Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

City: Saanich BC
Vessel Name: Therapi
Vessel Model: 1998 Bayliner 4087
Galley Maid Windlass

Greetings: I realize that this issue has been front and centre a number times, but I believe that I have one. It is a vertical rope/chain device which requires hand recovery of line and chain. Rope on top, chain directly below. Issue is that it needs repair. Has anyone got a manual for this device. Will pay any costs. As well any thoughts about the windlass other than replacing it. Regards Bill.
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I have a drum winch and think it would be nearly impossible to use a vertical drum by hand. It would seem to me that a horizontal drum would be required. It's possible you could have an idler pulley/roller aft of the vertical drum to allow you to stand on deck and pull on the rode. That may not work well either ... just a thought.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #3

Manyboats: I agree, but this windlass is similar to that of a sail boats sail handling type, a rope capstan mounted above a chain wheel. Similar to the Lawrence Sprint, but does not have a chain feed into a locker. Wrapping the line rode clockwise twice and then tailing it enables the windlass to work, now to chain, the chain is then placed in the chain wheel and spills onto the deck. One must keep hands clear as there is no forgiveness with the chain. At the first opportunity I shall replace it with a proper windlass, but for the short term it is either handraulic anchor recovery or some assistance from this device. Regards Bill.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Do a web search on the term "Galley Maid Windlass" and you will get several pages of hits including some vendors who could probably help you locate a manual.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #5

Greetings: Thanks for the advice re search. Found Galley, now located at 60 NE 1110 Okeechobee Fl or Home, e mail galleymaid@yahoo.com. Once again we boating masochists have risen to the occasion. Bill.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #6

Greetings; Heard back from Galley Maid. Not their windlass so the search goes on. However email address is galleymaid@standard.net. Another fact which might be of interest is that they have 120/240 volt windlass. This woud l certainly reduce the wiring issue and running the genny whilst recovering the anchor would not be a concern. Once thanks for all who replied. Here, I hope is a picture of the underdeck motor of the windlass.
Attached Thumbnails
P1010862.jpg  
Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Greetings: Thanks for the advice re search. Found Galley, now located at 60 NE 1110 Okeechobee Fl or Home, e mail galleymaid@yahoo.com. Once again we boating masochists have risen to the occasion. Bill.
Ain't google great!

And thank Al Gore for inventing the Internet!
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
FF
Guru

A real Galley Maid , an Ideal or these days perhaps a Lighthouse would be on the top of my list for a keeper boat.

The Italian made stuff or Chinese copy's , sold by a variety of labels would be for the dockside boat condo requirement , not a cruiser that likes to anchor out.

If a complete refit is in the works , why not Hyd? The best?

In the larger sizes the windlass is usually recovered from scrapped boats , Quality used (and oversized) usually beats low cost modern.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
A real Galley Maid , an Ideal or these days perhaps a Lighthouse would be on the top of my list for a keeper boat.

The Italian made stuff or Chinese copy's , sold by a variety of labels would be for the dockside boat condo requirement , not a cruiser that likes to anchor out.

If a complete refit is in the works , why not Hyd? The best?

In the larger sizes the windlass is usually recovered from scrapped boats , Quality used (and oversized) usually beats low cost modern.
I have a Galley Maid and the guys in FL are great to deal with. I also have their heads and they are the bee knees. As to the winch this thing is a beast. It will pull our 60,000lbs without even slowing down. Great equipment.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #10

Greetings to all. The search was interesting and yes Galley responed quickly deneighing that the windlass was one of theirs. So, it continues. However I did ask them about their 120v unit. But no reply as of this date. From what FF implied are the units mfg in US or imported? That is a good question given the lack of standards applied in some far away countries. Interesting however is that the importer who's name appears on the products should be the sole place where liability rests for not meeting an acceptable or national standard for the product. Another point, what is Hopcar's business email address. If you are on line contact me with your business number at majorwf@hurontel.on.ca Thanks, Bill
Old 12-07-2012, 05:46 AM   #11
FF
Guru

That is a good question given the lack of standards applied in some far away countries. Interesting however is that the importer who's name appears on the products should be the sole place where liability rests for not meeting an acceptable or national standard for the product.

WAY WAY larger sized windlass before any "national standard requirement".

A $1000 to $5000 unit will have a warentee for a few months , but a "standard" with proven values , no way.

Just as unless for charter , there are no standards met by the usual yacht.

Now if its for the ESSO Maru, there will be a standard
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Check with Ideal (very nice people), they make AC windlasses, and the Galley Maids are a knock off of their designs. 401.884.2550
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #13
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Cyclone,
Here is my setup at present. Works quite well. I've anchored about 30 times w this configuration and I'm sure Fred will not approve of my windlass. It's VERY noisy, Cheap ($400), small and amazingly powerful ... for it's size. My anchors are mostly 18 to 22lbs w about 10' of chain (2 sizes). My boat is almost small enough to hand anchor but not quite. When in operation I stand to stbd w my foot on the winch switch and feed the nylon line into the anchor box on deck where it stays at all times.

For smaller trawlers what most trawler guys feel is "proper" ground tackle may not be necessary. Pulling on the line wrapped around the drum at times does get become a bit of work but I'm 72.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0161 copy 2.jpg  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote