Old 09-05-2016, 07:45 AM   #1
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
How Many Anchors?

If you cruise up and down the east coast of the US for six months during the summer, how many anchors should you have aboard?
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
If you are anchor'd out and you loose your anchor when you get under way (generally because it gets hung up and you cannot retreive it) how will you deal with the situation???

In most locations on the eastern seaboard I'm betting that you'd go to a harbor or marina that night, so replacement would not be an emergency.

We (in Alaska) boat in areas that sometimes it might be very unplesant or difficult to get to a place to dock the boat for the night, so we carry a spare anchor, and spare rode.

That said in 15 years and many hundreds if not thousands of times dropping the hook, I've lost one anchor and it was due to a windlass failing so a spare wouldn't have helped anyway.

based on all that I'd say that you have little need to carry an extra anchor.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:07 AM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Minimum one.

I use the same type all the way from the Chesapeake to Fort Myers. I have a second as a back up, not for different bottoms. Have a third which is also for the dingy, when I need to limit stern swing.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I would never cruise with less than two.

You might have to cut one free and have to anchor again prior to getting anyplace, particularly for single engine boats.

I am with the working anchor on the pulpit and big fortress at the ready at the stern crowd.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:22 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We carry 3; our main anchor plus a close equivalent (spare/backup) and then a small Danforth type to use as a stern anchor to keep us from swinging if needed.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:45 AM   #6
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
If you cruise up and down the east coast of the US for six months during the summer, how many anchors should you have aboard?
Two mains of different types/styles and perhaps one set up for a stern anchor.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
Guru

City: New England and Canada to Florida
Vessel Name: Tadhana
Vessel Model: Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
I would always recommend at least two anchors. In decades of cruising and thousands of anchorings along the east coast (Maine to Key West and Punta Gorda), we have not yet lost an anchor. IF we did we, I would like to know I had another immediately ready. We primarily use a 44# Manson, and have a 44# Bruce in the starboard side anchor locker with its own separate rode. We have a smaller Fortress at the stern, but have never used that one.
tadhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:31 AM   #8
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
We carry two, a SuperMAX on the bow and a (big-ish) Fortress, usually dismantled and stowed.

I'd likely carry one more on the bow different style from MAX and Fortress, if I had an easy/elegant way to mount another roller. This as a faster hot spare, and also in case different substrate encountered along the way rears it's ugly head. OTOH, so far we've never been faced with substrate the MAX won't grab in.

-Chris
Old 09-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The minimum number of anchors is at least ten. Of course I sell anchors.
Seriously two anchors and two rodes should be plenty. I have three anchors but I don't think I've ever used either of the backups.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Has anyone had a Super Max, Ultra, Rocna or Excel that failed to grab and you had to pull it in and drop your "more suitable" spare? Me, never.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Our boat came with a small 7.5kg Lewmar Claw, so we promptly got a new 10kg for regular use. The smaller anchor has only been used once upwind in gusty conditions (off the midship cleat) to keep Badger aligned with the bow anchor and a stern tie.

Will have a third, larger anchor and much longer rode to anchor during winter in water up to 100' deep. (Some bays are very small with fast drop offs which limit swinging radius, and can freeze over close to shore where creeks and/or rivers enter the bay).

Three seems a safe minimum...
Old 09-05-2016, 10:59 AM   #12
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Has anyone had a Super Max, Ultra, Rocna or Excel that failed to grab and you had to pull it in and drop your "more suitable" spare? Me, never.
Manson Supreme 60#--never had to use a different anchor. We anchor from CT to FL.

New Rocna, not yet used. Will be anchoring from CT to FL with this anchor beginning 9/16.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I have a total of 11 anchors but at this time only carrying 4 aboard.

The working anchor is a modified 15 lb Manson Supreme w the roll bar removed and picket fence like structure on top of the shank. It works much like the Boss and Vulcan. The objective for the mod was to keep the anchor in the (laying on it's side) setting position while being deployed and insurance that it can't flop over on it's "back". The roll bar I thought reduced penetration and holding power. Time will tell how well it works.

My "storm" anchor (kept on the foredeck) is a modified 18lb XYZ Extreme. It has a different toe than usual .. a wide 4" chisel shaped removable toe. This anchor I used in a gale of at lest 50 knots. Two sets as we needed to move the boat in the night. Could hardly stand on deck. No dragging at all on either set.

I have 4 Danforth types. 13, 18, 22 and 35 lbs. the 13 came w the boat when we bought her and originally from Willard in 1974. It's been very dependable. The 35 lb was made by a salvage co, is all welded and heavy duty. The 22 has forged flukes and shank. Haven't used the 22 or 18.

The Claws are 33 and 22 lbs. the 33 a Lewmar and the 22 a "no name". I like the 22 and haven't used the 33.

One 35 lb Dreadnought. Only used once. Fastest setting anchor I've ever set. Started to back down and discovered it was hooked solid.

Two Northill. One is quite small (6lbs ?) and the other is a foldable SS flying boat anchor.

On the boat now is the mod Supreme (working), the XYZ, the 22 Claw and the trusty 13 lb Dan.

T
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2093 copy 2.jpg   DSCF0259 copy 5.jpg   DSCF0206 copy 3.jpg   DSCF1598 copy 2.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #14
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Old schools was two different type of anchors, usually a danforth for soft bottoms and a QCR for rocky and weed bottoms. When we bought the eagle, 21 years ago, it had a danforth and QCR main anchors and a smaller danforth for a stern anchor. When we started mooring on the commercial docks most commercials had a Fordjord. The Fordjord is now the primary anchor.

Several years ago there where several long discussions about the new improved anchors, so I walk the marina looking at the anchors on 50+ foot boats. I noticed the new improved anchors had two common feature, the angle of the shank was 45+ degrees before it started to pull the anchor up out, and the edge and tip where thin and sharp. Both features would allow for a shorted rode, and a quicker set. So I changed the shank angle to 45 degrees and sharpened the edge and point.

Being old school two different types of anchors and a third for backup stern.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:16 PM   #15
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Three, Fortress FX-23, Rocna Vulcan 44 lb and a Northhill 20-R ( 44 lbs ) storm anchor in the forward pilothouse locker.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:41 PM   #16
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I am a two anchor/two rode guy also. My primary is a 15K Rocna and my backup is a 10K Rocna (never been wet yet). Primary anchor line is 45' of 5/16" chain on 600' of 5/8" nylon, secondary is 20' of 5/15" chain on 400' of 5/8" nylon, so both are compatible with my windlass.

I go way too far out to get back in a day at 7 knots, and am almost always single handing. Marinas are non existent, and most of the anchorages are fairly deep. I also carry scuba gear on board so recovering the anchor by diving is an option if it hangs up and I am in less than 150' of water.

We have major tide swings here so an anchor that resets well after a tide shift is critical. I never did have my 20H Danforth unhook with my last boat but I didn't go where I do now and my anchorages are deeper. The Rocna tolerates shorter scope better than the Danforth did.
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #17
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We carry a Mantus 85# as primary and Fortress FX 37 as backup and stern anchor. The Mantus so far has set 100% of the time, first try. Fortress is perfect as a stern anchor. Easy to deploy from the dinghy.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 01:03 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We carry 3; our main anchor plus a close equivalent (spare/backup) and then a small Danforth type to use as a stern anchor to keep us from swinging if needed.
Almost equivalent, Rocna, Bruce then smaller Danforth for the stern.

I have been with boats that have lost the anchor and had to use a spare.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #19
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

Of those, SuperMAX for us... and never.

-Chris
Old 09-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #20
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Would normally just have two but since I replaced my bent one with a lighter 22-H Dan, I figured no point in throwing the other heavier Dan away, so I lashed it to the aft cabin rail for a storm anchor. I know it did hold like iron once!
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote