On the Hook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KJ

El Capitan
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Chung Hwa 46 LRC
What was the longest continuous time that you have spent on the hook (not including harbors)?* No refueling, reprovisioning, or docking at all.**When and where?*How long did you prepare*before going?* How/what did you provision? What else did you allow for?***KJ*

Overnight (whoopdy-doo).

Not a realistic question as most folks go places to visit, not to be a hermit.

Perhaps after the nuke in space blast folks with no electronics WILL stay in place for a month or a year or two.

Visiting the Carib, ( 5 months) we would go from island to island and would buy almost nothing , but a dinner out or a fresh caught fish , or ice cream dockside was too hard to resist.

Same in the Bahamas , (3 months) local fresh fruit, lobster and Conc are hard to avoid.With better freezer our ice cream was better than the local stuff.

Money is usually the reason for extreme endurance desitements.

In the Bahamas there is a 40% import tax , so purchases in the states are better than locally far more expensive purchases , for the same stuff.

Lamb from NZ and many cookies from GB were cheap , due to some taxing advantages of other "EX Crown" colonies.

-- Edited by FF on Saturday 18th of December 2010 05:52:08 AM

I assume you ask about cruising and anchoring overnight, rather than sitting in one spot anchored.* We have no generator, so 3 days in one spot is about max on electrical capacity.

Our little boat can go up to about two weeks without hitting the fuel dock or reprovisioning.* Having a watermaker makes a big difference.* If we're cruising where fishing is not very productive, like Lake Powell, it takes more food planning to last two weeks.

In the PNW, we often stop in sooner because we want to top up fuel, water or fresh vegetables before the next leg of a trip, or even just to take a long walk.* We probably average 4-7 days between marina stops.

-- Edited by RCook on Saturday 18th of December 2010 07:52:31 AM

Pur (now Katadyn) Power Survivor 40E.* Small and light, as befits our small boat.* We're very* frugal in FW use, so we can take one Navy shower per day, wash dishes, etc. for many days without adding dock water.

Wish I had gone with an 80E, but it works for us.* The 40E produces 1.5 gal/hr, the 80E twice that.

-- Edited by RCook on Saturday 18th of December 2010 01:27:56 PM

We have gone for 3 to 4 days at a time, but you can not tell anybody as it will ruin my reputations as a Dock Queen.
bleh.gif

Since we live on the boat we did not have to pack/store anything extra as I shop once a week, we carry 200 gallons, 600 gallons of diesel, have a gen set, inverter with three 8-D batteries, Webasto boiler heat, a 50 gallon holding tank and Microphor, DirecTV, Verizon broad band, two dinks/run about/kayaks, sleep 8 adults plus children, and all the comforts of land. *We did make several dink trips to shore to let the grandchildren run off some of their energy, be for the drove us crazier than what we are.
hmm.gif

We are setting up the boat so we could go for weeks, maybe a month at a time as we head north to Alaska/Canada.* I dont think I could go a month with out *SHOPPING.
biggrin.gif

KJ wrote:

What was the longest continuous time that you have spent on the hook (not including harbors)?* No refueling, reprovisioning, or docking at all.**When and where?*How long did you prepare*before going?* How/what did you provision? What else did you allow for?***KJ*
Probably three days and two nights.* That would be on a trip somewhere.* On the move for up to eight or nine hours, then anchored overnight.* We haven't taken any trips longer than three days each way so far.

We freeze what we can and it helps to keep the rest of the food cold.* We have a refrigerator, propane range, and microwave.* We carry canned vegetables, dry noodles, rice, etc.

Larger grocery stores carry prepared microwavable meals, entres, and side dishes that don't have to be refrigerated.* Some are awfull, but many are surprisigly good.* I suggest trying some at home to see what you like and what you don't.

Our trips usally have a destination so once we get there, it's stay in a marina or at a city dock and eat at restaurants much of the time.* We have never had to make a grocery store run, but ice can be a problem.

KJ wrote:

What was the longest continuous time that you have spent on the hook (not including harbors)?* No refueling, reprovisioning, or docking at all.**When and where?*How long did you prepare*before going?* How/what did you provision? What else did you allow for?***KJ
About a week... not including passages. When the fresh vegie's and icecream are gone the party is over!. longest time anchored in one spot was a month while in mexico... the chain came up almost polished from dragging around in the fine sand with zero mud!
HOLLYWOOD

FF

What part of this question do you consider to be not "realistic"?
I'm sure there are plenty of folks that go out to remote places for extended periods of time and don't consider themselves "hermits".* I'm just trying to get a idea of what*cruising folks do for more than a weekend away from the slip.* Thanks for your info on cruising the Carib,*very helpful.**I was in the Bahamas last month diving and couldn't believe the prices at the local market ($8 for a box of cereal).* Do the customs (Bahamian) people hassle you about goods that you bring over from the States?**** KJ

-- Edited by KJ on Saturday 18th of December 2010 10:50:47 AM

So far three days, I think. Maybe four once, out at our property in the San Juans. We didn't do anything special in preparation for this. although we did deploy the anchor trip line. However we often do this, so even that wasn't anything special.

We have a generator and so tend to run that for an hour in the morning on the days we aren't moving the boat to heat water (the hot water lasts all day) and throw a charge back into the house battery bank.* Our stove/oven is propane.* I wish the boat had a propane refrigerator like CC's boat did, but it has the standard AC/DC unit.

We have gone as much as two and a half weeks on a cruise without replenishing the boat, particularly with regards to water. We carry 170 gallons of potable water and that lasts a long time. We generally keep about two weeks worth of food on the boat at all times (canned, packaged). When we take a planned cruise my wife (and our guests if we have any) do something of a meal plan and so purchase fresh items along the way. Since we take our longer cruises in Canada, there are restrictions on what we can legally bring into the country, so we generally plan for a "food stop" early in the trip, usually Ganges or Sidney.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 18th of December 2010 12:59:47 PM

3 nights in the Bahamas. 4 grand children on board.* They had a wonderful time swimming and running the dinghy to the beach and exploring.* As Jimmy Buffet sang, "One particular harbor where the children played on the shore each day and all was safe within".

Prior to relocating to the PNW earlier this year we cruised extensivly thruout Alaska and Northern B.C. When we were home ported out of Seward, Ak.*we would regularly stay on the hook for 2-3 weeks. Our boat holds 350 gallons of water with a range exceeding 1000 miles. Besides our water tanks we normally kept 8-10 cases of bottled water and soda*aboard. The freezer will easly hold a months worth of frozen supplies. We were always able to provide ourselves with lots of fresh sea food but after a while we always seemed to run out of booze. Once we traded fresh water for wine as well as a bunch of fresh halibut for drinks.*My first mate "Anne" is an expert on provisioning the boat for extended times, I do ok on keeping the boat running.

Rob and Anne
"Lady Anne" Willard 40 PH
La Conner, Wa.

Once did 2 weeks without having to go get fresh water. Everything else lasts longer. Some places for fresh milk or lettuce were a dinghy ride away. Fuel lasts the whole 3 week holidays, freezer holds enough food, the lazarette is big enough for garbage, and can get rid of some when going for fresh milk. Batteries survive well on 1 hr gen time in the am every day plus one hr ein the evening every second day.

We were out last summer for 2 months. About 1/2 to 2/3 of the time we were at anchor but usually only for two to four days at a time. Then we must make a utility run.

Food can sometimes be a problem, 32' boat, limited storage and fridge and early enough in the season that the marina stores in the area, Broughtons, aren't really set up for the season for the first month.
We carry 100gal water and enough fuel for about 500 miles safely so that 's not a serious limitation.

And of couse I like to move about.

It also helps that I finally got my anchor gear suited up, the winch repaired and me working better so we could anchor this year.

" Do the customs (Bahamian) people hassle you about goods that you bring over from the States? "

Not in the least , but they might get nasty if you sold it instead of ate it.

AS an ex Brit area they are very sensitive about guns , but do allow one to enter with whatever you have. They actually may count the ammo during your cruise , to see if the on board quantities match the inbound declaration. So no target shooting!

"What part of this question do you consider to be not "realistic"?"

AS I read the question it seemed NO SHORE contact was the question.

Fully able to not need shore contact is normal, but most folks do like to take a walk.

For most cruisers its the water supply that is the limit .
WE got 3 months out of ours (200G) by starting with RO water , from the dock in FL and taking 2 5g Solar showers to shore to fill with local water,UGH!!! not really drinkable . but fine for showers.

Most inshore cruisers will have little problem ,we normally run the ditch** LI Sound (eastern ICW) with no tieups till FL south of Port Orange , but stops for fresh fruit vegis , and water . Of course a FREE tieup like Elizabeth City* (good local hardware store , but pricy tourist resturants) is not passed up.

-- Edited by FF on Sunday 19th of December 2010 06:08:17 AM

most we've anchored out is 5 nights I think, maybe 6. We weren't hermits though....had our kayak and sailing dingy we played in, as well as our jetski, etc. We usually anchor out the week of 4th of July and raft up with friends, etc. so a fun week. I LOVE anchoring out and being away from the dock!!

KJ wrote:

In 2003 we spent*2+ months travelling and at anchor*on our last boat* when we crossed the Indian Ocean and stopped at the Chagos.* About as remote as we've been.* Last year we spent six plus months in Mexico without going into a marina but we anchored in a harbors occasionally.*

We keep an inventory of dry goods.* We know our usage on toilet paper,*very important.* We fish a lot so that helps.* We use ultra pasteurized milk but keep powdered milk as a back up.* We buy unrefrigerated eggs.* They*can last over 2 months with care.* Comfort foods such as brownie mixes and cookies are something that are always nice to have.* A lot has been written and everyone has their own little tricks.***

Where are you planning on going?* It is getting harder and harder to get remote.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Isla Grande, Guerrero, MX

From the posts, it's pretty obvious that someone with a larger boat can stay "self contained" for longer periods. You have to consider the storage space and water and battery capacity of the boat. Of course, if you can teach your crew and guests how to conserve water and power, you can stay longer in the same boat. Running the water while you wash the dishes or brush your teeth is a good example of how not to conserve water!*
no.gif

Larry, Was your previous boat sail or power? Sounds like fun to me!

rwidman wrote:

Of course, if you can teach your crew and guests how to conserve water and power, you can stay longer in the same boat. Running the water while you wash the dishes or brush your teeth is a good example of how not to conserve water!*
no.gif
If you don"t get carried away with conservation* I read where one couple on a sailboat in the Carribean chewed out their guests for washing the backs of dinner plates* They realized that then*they had gotten a little over the top!

Woodsong wrote:

Larry, Was your previous boat sail or power? Sounds like fun to me!
It was sailboat, a*Slocum 43.* We lived and cruised on her for 10 years.**And it was fun.* Thanks for asking.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Isla Grande, Guerrero, MX

Moonstruck wrote:

rwidman wrote:

Of course, if you can teach your crew and guests how to conserve water and power, you can stay longer in the same boat. Running the water while you wash the dishes or brush your teeth is a good example of how not to conserve water!*
no.gif
If you don"t get carried away with conservation* I read where one couple on a sailboat in the Carribean chewed out their guests for washing the backs of dinner plates* They realized that then*they had gotten a little over the top!

Since the sink on my boat looks like the sink at home and water comes out when you operate the handle, it's a little difficult for some folks to realize that there's a limited supply of water and it will eventually run out.* It's possible to wipe each plate, pot, etc. with a paper towel, and then use a minimal amount of detergent and water to finish the job.* At least that's how I look at it.*

I figure if I say anything, the response will be "Do you want to wash them yourself?"

-- Edited by rwidman on Sunday 19th of December 2010 09:12:41 AM

FF wrote:

For most cruisers its the water supply that is the limit .*

I know that for long periods away from a fresh water source that some folks (mostly sailboats) will use a rain catchment system to replenish their supply (mostly in the tropics).* I have read that as long as the rain is coming in from the water (ocean)*and not the land, that it should be ok to consume. *It doesn't sound like rain water is used by many of you folks to replenish your tanks.* Any particular reason?*** KJ****

Who does dishes when paper/plastic work.* If it can not be prepared and eaten out of the same container in under 5 minutes its to complex and messy.* We have not washed dishes, turned of the stove/oven for 5 plus years.* Our electric water pump has a low PSI, and it makes a lot of noise so I can hear it.* There is nothing that can not be done in 15 seconds, except a shower which should take a couple of minutes.* A small water heater fixes that problem. **After years of living a board you lean to conserve.*

Many long range boats have trash compactors as standard equipment.*

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Sunday 19th of December 2010 09:50:13 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Sunday 19th of December 2010 09:51:26 AM

Phil Fill wrote:

Who does dishes when paper/plastic work.* If it can not be prepared and eaten out of the same container in under 5 minutes its to complex and messy.* We have not washed dishes, turned of the stove/oven for 5 plus years....

*You're kidding, right?

-- Edited by Larry M on Sunday 19th of December 2010 09:57:15 AM

Phil Fill wrote:Who does dishes when paper/plastic work.

After years of living a board you lean to conserve.*

We enjoy the "luxury" of eating off our K Mart matched set of white tableware.*And dollar store*utensils.* *Paper plates sag and drop food, are difficult to cut (steak and such) on, and tend to bolow over or into the water if there's any wind.* Plastic utensils?*
disbelief.gif

And pots and pans are going to get dirty if you cook food.* If nothing else, I have to wash the coffee maker and cup.

Conserving is one thing, living like a hermit is another.* I have a nice home to go to, spending time on my boat is a luxury for me.* It's my "second home".

BTW: I don't think using "throw away" plates and utensils is really "conserving".* At least it's not environmentally friendly.

-- Edited by rwidman on Sunday 19th of December 2010 10:22:11 AM

-- Edited by rwidman on Sunday 19th of December 2010 10:27:39 AM

KJ wrote:

FF wrote:

For most cruisers its the water supply that is the limit .*

I know that for long periods away from a fresh water source that some folks (mostly sailboats) will use a rain catchment system to replenish their supply (mostly in the tropics).* I have read that as long as the rain is coming in from the water (ocean)*and not the land, that it should be ok to consume. *It doesn't sound like rain water is used by many of you folks to replenish your tanks.* Any particular reason?*** KJ****

If you're not on the ocean, that wouldn't work so well.* Every surface that collects the water would have to be very clean at all times.* How about bird droppings?

We have a wide variety of boats here, also a wide variety of boat uses and lifestyles.* What may be standard proceedure for some would not begin to work for others.

From what I understand most catchment systems are kept pretty*clean and it's generally excepted that you let it rain for about 15 minutes before collecting any water*to rinse off surfaces, and clean stuff out of the air. *A lot of the systems have double filters that keep*the bad stuff out of the*tanks. Some folks will*just fill up a bunch of 5 gal jugs for non consuming purposes.* A couple of folks have written that they have crossed the big blue and have never used water from shore, or only sparingly.* *

Our longest period of time on the hook "Unexpectedly/Unplanned" was for one week. Last year while traveling south on the Inside Passage we had to hole up in one heck of a blow. The wind blew day and night to the point where we felt that the smart move was to hold tight. The name of the bay on Admiralty Island escapes me at this moment, sorry. *But it was SW of the Brothers Island Group.*It always pays to have plenty of provisions aboard. Our only company was a few Brown Bears on the Beach and a ton of Bald Eagles that were feeding on fish as the tide turned. We would walk the beach when the tide was out and try to walk out to take a look at Stevens Passage, we had very poor VHF radio contact because of the local Mts. Admirality Island is one of the few place that We always carry a shot gun while on the beach, I always hate to carry a gun! But I'm happy to report that we have never had to use a gun while on our cruising adventures. We ate well and stayed warm.*When the weather calmed down we made our way over to Petersburg a few days late to visit our kids there.

We don't really anchor out long enough to have to worry overly about conserving water.
If I did, or do in the future (I hope), it would not take me long to install a separate raw water source at the galley sink maybe tee off of the washdown pump. Wash dishes in raw water, salt or fresh, and a quick rinse with potable water.

Steve W.
I believe this is common in sail boats and earlier trawlers?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom