How to calculate scope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shrew,
I’ve anchored at 2-1 in benign weather quite a few times. Never in wind over 10 knots though. And 3-1 is my regular scope.
Go through Steve’s Vids and see how well anchors do at 2-1. Many even take quite a load.

I'm not sure it matters. The poster I was referring too thought he was at 2.5:1 and wasn't, and dragged. You state you anchor at 2:1 in less than 10 kts, which is fine, but 3:1 is regular. I'm not arguing that.

IMHO there are a few reasons why I don't do that:

1) I don't anchor for hours, I anchor for days. Thunderstorms are a daily reality and it never stays calm for that long, even if there are no thunderstorms.

2) I anchor in tight anchorages. If I were to short scope, someone would anchor behind me close enough to prevent me from paying out more scope if/when the weather turns.

I'm not arguing that 3:1 is insufficient. I'm arguing that that would be my minimum and 2.14:1 is too short.

Seenor Eric

I really can’t remember exactly but the place I went to is one that I haven’t found an anchor that will hold there so I would guess 6:1. Just wanted to see if the Spade might be a miracle anchor. Nope.

Thanks

Bigsfish, I am curious where "that place" is. We've anchored any number of places in your general neck of the woods, thus the curiosity.

George

The area is bayside Elliot Key, just off the wood dock in approx 6 feet of water and inside the no wake buoys. There is a very small amount of sand (2 or so inches) and then limestone. Move further out or further south and the holding is much improved. Boats have anchored there so much the Botton is scoured from many years of boats anchoring there plus a tidal flow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom