

Generally speaking we put out anywhere from 50 - 150 feet, seldom much more. However, we were in a situation last winter where we found that our usual anchor spot in Cameleon Harbour was iced in, leaving us a very tight circle in which to anchor. Dropping 300' was required, and we were very happy to know we could have another 100' available if needed.

We've never had a hint of dragging, and feel we have a system that allows us a lot of anchoring flexibility.

You didn't mention the brand of windlass.

I would shoot for 300' of chain. Yesterday in your home waters in Liberty bay, you would have appreciated it.

Agree that all chain is usually best, but if I was concerned about weight I would go with about 75' of heavy chain, then line for the rest. Makes anchoring easier too, no worries about the gypsy etc. No bridle needed, just tie it off and done.

chain + line is really American way :banghead: you never saw that in Europe
in caribbean only US boat and Puerto-Rican boat doing that :D

300' chain look the way :thumb:

chain + line is really American way :banghead: you never saw that in Europe
in caribbean only US boat and Puerto-Rican boat doing that :D

300' chain look the way :thumb:

You can bang your head all you want. But a chain/line combination ride gives you the best combination of holding and shock absorption.

After a certain size the combination can become impractical though, I'll give you that.

Remember, just cause all the Euro trash are doing something doesn't make it right. Just kidding!

At least about the trash part. :D

Agree with Caribbean comment. Frequently anchor 35 ft plus 9 ft bow equal 44 x six calls for 250 ft plus. 35kt winds are frequent. But then we have calm and the rode drops to the bottom where line is cut by the coral and debris.

Windlass is a Maxwell Nilsson with a 1/4" chain wheel. Model VWC700 designed for a total ground tackle weight of 235 lbs. According to the manual 5/16" is the largest chain wheel made for this model. Thus am looking to replace the windlass.

You're adding the weight of one man by going to 300 feet of 3/8 chain. I don't think you'll notice it.

Your anchor is too small and it's the wrong kind!:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Actually sounds like you've planned your anchor system very well.

At 495 pounds, that's a big man.

Edit: oops, just read the original post.

My 40' sailboat has 90' of chain then a couple hundred feet of nylon rode.

You can bang your head all you want. But a chain/line combination ride gives you the best combination of holding and shock absorption.

After a certain size the combination can become impractical though, I'll give you that.

Remember, just cause all the Euro trash are doing something doesn't make it right. Just kidding!

At least about the trash part. :D

shock absorption that the weight of the chain going up and down, of course hook grab to the chain and line on cleat to not force on windlass.

today I tried on anchor 20 knots of wind hook on chain + spectra line to the cleat no chock, and like you know spectra is not extensible?

one of the problem with chain + line that dangerous for all other boat passing on front, when wind blow line going up near the surface on long way especially on shallow water...

be nice with Europe first boat on your water what Europe boat :D:D:D :lol::lol::lol:

If you plan to head up into the broughtons etc., I'd go for a minimum of 300', and preferably 400'. Anchoring in 100' of water is not uncommon. I've got 400' now and have had 375' out a couple of times. If I were doing it again I'd go for 600' and may well add another 200'.

Please remember tides. I'm in Octupus islands today, 42 feet of water at high tide.low was 31. Full moon tomorrow, so 175 feet out and 175 still in the locker.
Snubber is 7 feet below the water and we are sleeping well with 25 knots wind.

My recommendation is all chain on your primary, 300-400 should do it, but if you have the room and can handle a bit more weight, you won't regret it.

Just my opinion, and at two cents and on the net, take it for what it is.

Hoppy, that would be one fairly supersized man...are they that common over there..? Sorry, like you, couldn't resist... :D

Bunch of wise guys on this forum.
Ok here is what I meant about adding the weight of one scrawny Australian man.

The OP said his current rode weighs 180 pounds. If he goes to 300 feet of chain the rode will weigh 366 pounds. He will had added 186 pounds.

He could actually add the weight of a proper sized man, such as myself, and not notice the difference.:D

Bunch of wise guys on this forum.
Ok here is what I meant about adding the weight of one scrawny Australian man.

The OP said his current rode weighs 180 pounds. If he goes to 300 feet of chain the rode will weigh 366 pounds. He will had added 186 pounds.

He could actually add the weight of a proper sized man, such as myself, and not notice the difference.:D

Oh, I see...you were leaving the original guy on there, and adding one person. I was envisaging you taking the first guy off, and then putting one really big dude on there, so it was not too crowded on the foredeck. :nonono::socool:

There was a previous thread which discussed rope/chain versus all/chain. Perhaps seῆor NomadWilly can comment on this, but my question is, setting aside the issue of chafe of the nylon line:

Wouldn't it be more advantageous to just have a short length of extremely heavy
stud link chain (eg. 6 feet of 1" stud link) attached to the anchor, followed directly by the nylon rode?

Basically dispensing completely with the typical 1/2 boat length of "normal" size chain. It seems that wind/surge load would have to be rather high for the 60 lbs of stud link and then the anchor to be raised above horizontal.

To me, handling the 6' of chain along with the anchor, could be problematic even in the best of conditions. Our first 2 boats had a combination of chain and rope. Our last 2 have had all chain. If there is a next boat, unless it's less than 25', it will have all chain.

shock absorption that the weight of the chain going up and down, of course hook grab to the chain and line on cleat to not force on windlass.

today I tried on anchor 20 knots of wind hook on chain + spectra line to the cleat no chock, and like you know spectra is not extensible?

one of the problem with chain + line that dangerous for all other boat passing on front, when wind blow line going up near the surface on long way especially on shallow water...

be nice with Europe first boat on your water what Europe boat :D:D:D :lol::lol::lol:

Once the chain come bar tight there is no more centenary effect.

As to boats picking up your anchor, sure it can happen but it's pretty rare. Except where you are with all the charters I guess. :D

The first boats in US waters were Indian canoes. :socool:

Please remember tides. I'm in Octupus islands today, 42 feet of water at high tide.low was 31. Full moon tomorrow, so 175 feet out and 175 still in the locker.
Snubber is 7 feet below the water and we are sleeping well with 25 knots wind.

My recommendation is all chain on your primary, 300-400 should do it, but if you have the room and can handle a bit more weight, you won't regret it.

Just my opinion, and at two cents and on the net, take it for what it is.

Octupus Is. should'nt have any fetch so why the snubber? Are you sailing and thus jerking on the line?

101 TUG wrote;
"chain + line is really American way :banghead: you never saw that in Europe
in caribbean only US boat and Puerto-Rican boat doing that :D"

Combination rode only popular in the US? That's a new one on me but I'm not well traveled. The rest of the world should come out of the dark ages and take advantage of nylon line.

I think handling is the reason people use all chain and of course the advantage of looking like an old salt .. chain does have that advantage. But convenience probably rules. One kind of rode, one gypsy to match the chain and it's simple. roll it out .... roll it in. But if you have heavy chain and lots of it along w very frequent salt spray on your PH windows don't blame it on the boat design, flare ect. Look in the chain locker.

Bill wrote;
"Once the chain come bar tight there is no more centenary effect."

There's been lots of talk about that over the years but I don't put much stock in it.
First of all the catenary would be closer to the anchor and not visible. The catenary is not a linear arc. The chain droops like a hockey stick. It would take a lot more than wind to straighten out a chain rode. IMO. But I'm not supporting all chain. IMO catenary is mostly beneficial setting the anchor. A level pull on the anchor is important then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom