Old 08-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: Victoria
Thanks everyone for your posts! So, my boat has a Lofrans Tigres windlass with 5/16 HT gypsy (or do they call that the catwalk?) .... though as indicated it is BBB chain. It looks like the Windlass likely could be changed to 3/8" if I can find where to buy the part - so far haven't found a local dealer that carries Lofrans but just started looking.

I think that the windage is a big deal with this particular boat so my sense is if the boat can take the extra weight of heavier chain, and since I didn't really like the look of the connector link options, that likely the 'safest' option would be to get new 3/8" HT and bite the bullet and feel at ease.

Hobo, I noticed that you are 42' KK and assume that since we have relatively similar boats, likely it can handle the additional weight in the front. I have heard that BBB chain does work better in a windlass than does HT, does anyone know why that would be?

Thank you all for info on washing down the chain often. Interestingly in my boat, the 'rusty' chain was definitely the first 110' out and not that on the bottom ... I think from what I am learning about the boat that likely no one has replaced or even swapped the chain end for end for about 9 years.

If I find I can't upgrade the windlass for the bigger chain, then maybe getting HT at least - specially since my chain gypsy (catwalk?) says 5/16 HT.

Thanks again for the shared info!

AlaskaDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #22
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"Were you two born with full on logic or do you work at it every day?"

LOL Thanks Hawg. Not something I hear very often. Oftentimes I would trade for a sense of humour like yours

Old 08-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Rochepoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDreaming View Post
Thanks everyone for your posts! So, my boat has a Lofrans Tigres windlass with 5/16 HT gypsy (or do they call that the catwalk?) .... though as indicated it is BBB chain. It looks like the Windlass likely could be changed to 3/8" if I can find where to buy the part - so far haven't found a local dealer that carries Lofrans but just started looking.

Thanks again for the shared info!
Victory Products in Vancouver is the Canadian distributer for Lofrans. Any of the good local marine stores should be able to order one or try direct:
Victory Products is located at:
8194 Ontario Street. Vancouver, BC. V5X 3E3
Marine Store Hours: 8:00 - 4:30 Monday to Friday
Ph: 604 325-5233 Toll Free: 1-800-324-0414

I replaced mine our Tigres a couple of years ago and Waypoint Marine in Sidney, now Spencers got it for me in a day!.........
Hope this helps!
"Yes, I have the right anchor"
rochepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:08 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info on where to get Lofrans parts! Will give a call tomorrow and see if changing this is possible! Appreciate it!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:52 AM   #25
Guru

AD, another name for the gypsy is "wildcat" (not catwalk). No idea why, but it is.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Yes - wildcat! I knew it was a 'cat' and 'w' word ... too much reading about chain on the internet in the wee hours of the morning ... can't remember the terms and cant find the sites again!

cheers
Old 11-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #27

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
Quote:
I have heard that BBB chain does work better in a windlass than does HT, does anyone know why that would be?
I am considering replacing my current anchor rode with 400' of 3/8" G40 chain plus 100' of nylon.

Anyone know of a problem with the HT chain in a windlass if the proper gypsy is installed?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post

Anyone know of a problem with the HT chain in a windlass if the proper gypsy is installed?
I don't.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #29
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Wish I could go bigger so as to get more weight.
Our maxwell 3500 has the biggest chain wheel now at 13mm (1/2inch) x 300ft of grade L
Not concerned about strength so much as we have already been through several 50 knot and one 80 knot storms with no anchoring issues.

Aparently if I want bigger chain I need a new windlass even though a windlass that takes bigger chain has the same working load as what we have.
I wonder if a foundry could cast a new chain wheel to suit bigger chain and our windlass?
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #30

If you go to bigger chain you will need to replace wild cat. Reversing chain has the advantage of putting "new" chain at the end where load is greatest when raising anchor. Its "new" to the wilcat because it has not been run through the cogs of the wildcat from that end. I did this some years ago and it greatly improved operation. 300 ft is sufficient.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:37 PM   #31

There is no "rope" on a vessel. Only rode or line. No maps either. Just charts.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 11:30 PM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Our maxwell 3500 has the biggest chain wheel now at 13mm (1/2inch) x 300ft of grade L.

Not concerned about strength so much as we have already been through several 50 knot and one 80 knot storms with no anchoring issues.

Apparently if I want bigger chain I need a new windlass even though a windlass that takes bigger chain has the same working load as what we have.
I wonder if a foundry could cast a new chain wheel to suit bigger chain and our windlass?
If so, why bother, just anchor, sit back and enjoy, and don't waste any more money. There will be plenty of other stuff you will consider a must have, I'm sure.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:59 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Our maxwell 3500 has the biggest chain wheel now at 13mm (1/2inch) x 300ft of grade L

Apparently if I want bigger chain I need a new windlass even though a windlass that takes bigger chain has the same working load as what we have.
Better to ask a foundry than TF.
I`m in the "why bother" camp with Peter, you say what you have is tried and tested to work, so why change it? "If it ain`t broken...."
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:37 AM   #34
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. MVD. "There is no "rope" on a vessel." Sorry, there might be 3 ropes on a vessel. Bell rope, bucket rope and a third that I can't remember but it was located high aloft on a 4 masted sailboat.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:28 AM   #35
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. MVD. "There is no "rope" on a vessel." Sorry, there might be 3 ropes on a vessel. Bell rope, bucket rope and a third that I can't remember but it was located high aloft on a 4 masted sailboat.
And I don't know about you but I've got a couple of road maps laying around on my vessel.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:22 AM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDarlin View Post
There is n o "rope" on a vessel. Only rode or line. No maps either. Just charts.
No ropes indeed!
But any line you may have aboard not yet used or employed to a task is rope.

And maps can be quite useful on a boat w no charts. I ran from Prince Rupert Canada to Juneau Alaska using a map. It was the blue and green tourist map found on Alaska State ferries. There were no charts available as it was a busy season and all the charts were bought up .. sold. Found none on the way either. And the map was far far better than no map or chart. My other navagation piece was a little quivering needle see through FS glass compass. Lots of fog just south of Juneau too. Was a great trip .. the best.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:16 AM   #37
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Wifey B: Line is just a euphemism for rope, yachties wanting to sound fancy. You can call a rose anything you want but it's still a rose. Same with rope. Nomad is also right technically I think that it's a rope until used as a line. When you go to the store to buy it, you buy rope. Oh, and port is still left when facing forward, and aft is still the back and bow the front, the bridge is upstairs and the cabins are downstairs. Engine room is also in the basement. We boaters are a bit of a pretentious group, renaming everything.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 01:43 PM   #38
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Salon or saloon? Family Room?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #39
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Salon or saloon? Family Room?
Wifey B: Cabin or Stateroom? Living room? Dining room or Breakfast room and is it illegal to eat lunch in the breakfast room? Kitchen or Galley? Bathroom, Restroom or Head? If there is no tub or shower can it still be a bathroom? Restroom? I don't go to the toilet to rest.

Languages are funny. Restaurant with Home Cooking. It wasn't cooked in anyone's home or I hope not. Mom's apple pie? Not my mom's. Whose mom? Sara Lee's not my mom, she's a conglomerate. I do like the Pillsbury Doughboy. He's cute, but has anyone noticed the resemblance to the Michelin dude? Family?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #40
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Better to ask a foundry than TF.
I`m in the "why bother" camp with Peter, you say what you have is tried and tested to work, so why change it? "If it ain`t broken...."
I have no intention on replacing it yet, but when the chain does need replacing if I can get a chain wheel cast at a reasonable price and up the chain size when replacing, it'd be a worthwhile exercise IMHO.

Overkill maybe, but she's a big chunk of boat and silly size anchoring gear is cheap insurance.

Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote