Galvanized chain bought 20 years ago, what is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I bought at West Marine long ago. 6 feet of chain.
Too big for 5/16 and too small for 3/8.

Inner link size is 1.25"
Inner link opening is 0.49"
link widths are all 0.357"

Links marked frequently with 'TK' and 'M4'

I was planning on using on the anchor, then attach the 3 braid line using shackles. I am thinking it could be 5/16 grade 40, which is also 43, and a 3900 lb WLL.
??

Attachments

• 20180621_072548.jpg
    20180621_072548.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
And is it awful that all the bigger shackles I have seen are rated at half the strength of the smaller chain for a WLL.

Anchor shackle is the weak link. Is this the common thing people use to connect their anchors?

Example for 7/16 shackles.
WLL is 2000
https://www.bosunsupplies.com/7-16-Inch-Stainless-Steel-Anchor-Shackle-S0116-FS12.html

WLL is 2500
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...tainless-Steel-Anchor-Shackle-41554/205882863

great price, although for 3/8 shackle has 1/2 inch pin which for me wont fit, but a lot cheaper.
https://www.amazon.com/MarineNow-St...ywords=3/8+chain+shackle+stainless&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:
unfortunately you really need to use galv steel shackles. As you see, SS just doesn't have the strength.

3400 lbs will be ok for these forged ss shackles. They are a perfect fit to the chain. Not binding and not too small, I mean perfect.
SS with a WLL of 3410 lbs, but afterwards they will distort. So if they get hard to open you will know they exceeded their WLL
Seeing most of the rode is nylon, likely that will absorb a lot of stress.

What do people do?

The wife just 30 minutes ago backed our car into a utility pole at the foot of the driveway, wiping out the rear quarter panel, she thought she was further over. She scraped by it pushed it in several inches as I sat there on the house steps watching, nothing I could do. That falls on me to have to fix, since it is an older car, and we do not have comprehensive insurance on it. They would just total it anyway! But I like the car and now it looks like crap. It would have been better to not have actually watched it happen I think. I wish I hadn't seen it. The house is my passed away in law's house we are almost done getting it to market. And there is this dumb utility pole at the foot of the driveway, and I always knew it was a problem, that someone someday was going to crunch into it. The neighbors have a similar pole, and they put a wood fence up to that pole which helps you to orient the car , IF your actually paying attention to what you are doing.

So as she pulls forward, I watch pieces falling off the car...

Attachments

• 20180623_155321.jpg
    20180623_155321.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom