Old 12-20-2010, 10:52 AM   #41
Veteran Member

On the Hook

Wow, lots of stuff to cover here.
Longest trip has been 2 weeks and in that time we went to short for supplies 3 times water once and food at all three. We have 400gal fuel, 200gal water, 12kw gen, Satellite & LCD TV which pretty much requires running the Gen twice daily if you run the TV much. We also have a small (apartment sized) Sears chest freezer which when stocked would far out last our two week food need but we also use it for crab bait and that gets it full. My wife uses the sink as though she were home a habit I cant seem to get her to break but Im not about to fight over it and if it means that we have to go to a dock to tank up, so be it after all, this is supposed to be fun. We use the whaler to zip around fishing and to get to shore for daily walks both for the dog and for some good old beach combing.

RE: ground tackle. We use 200 5/16 HTS chain + 200 5/8 rope and a 40# claw (held us + a side tied 40 Spindrift sundeck trawler in 35kt winds without budging). Most mud rinses off the chain on return. When some is on the Anchor / chain I just have my mate put the boat in gear at idle and take us out of the anchorage. Within 3 min. its usually clean. We have a deck washdown but I only use it to wash down the deck

-- Edited by carvendive on Monday 20th of December 2010 11:53:16 AM

carvendive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #42
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: On the Hook

Several people have mentioned leaving the anchor hanging down in the water and motoring forward to let the water wash the mud off it and the chain This is a good practice but it doesn't work on boats with a plumb or nearly-plumb bow unless it has a very long pulpit. On our boat if we do this, the anchor chain angles back and the chain ends up hard against the stem or scraping against one side of the bow or the other. So hosing the muck off is the only practical choice.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #43
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Been out for as long as a week.
Pretty remote here the only place to get water was to rig a hose with a funnel made from a milk jug and find a small waterfall. The wall was pretty steep so we pulled up to shore one person went ashore and held the funnel in the waterfall and filled the tank.

*Then we ran out of beer so we had to head back to the harbor.
Funny how you can live without water.

I have wondered about those little stick thingy's that you put on or in the end of your faucet you have to move it to get the water to flow. Sounds like it would work so the water doesn't flow constantly.*
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #44
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Now I'm wondering whether the new and becoming-to-be-annoying expression "off the hook" has nautical originations.* I still haven't figured out what it means.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:48 PM   #45
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Steve wrote:
... a separate raw water source at the galley sink maybe tee off of the washdown pump. Wash dishes in raw water, salt or fresh, and a quick rinse with potable water.

Steve W.
I believe this is common in sail boats and earlier trawlers?
This was the set up we used on a two week offshore passage with no access to any supplies.* We had ~115 gal of fresh water for 7 people.* Needless to say there were no showers.* There was a salt water pump that supplied the anchor washdown and a sprayer at the galley sink.* dishes got a quick rinse in potable water after a salt water bath.* Baby wipes were a lifesaver, though we ran low at the end and had to ration.* Of course we found more stashed away once we got to our destination.

We planned the menu so that as time went by the meals relied less and less on anything that needed to be refrigerated, just in case we had power issues and lost our reefer.** the last two dinners were 1)*fritos with chilli on top and 2)*tortilla chip casserole--tortilla chips baked with cheese soup (undiluted from the can) and chili.* We still had sour cream in the reefer for topping, and I think*even avocado. *People liked these better than the fancier stuff we did earlier on.* Of course we were all really tired, hungry and smelly by then so who's to say if they would have been such hits earlier on.*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:59 PM   #46
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:

... Wash dishes in raw water, salt or fresh, and a quick rinse with potable water....
...* There was a salt water pump that supplied the anchor washdown and a sprayer at the galley sink.* dishes got a quick rinse in potable water after a salt water bath.. On our last boat we had a salt water tap in the galley and we were*real careful where*we used it.* A friend got real sick with out realizing that the salt water he was rinsing with was very polluted and the quick fresh water rinse didn't remove all the bacteria.*

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Zihuatanejo, MX
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #47

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure

We have a wash down pump outlet on the fore-deck but rarely use it.

If the anchorage is very muddy, we'll*stop the anchor at the surface and reverse to wash the mud off. Works well as you can easily see the anchor over the bow to know when it's clean. Obviously, you need a bit of space behind to do this.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:06 PM   #48
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
On the Hook

Quote:
Larry M wrote:

*It is getting harder and harder to get remote.
That's because you keep going where it is warm. Come on up to Alaska.
And I don't mean south east.*
I can show you places within reach. You won't see another sole for months.
Not that many recreational boaters up here.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 20th of December 2010 04:06:46 PM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #49
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:

Larry M wrote:

*It is getting harder and harder to get remote.
That's because you keep going where it is warm. Come on up to Alaska.
And I don't mean south east.*
I can show you places within reach. You won't see another sole for months.
Not that many recreational boaters up here.

SD*

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 20th of December 2010 04:06:46 PM
Now*we get this great invite, we removed the central heat, installed AC*and we're headed toward the equator.* Maybe next time around.* Thanks,*Merry Christmas.

Larry/Lena

Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #50
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Several people have mentioned leaving the anchor hanging down in the water and motoring forward to let the water wash the mud off it and the chain This is a good practice but it doesn't work on boats with a plumb or nearly-plumb bow unless it has a very long pulpit.
Simple solution, back down slowly. When I anchor in Chesapeake Bay, I break the anchor free, haul up till the chain is still just below the surface, then slowly back down for a couple of minutes. Rinsing Chain is little about speed and more about duration.

Ted
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #51
Scraping Paint

Quote:
O C Diver wrote:

When I anchor in Chesapeake Bay, I break the anchor free, haul up till the chain is still just below the surface, then slowly back down for a couple of minutes.
That probably works well in the open Chesapeake.* In the places we anchor there is usually no room to back down or back very far*as the anchorages are generally pretty small and enclosed*and*we're already pretty close up against the shoreline, which is most often a semi-cliff.* So you have to go forward to find any sort of maneuver room.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #52
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Bendit wrote:

We have a wash down pump outlet on the fore-deck but rarely use it.

We have one also and my wife reminds me to use it.*
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:02 PM   #53
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Mr. Marin.* Could you not do a 180 turn and back into your maneuver room?
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #54
Scraping Paint

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
** Mr. Marin.* Could you not do a 180 turn and back into your maneuver room?
Sometimes, maybe.* But since the places we anchor are often rather narrow it wouldn't buy us much.* Anyway, I've found that the sticky, gooey mud we have in many anchorages up here usually*won't come off from the movement of a chain through the water.* You have to blast it off and the more powerful the blast the more successful it will* be. I see some boaters running a brush over their anchor rode as it comes aboard while they spray it down with water.

So far our "firehose" washdown stream has done a pretty good job by itself*but even at a force of some 23 gpm at some 20 psi*out the nozzle it can take awhile to get the muck off.

A sandy or less "gluey" bottom would be a different deal I expect.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #55
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
* OK, I understand now, thanks.
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 PM   #56
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
On the Hook

When we are inside San Francisco Bay we commonly encounter very sticky, non-soluable, muddy clay, like Marin observes in his cruising grounds. Our salt water wash-down pump has to work hard to remove the glue!

Ray

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Monday 20th of December 2010 07:00:40 PM

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Monday 20th of December 2010 07:01:59 PM
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #57
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

I installed a washdown outlet at the bow. I put two outlets on the pipe, one for a garden hose with a nozzle, one that pipes the water to the bow roller, so the stream intersects the chain as it comes up to the underside of the roller. When the mud is too sticky for this to take it off, I use the nozzle.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #58
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Sticky San Francisco bottom mud was one reason I preferred the Bruce over the large-fluked Danforth type.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote