Old 08-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I've talked about this before and there is winches that have both gypsy and capstan drum on the same side of the winch. WHY WOULD ANY MANUFACTURER DO IT ANY OTHER WAY??? Must be easier to make and thus cheaper.
One could put 2 vertical shafts w rollers for the line work. I see you have a very nice winch so would probably not want to change even if you could fine one w all the business on the same side. Perhaps I'm showing my ignorance ... is there a good reason why they make them the way they do?
Some windlasses use a line/chain gypsy as one solution...the other is that many cruisers have all chain on one side and line/chain on the other. If the bow roller assembly is a good one, the line doesn't have to come up as straight as chain anyhow.

I don't even see it as an issue....maybe neither do the windlass manufacturers...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Eric, I think they figure a rope rode is more forgiving in terms of direction of pull, however, although my set-up is similar to the above, the alignment of the winch on the pulpit was offset somewhat, so the direction of pull is not so out of line with the roller. All the same, I think Aquabelle's would still haul a rope in. You would just have to make sure the standing part, (ie that coming in off the roller), was held towards the outside of the gypsy so it did not work it's way off it by the lopsided pull. I suspect feeding tailing end off by hand with a leftwise tension would suffice, Aquabelle.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #23
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Thanks guys, next weekend I'll give it a try as-is & report back.
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I routinely use a capstan w a drum and the deviation from perfect alignment can't be even seen but the line walks off to one side so strongly I need to pull hard in the other direction to keep things just barely working. But I should add that my drum is not "U" shaped like most. It's flat most of the way across and 45 degrees at either end but I have to work hard to keep the line from going right off the edge of the drum. I'm going to try and find a "U" shaped drum to fit my shaft.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #25
Guru

Handling an out-of-alignment rope drum

Walked the marina this morning to look at how others had addressed the issue of the rope drum being out of alignment with the bow roller, on chain gypsy/rope drum windlasses.

Found several vessels that just had a seperate bow roller mounted on the bow in line with the drum...but I took a photo of one that seems to be a real belt-and-braces approach. This windlass has TWO chain gypsys on each side inboard (leading to a single anchor deployment roller on the bow) and outboard of these ON EACH SIDE are rope drums...with additional rollers in line ! So this guy could theoretically put out 3 bow anchors ! Note it is all very neat and well done. I don't know the owner and he wasn't around, but I will try to track him down to understand how he uses all this or whether it just came with the boat.

I also found one vessel with a 'perfect' solution: a Maxwell windlass with both dual chain gypsys either side AND a vertical capstan (rode drum) in line and ABOVE the gypsys. I've attached a photo of this from the Maxwell website.

(I still plan to try the drum with its current mis-alingment to the bow roller this weekend and will report back)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rope rode handling.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	12450  
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #26
TF Site Team

Wow, that's some arrangement there - cope with anything. Must have cost a bomb. However, at the end of the day, unless you routinely anchor in very deep water, all chain is just easier anyway. I have never used the rope gypsy on my boat.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 AM   #27
Guru

Peter: but have you ever had to deploy your storm/spare anchor in an emergency? Say gypsy jammed/broken, main anchor lost or not holding, vessel has no pwr and drifting towards reef. You throw the storm anchor over and it doesn't set and you need to retrieve and try again.....I think it is this sort of situation that longer-distance cruisers want to protect against. Doesn't seem right that many of us have rope drums but are not set up practically to use them....
Old 08-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Manyboats wrote...
Originally Posted by manyboats
Marin has a Subaru and I wouldn't have one of them. He has (I'm sure) excellent reasons for his choice...

Snap! Our second car is a Subaru Outback also Eric, that's one vehicle even Jeremy Clarkson of (British) Top Gear says he approves of, and he's really picky...so maybe you better re-think your car preferences as well Eric...we can't all be wrong.
Except with some miles and wear,those Subaru boxer engines start sounding like a 1960 VW beetle....(putting on my flak jacket right now).
With you on carrying the single Sarca anchor though, faithful CQR in the lazarette ready to go, just in case.
BruceK
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:46 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -
We use the gypsy (line drum) on the port side of our lofrans tigres horizontal windlass to pull in our anchor trip line. The tigres is mouted so the wildcat lines up with the pulpit rollers, which puts the gypsy off to port by quite a bit.

But we actually feed the trip line through the port bow hawse and then up to the line gypsy. So it is way out of line with the gypsy. Probably a 20 degree angle or so. But we have no problems at all hauling up the trip line even with a lot of weight on it. Two or three wraps around the gypsy is all that's needed and the line doesn't try to walk off the gypsy at all. It does work on the port side of the gypsy but it has no tendency to come off. It sounds, Eric, like the gypsy on your windlass doesn't have much of a concave surface to it or has a very low rim if it walks off to the side as you describe.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2311480636.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	12472
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquabelle View Post
Peter: but have you ever had to deploy your storm/spare anchor in an emergency? Say gypsy jammed/broken, main anchor lost or not holding, vessel has no pwr and drifting towards reef. You throw the storm anchor over and it doesn't set and you need to retrieve and try again.....I think it is this sort of situation that longer-distance cruisers want to protect against. Doesn't seem right that many of us have rope drums but are not set up practically to use them....
Never had to deal with your scenario Aquabelle, but I know my spare anchor and mainly rope rode would work and cope ok if needed. I was used to using a Danforth on my yachts. Just that it has never happened as the Sarca is just so damned good, as you will know by now - or soon will - once you've cruised on it a bit. After all, your #9 is 41.2 kg = ~90lb, and rated for up to 28 metres or 32 tonne, so it is certainly an adequate weight. Even FF would agree with that I think.